Spyderco Spydiechef vs Gayle Bradley 2 vs Advocate

Spydiechef vs GB2 vs Advocate

• Total voters

Knifeaddict556

Gold Member
Looking at these 3 Spydercos. Love to hear your opinions. Will mostly be used for just normal EDC. Thanks

I'm in the minority around here, in that I didn't care for the GB1 in hand. The GB2 looks better to me...but, at the same time, I'm fairly confident I wouldn't like it any better.
Aside from the appeal of LC200N, I didn't feel any desire to own the Spydiechef.
The Advocate, for me, was a must-have as soon as I saw it. I bought it, carry it, use it, like it, and still own it.

All very good pocket knives.

I only own the GB2.

Pros:
Great steel. Sharpens easy and holds edge well.
Fairly slim carry.
Neutral handle.
Very nice fit and finish.
Smooth deployment.
Nice carbon fiber weave.
Good cutting performance from grind geometry. Hollow ground.
The blade to handle ratio is nice and relatively even.
Solid lock up, no rock.
Pocket clip finish resists scratches.
Flow through design to clean easy.
4 way adjustable pocket clip.

Cons:
Will rust from pocket condensation. You’ll need to care for the steel as you would any high carbon blade.
Proud liners look neat but can create hot spots on hard cutting in hammer grip.
Carbon fiber is peel/ply.
No lanyard hole like the GB1.

I cannot speak about Advocate.
I own Spydiechef and used to own GB1.

I highly recommend Spydiechef.
It is a good slicer in the modern variety with a utilitarian blade shape.
The action is fantastic, too.
The lock up is quite late, and lock disengaging can be a bit difficult.
The steel is easy to sharpen and take a keen edge.

Chef_best2.JPG

GB1 is a really good knife, too.
GB2 looks just better to me.

I only have the Spydiechef but I really like it. At times it feels to "nice" to be an EDC knife, that's the only catch I find with it.

I have an advocate and had a GB2. The GB2 was pretty but wasn’t great in the hand. I acquired an M4 PM2 in carbon fiber along w/ the advocate which made the GB2 expendable by scratching the Gayle Bradley itch.

The advocate is one of my favorite knives, but I definitely have a type. I like blades 3-3.5 inches in a high end steel with a thin profile like the advocate, arcane, anthem, and ZT 0470.

Not to hijack the thread, but if my specs remind anyone of a particular knife, please feel free to pass along suggestion.

The Spydiechef is my favorite knife(currently). I just like the size, shape and overall execution. The lc200n is neither here nor there.

IMG-20190424-163233-307.jpg

The Advocate would be my next choice. I had one on loan earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be picking one up in the near future. It's not a flipper's flipper(if that's a thing), but it does flip well enough. I'll probably grind the tab off and just use the spydiehole.

20190215-172745.jpg

The GB2 would be my last choice of the three. Not because it's a bad knife, but because I simply prefer the other two. It's definitely the bargain of the bunch though and punches WAY above its weight class.

IMG-20170603-103244-746.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in the minority around here, in that I didn't care for the GB1 in hand. The GB2 looks better to me...but, at the same time, I'm fairly confident I wouldn't like it any better.
Aside from the appeal of LC200N, I didn't feel any desire to own the Spydiechef.
The Advocate, for me, was a must-have as soon as I saw it. I bought it, carry it, use it, like it, and still own it.

You'd probably like the GB2 a lot more than the GB1. I too hated the GB1 in hand, but really liked the GB2. I just didn't like the CF laminate and nobody was making scales for it at the time.

GB2 has my vote. It Contends for all-time-favorite knife honors with my Shirogorov. It's simply bomb proof, in my book. I've not had the others, but you may toss in a vote for the Southard, which is also a heck of a value.

I voted GB2. Spydiechef is just as awesome. The Advocate is probably my favorite knife, but Spydercos bearing game SUCKS. It feels and flips terribly, and it keeps me from carrying it. I only keep it because I Admire the design so much. If it flipped like a ZT or any of my Hinderers it would be a killer knife.

