Spyderco Siren Lock Issue

... We have made some major changes in the management in our factory as the "fix" for the Siren was not satisfactory. Eric has now taken over management in the factory to sort out a number of issues, of which the Siren lock was one.

Bravo, Sal. I appreciate the respect you show your customers by being candid. That takes integrity and courage, which I will support with my continuing trust and patronage.

Hi Elgatodeacero,

I'm sorry for your disappointment and I apologize for out time line on this. We have made some major changes in the management in our factory as the "fix" for the Siren was not satisfactory. Eric has now taken over management in the factory to sort out a number of issues, of which the Siren lock was one.

I'm sorry that you have suspended buying or products, though I would request that you be patient. Considering the hundreds of models that we make and the millions of pieces we have in the field for the past 45 years, that you not place all of your judgement of Spyderco on one model for which we are having problems.

sal
Thank you for the update and insight on the issue/changes going on. I'm sure you'll take care of this.

Unfortunately, for me the fix took too long and I moved on from the Siren. Too bad, as Lance's design is truly great and the steel is phenomenal. I just couldn't personally have that much knife real-estate tied up in my collection on a model I don't want to carry because of an issue like this. I've recently cut down the stable a bunch, but maybe in the future as things get sorted, I'll give the Siren another chance.

No worries though, the Pacific Salt 2 LC200n and last gen Pacific Salt have been my main carry for most of the summer. Not sure I'd pick the Siren over a combo of those two for my Salt needs anyway, if it all came down to that. Love these two knives!

XghICXJh.jpg

NIay308h.jpg

CCbxjjdh.jpg

Ref: Siren Issue….

No longer wish to support a company that acknowledges a defect, does not address it with a solution (for over a year) and provides nothing but excuses to its customers. At one point three months ago I owned almost 50 Spyderco knives. I now own 9 and I’ll never purchase another. In my opinion, Spyderco has become a premier marketer of exclusives and sprint runs to the detriment of their customer base. I no longer wish to play that game.

No longer wish to support a company that acknowledges a defect, does not address it with a solution (for over a year) and provides nothing but excuses to its customers. At one point three months ago I owned almost 50 Spyderco knives. I now own 9 and I’ll never purchase another. In my opinion, Spyderco has become a premier marketer of exclusives and sprint runs to the detriment of their customer base. I no longer wish to play that game.
So you sold/lost/donated almost 41 Spyderco knives in three months because…..one model out of literal hundreds has a lock up issue that affects an unknown portion of the units sold? I aspire to be as righteous and strong willed as you.

So you sold/lost/donated almost 41 Spyderco knives in three months because…..one model out of literal hundreds has a lock up issue that affects an unknown portion of the units sold? I aspire to be as righteous and strong willed as you.
Perhaps someday. :)

So you have been selling off your Spyderco collection for the past 3 months and now you only own 9 of them? What did you do with the DLT Para 3 M390 that you snagged at the end of last week? Seems odd to be picking up a Spyderco when you're disposing of the rest of your collection. Did you have a Siren? Did you have a Siren with a lock issue?

So you have been selling off your Spyderco collection for the past 3 months and now you only own 9 of them? What did you do with the DLT Para 3 M390 that you snagged at the end of last week? Seems odd to be picking up a Spyderco when you're disposing of the rest of your collection. Did you have a Siren? Did you have a Siren with a lock issue?

First: Not that it’s any of your business but that Para 3 was a request from my son as a birthday present.

Second: Of course I had a Siren….still have it. Yes it has the issue. Not going to dispose of it (due to the lockup flaw) and pass what I consider a defective product on to someone else.

G’bye Sir.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about selling mine, but don’t feel like I should pass a defect on to someone else. I’m hopeful that Spyderco will offer a solution that will please current owners affected. They have a history of making things right.

We will surely offer a solution and you have my sincere apology for the length of time it's taking. We have been working steadily on it, and the "fixes" which we invested much time and funds on did not work.

The Factory manager thought he had a fix and cut thousands of blades and locks, which fixed the "Pop up", but he interface didn't work well and the the locks defeated. So back to the engineers. They found that they had to move the lock pivot to a few different locations and test to find the sweet spot. Remember a thousands of an inch makes a difference. Now we have found the sweet spot for the lock pivot and we're testing before running thousands of more blades and locks. One we've tested and approved of the new pivot location, they we'll begin building replacement models.

sal

First: Not that it’s any of your business but that Para 3 was a request from my son as a birthday present.

Second: Of course I had a Siren….still have it. Yes it has the issue. Not going to dispose of it (due and to the lockup flaw) and pass what I consider a defective product on to someone else.

G’bye Sir.
Since you are selling your collection I would get that defective Siren out of your sight for $80.

Im the OP, just wanted to chime in cos i havent been back to check on the thread for some time. Lets not be too hard on spyderco, design mistakes happen. Trust me nobody was more bummed than me, i waited on the edge of my seat for its release, being in Australia i paid a ridiculous amount of $ to get my hands on a Siren early, i hope one day i can get mine swapped out cos I've shelved it since i discovered the issue. And sorry for all the drama its probably caused Sal, i just want my Siren back in the pocket :)

Checking in: I just got the Siren in late October, looks like mine has this issue as well, and I got it from a reputable seller. Has this been sorted yet?

If we are expecting a fix fairly soon, I will hang onto the Siren until the fix is available. I love the design and the steel, and meanwhile, I'm not lacking for knife options to carry--quite the reverse actually. :p

Has Spyderco considered allowing people to trade a Siren in for a Waterway?

The Siren is a little more expensive than the Waterway, but at least we could safely use our knife?

I am hopeful Spyderco is working on a fix, but I am concerned these Siren’s are still being made and sold new? If only some Siren’s have the problem can I just mail mine in and swap it for a Siren that locks up correctly? I am a little confused about all this.

Has Spyderco considered allowing people to trade a Siren in for a Waterway?

The Siren is a little more expensive than the Waterway, but at least we could safely use our knife?

I am hopeful Spyderco is working on a fix, but I am concerned these Siren’s are still being made and sold new? If only some Siren’s have the problem can I just mail mine in and swap it for a Siren that locks up correctly? I am a little confused about all this.
I don't think they are still being made with the issue. Looks like if you can find an old stock available at a dealer/seller they are still being sold, which makes sense.

Though I already moved on from the Siren, I'm still hoping for a resolution, sooner rather than later, for those still interested.

I don't think they are still being made with the issue. Looks like if you can find an old stock available at a dealer/seller they are still being sold, which makes sense.

Though I already moved on from the Siren, I'm still hoping for a resolution, sooner rather than later, for those still interested.
Why don’t you think they are still being made with the issue?

Why don’t you think they are still being made with the issue?
Because of everything sal has said in this thread (and the one on the spyderco company forum), specifically the massive effort that went into redesign and eventual failure of cutting tons of new blades, which included a shake up of factory management over the project. Hard to believe that while all that was going on, they've been still making the flawed blades, no?

Also, it doesn't seem like they are in stock very many places, meaning the supply has shut off.

Back