Spyderco Yojimbo 2 Review (PHOTOHEAVY)

So recently I was sent a pleasant little package from Sypderco. In it contained the Yojimbo 2
imag0322ja.jpg

It was a unique shape, but when I held it, I knew my famous Black M390 Paramilitary 2 would lose some pocket time. So here is a basic review of it.

Basic info (Off spyderco website)
length overall 7.55" (192 mm) blade length 3.11" (79 mm) blade steel CPM S30V
length closed 4.51" (114 mm) cutting edge 2.95" (75 mm) weight 4 oz (113 g)
blade thickness .156" (4 mm) handle material G-10 Made in America

Out of box impression:

It came in a signature red Spyderco box and had a unique look to it as you can tell. Picked it up and flicked it open with no problem, no odd sounds, no rattle, no compression lock problems. It had a nice glow because the Hollow ground blade kept picking up light at every angle (That is probably why it looks white in some pictures.) The blade had no corrosion or pitting which is good of course but also, the blade was a bit sharper then I expected. Out of box sharpness was remarkable! I tapped it on my arm thinking maybe a hair or two but it took off a massive chunk of hair.
imag0323m.jpg

A shaving sharp factory Edge isn't half bad as we all know.

EDCing it for a few days (A rough overview):
I popped this baby into my pocket for a few days (and I plan on doing it for the foreseeable future as well now) and went about my duties as usual. Took it around and cut paper out of notebooks and some ties and some string the first day, nothing too demanding. After that I went to go workout then practice. This is where the knife seemed to Shine (Bet you didn't expect that to come out here,) I forgot to take it out of my pocket and realized it after finished and rode my bike to another location. I stuck my hand in my pocket digging for my phone and found the yojimbo just chilling there like a sloth. Its shape makes it almost unnoticeable in the pocket! I am doing tip up right hand carry and I was amazed that I didn't notice it. My paramilitary 2 would usually remind me that it's in my pocket but wow! Great carriablity.

Now for the next challenge, The security guard I had to walk by was known for hassling people for anything that could be dangerous. Even though the cutting edge and blade were legal length, I didn't feel like being called a bad person so I put my thumb in my pocket and let my fingers hang, It made the knife completely disappear. It was a natural position and I really like that about the knife since I seem to get an earful from local College girls who believe a knife is only for mugging or violence. Great concealibility
(ya I am making up some words here but It is okay)
On the way up stairs I decided to unclip it and let it feel in my pocket as I moved. It isn't to heavy and the shape seems to rest in your pocket without making awkward outlines.
Next went to do some drills, That I didn't bring my trainer karambit, So I tried the Yojimbo since it was designed for self defense and Yojimbo literally translated to Bodyguard and it had a nice grip and feel to it. Hard to explain but I like it.

The next day I decided to take it to the most hardcore and brutal place ever.....Laundromat. I have a coat I picked up when I was in Da lat (Vietnam) that I liked but hated an annoying shiny black emblem on the back. While my clothes spun around I whipped out the Yojimbo 2 and tested the tip control by cutting it off by the threads holding it on
imag0324t.jpg

This required very delicate and precise point control. The Wharncliffe Shaped blade excelled in leaps and bounds without me having to do an awkward hand position like I would have had to do with another knife.
imag0325zu.jpg

The edge is the perfect shape for the control, not to far back and not to far forward culminating in a nice point.
imag0326i.jpg

imag0327l.jpg

A unique little curve near the base of the blade made it so much easier to maneuver.
imag0328q.jpg

That tiny little curve ends up making it a whole lot easier to control the edge and tip without an awkward holding angle. It's the little things that truly make a knife great, and this design piece really makes the knife standout.
imag0330z.jpg

imag0331r.jpg

My only word of advice is try not to choke up to far on the blade. On dull knives, I choke up and wrap my hand around the blade, for some reason I tried doing it and the moment I barely tapped the blade....well
imag0334oe.jpg

I got a nice little spyderbite that ended up later bleeding for a ridiculously long time. At least now I have broken in the blade.
After that hell day at the laundromat it held up well.
imag0335a.jpg

imag0333jo.jpg

It held up well so I took it out and about to a cigar bar. What real men do to their cigar is Vcut it. Invented by the British military I believe, to cut their cigars. I prefer to cut a V into my cigars, not quite a punch, not quite a cut, just the ideal spot in-between with both of the benefits.
imag0339x.jpg
A nice aurora Sapphire was my choice and it cut through the tobacco SMOOTHLY without any dragging or tearing. Just a great smooth cut.

