1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Shaman discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Humint, Jan 12, 2016.

1. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Super excited for this one. I do hope they use a floating stop pin instead of a fastened one. Only problem I have with the current comp lock on the PM2.

2. MaxFisher

MaxFisher

Feb 5, 2005
    What advantage does the floating pin offer over the fastened one?

3. FriarPhenn

FriarPhenn

Dec 28, 2014
    If I understand the concept correctly, a floating pin has the freedom to rotate, which means you spread wear on the pin out evenly. On a fixed stop pin, the pin wears in the same spot and can, eventually, produce minor-to-significant blade play.

4. MaxFisher

MaxFisher

Feb 5, 2005
    Is the fastened pin on the PM2 adjustable by the user? I understand this requires the user to loosen the screws, rotate, the pin, and retighten but wouldn't that serve the same purpose?

5. FriarPhenn

FriarPhenn

Dec 28, 2014
    It would. But far less convenient than a floating pin. And with a floating pin you don't run the risk of potentially voiding the warranty.

6. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Yes, Friar has the right idea. Also I don't think a load bearing part like the stop pin should be fastened. That's a loose screw waiting to happen. Also being so close to the pivot, it adds another point of tension that needs to be dialed in.

I actually had an old PM2 that I ran with out he screws for the stop pin since the pin is nested in the liners already. Could not get the stick away with the screws in. Functioned flawlessly with out them.

7. Ruarch

Ruarch

Jul 4, 2015
    When I heard about this knife at first I was excited. But now the more I think about it it has become my number one knife in my queue. :D

8. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Handled the Shaman at Blade last year. I would also appreciate a wire clip on it!

9. TheOutdoorNerd

TheOutdoorNerd

Oct 30, 2015
    Pretty please come tip-up out of the box.

10. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    All Native models before the 5 have had only tip up carry, I believe, and the 5 comes tip up. Plus most Spydercos come tip up now. So I'd say it's pretty likely.

11. wire edge

wire edge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2001
    The Native has always been a little on the small side for me. I think the Shaman might remedy that! Really looking forward to seeing one.

12. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016
    Lets also hope this thing has milled out liners so its not over 5 ounces like the Manix.

13. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I keep looking here for a photo of this potential great one :thumbup:

:confused:

14. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    It sounds like an awesome model upcoming but I'm doubtful that I'll get one anytime soon>> mainly because I think they got it right with the Native model. The Golden CO USA made Native has been one of my favorite hard use folders for quite some time now. The 440V blade I have on my original USA made NATIVE takes punishment like few other folders I've ever used.

This SHAMAN model I'm sure will be a big hit and if they make one in full Spyderedge I will definitely be on the lookout for that one for sure. Because in a Spyderedged selection I can see where a longer blade would offer up a few more advantages. I'm also curious as to which blade steel they will offer it in. I've been wanting a Spyder with XHP steel in full Spyderedge and hopefully this might be the one.

15. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Quick thought: looking at the jimping and how it sits above the frame when closed, I wonder if this could be opened like a front flipper?

I'm ecstatic. I've been waiting for this knife to come out since I was gifted the Native FRN and searched google to learn about it and found this forum. The Native is my favorite line of knives, but the main grip area has always been juuuust long enough and on the edge of not being long enough for a full grip for me. I saw the old rumors of the Shaman and have always hoped they'd actually make it. I never preorder knives and I think I'm gonna preorder this.

16. gonebad395

gonebad395 Ironworker!

May 19, 2015
    I can't wait for this knife when I saw it I knew it would become a edc right away.

17. Chinook3

Chinook3

Jun 21, 2015
    The "high saber grind" is a really nice surprise on this knife! The contoured scales are very much welcomed.:cool:

18. bh49

bh49

Dec 27, 2005
    I love my Natives and carry one of them every day. Great ergos.
    I am waiting for Shaman for few years already. It will be near perfect knife for me. Hopefully will see it before end of the year.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy

Jan 30, 2012
    I am anxiously awaiting this knife too, Roman. I hope it meets all your expectations. How do you feel about the Shaman being a compression lock vs lock back like the Native?

NG VI likes this.
  20. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Been wanting a larger Native for a long time. This looks to be the perfect Spyderco.

NG VI likes this.