Spyderco Shaman discussion thread.

I am anxiously awaiting this knife too, Roman. I hope it meets all your expectations. How do you feel about the Shaman being a compression lock vs lock back like the Native?
I love lock back for easy operation. I owned few compression locks, but never carried them. It was a little awkward to operate, but I think that this is a matter of habit. I hope that this will not be a problem. Only time will tell.
What do you feel about compression lock on Shaman?

The Shaman's MSRP is $249.95 and is listed at BladeHQ at $149.97 and is coming soon

The Shaman's MSRP is $249.95 and is listed at BladeHQ at $149.97 and is coming soon
Funny. I was thinking:" Hopefully it will be under $150". Coming soon is nice. I am ready.

I selected a compression lock because I wanted to make very strong, but light model. I believe I can get more strength out of a compression lock than a lock-back for the weight of the materials used.
Sir,
Thank you for insite.

I love back locks on Spydercos but I really like the fact that this is will be a compression lock, to me it makes not just a bigger native but something new altogether. Plus the compression locking system is genius and just more fun and original than a back lock.

I selected a compression lock because I wanted to make very strong, but light model. I believe I can get more strength out of a compression lock than a lock-back for the weight of the materials used.

Thanks Sal...stepped pivot on the Shaman like on PM2?

I love lock back for easy operation. I owned few compression locks, but never carried them. It was a little awkward to operate, but I think that this is a matter of habit. I hope that this will not be a problem. Only time will tell.
What do you feel about compression lock on Shaman?
Hi Roman. I'm glad Sal chimed in with his thoughts on the matter. I was thinking maybe a compression lock was selected as a manufacturing cost savings decision (no need to finish large steel back-spacer like the G10 Native). In either case, the Shaman certainly will be a completely different knife as designed. It will no longer be ambidextrous but will feature open construction. Personally, I like the compression lock. It is very strong and IMO more secure/safe than the traditional lock back. It is also fun to play with like the Axis lock and flippers. :D I think it will be a great knife but I also believe it is too different to characterize as a member of the Native family; there's more differences than similarities. I still look forward to trying one when they arrive. I hope you can overlook the compression lock and find enjoyment in the knife just the same. Best wishes.

Something other than S30V plz, if it's like a larger Native 5, why didn't it also get S35VN at the least?

I'm really looking forward to this one! Not thrilled about S30V, but I can live with it. It must be really robust to be over 5 ounces! That surprises me.

Something other than S30V plz, if it's like a larger Native 5, why didn't it also get S35VN at the least?
Frankly I never was able to see any differences between S30V and S35Vn. Can you tell me what differences you see?

Frankly I never was able to see any differences between S30V and S35Vn. Can you tell me what differences you see?

Slightly better edge holding, easier sharpening (not a lot different when using diamond hones), and s35vn doesn't chip as easily. My s30v pm2 got a chip in it after a week.

Sweet. Hoping to see some Shaman sprint runs in early 2018 rather than later...

As a lefty, I have always regarded the compression lock as ambidextrous. For one-hand closing, I close it similar to the way I think many people probably close a backlock -- just depress the lock tab with your thumb and catch the choil with your middle finger (forefinger if right handed), then close with your thumb, pants leg or whatever. I don't see any problem with that. Of course, if you're right handed, you can more easily depress the tab with your fingertip and swing the blade in with one action. But if you like, you can grip the handle with all four fingers and depress the tab with your thumb like a backlock. Like Roman says, I think it is a matter of habit.

Last edited:
In BladeHQ's BLADE video, Eric says he hopes the Shaman to hit the market within 90 days! "Blades pumping through the factory right now".

:D

Got to handle the Shaman and Police 4 today at Blade. Looks like I'll be picking these up once they are released! The Shaman is really really nice! Was nice chatting with Eric as well!

Native was my EDC for 10 yrs. The Shaman will be ordered next, this looks to be a really outstanding EDC. I will be nitpicky and wish it was something other than S30v but thanks Glessers for continuing to improve and give the customers what we desire. Cradle to grave, you guys have that all sewn up in the knife world.

Back