This is just my own opinion, I really like Spyderco but they need to up their bearing game if they want to keep making flippers, or just stop making them which would be fine with me as well. :)

I don’t own an advocate. I do have a gb2 and a chef.
I’d choose the chef for an edc knife.
The gb2 is a really nice looking knife. Plus it has a great steel. It’s a winner too.
I just find the chef disappears in my pocket. Simple. Easy to maintain. Feels great in hand.
If you plan on really putting your knife through the wringer, maybe the gb2 would be better.
For just day to day edc tasks, I’d take the chef.

N
I cannot speak about Advocate.
I own Spydiechef and used to own GB1.

I highly recommend Spydiechef.
It is a good slicer in the modern variety with a utilitarian blade shape.
The action is fantastic, too.
The lock up is quite late, and lock disengaging can be a bit difficult.
The steel is easy to sharpen and take a keen edge.

Chef_best2.JPG

GB1 is a really good knife, too.
GB2 looks just better to me.

I really want to love the Spydie chef because it is really nicely built and everything. However I really dislike the blade shape.

I voted GB2. Spydiechef is just as awesome. The Advocate is probably my favorite knife, but Spydercos bearing game SUCKS. It feels and flips terribly, and it keeps me from carrying it. I only keep it because I Admire the design so much. If it flipped like a ZT or any of my Hinderers it would be a killer knife.

This is just my own opinion, I really like Spyderco but they need to up their bearing game if they want to keep making flippers, or just stop making them which would be fine with me as well. :)

I don't think it's actually the bearings that are the issue with the Advocate. I think it's the detent track. The lockbar seems to have quite a bit of tension and the blade finish, while lovely, is a bit course which creates a lot of friction on that little detent ball.

I carried it for a few days purposely only using the spydiehole to open it and honestly think it's better that way. I think it'll be better looking without that tab too. We'll find out eventually, if I ever get around to buying one.

I don't think it's actually the bearings that are the issue with the Advocate. I think it's the detent track. The lockbar seems to have quite a bit of tension and the blade finish, while lovely, is a bit course which creates a lot of friction on that little detent ball.

I carried it for a few days purposely only using the spydiehole to open it and honestly think it's better that way. I think it'll be better looking without that tab too. We'll find out eventually, if I ever get around to buying one.
You make a good point, and I have never thought about grinding the flipper tab off until now. It actually is nicer to use with the thumb hole. I’d be very interested to see how it turns out if you decide to go that route!

Not to distract from the initial topic; but the first version of the Advocate did have issues. The thin washers that sandwiched the bearing cage would cup; and some reported cracking/splitting of the travel worn area. Mine is from that period - I ordered it before the issue was publicized - and, while the action has never felt smooth, it has also not worsened...and I've never had it fail to fully open & lock, like some other flippers. Of course, I'm not a fidget flipper; so mine has probably seen less cycling in the time I've owned it to date than the affected ones did in the first couple months. (For those that don't know, Spyderco stopped production and revised the knife to address this.) I haven't handled the revised/"CQI" version, so I can't comment on its action.

Out of the 3 id prefer the GB2. I owned the GB1 and i liked the design, just hated the M4 steel due to it being a non stainless and with the summer environments in GA, its prone to rust if you dont take care of it.

I don't own any of them, but if it it were my money, and for my use, I'd go Chef purely because of the steel. Not because I'm a steel snob, but because it doesn't rust just by looking at it with teary eyes.
(hyperbole, don't hang me)

I don't mind the occasional maintenance of knives, but high carbon steels and my approach to knives just doesn't blend.

Either GB2 or Chief would be my choice

I have a GB2 and UMO it is one of the best Spyderco in term of quality/value

I got the GB2 mainly because I was looking to test m4 from Spyderco and for the price the GB2 appeared as a bargain

After almost 2 years using the knife most of the time for working in the backyard and sometime as EDC I really enjoy it.
I have used my Dremmel to make the access to the lock bar easier and it make a good difference in use

The M4 is a great steel and take a nice patina

If this last point is an issue or if you intend to make some food prep I think theChief is a better option

Back