K lets get into the meat of the knife.

Steel:
It is CPMS30V which is a fantastic steel and has a great edge retention. It's corrosion resistance has been marked equal or above 440c which I must admit is nice since I live 3 blocks from ocean in a Port city. The toughness and wear resistance are also pretty high up there. Obviously a plus. It's a good steel and (In my opinion) is one of the top steels out there (excluding super steels because those are just insane)
After use, the edge still retains a shaving edge, no rust despite environment, no scratches on it from carrying it or using it, and I haven't broken the blade, which is always a plus.

Thickness:
imag0365w.jpg

I feel this picture says it all. Look at that spine.

Grind:
Hollow Ground

Blade Shape:
It is a Wharncliffe which has no belly. It is an excellent slicer and cutter and provides a nice use of the tip.
imag0372r.jpg

Handle:
G10 is a great handle, it's lightish but durable. I consider it to be the bulletproof option of handles, it's tough and it will LAST. The grip is nice, it has just enough grip to hold you in, but not enough to think you are holding sandpaper. The ergonomics is amazing, but I will get into that later.

Lock/ Open & Closing:
The compression lock is amazing, it is versatile and strong. Unlike a liner lock, it has 2 points of contact preventing the blade from moving. It is remarkably strong, but I am not going to wack the spin with a hammer like some insane people (I am not insulting anyone, I am just asking why would you need to use the back of your knife like a hammer?) but by pressing on it, I see no lock movement. It's design will allow you to open and close the blade without ever getting in the way. That means less bites which is good.
A theory (I tested it and I got positive results some have tested and got negative results) is that when the Compression lock does manage to fail (which it shouldn't unless you are beating it trying to break it) it develops an unnatural bend that makes it stronger then before. I wouldn't recommend trying it, just a fun fact that I have discovered.
Also, if you forget to remove your hand, spyderco made a little safety feature to prevent closing on the hand.
imag0378x.jpg
(right handed closing attempt on hand, it prevents being touched by edge)
imag0377me.jpg
(left handed with my index finger out of the way, it still stops on my middle finger)
Nice 2 finger little safety feature.

Clip:
It is a 4 directional clip like the PM2's and makes the knife south paw friendly.
imag0369k.jpg

(The right is the Yojimbo 2, the left is the Paramilitary 2)

Smell:
I sniffed it, and It was nothing out of the ordinary about it, then I just realized I smelled a knife for a review...... which seems to be out of the ordinary.

Detent:
After having a knife open on me in my pocket during a 5k.....I find this feature really important, especially with the new habit of local cops trying to shake a knife open so they can call it an auto. I can shake it like a polariod picture and not have the blade drop out, it can only be opened trying to open it which is nice.
A good detent in my books.

Now for the fun part
imag0340f.jpg

A side by side of the Paramilitary 2 (black g10 m390 steel) and the Yojimbo 2 (black g10 CPMS30V steel)
(Basic info on the PM2 can be found here http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=472)

imag0341f.jpg

Closed you can see the Yojimbo 2

imag0342i.jpg

As you can see, the clip angle is a bit off being straighter on the Yojimbo 2. Also the overall shape of the closed knife on the PM2 is like its blade, while the Yojimbo's closed form kind of is recurvish.

imag0343ir.jpg

imag0344lt.jpg

As you can see the blade shape is very different which will provide for different uses. I honestly, never knew I needed a wharncliffe blade til I started using it, don't pass it off just because of the blade shape as I heard some mention before.

imag0346l.jpg

imag0347zg.jpg
(sorry for bad picture)
The spine of the Yojimbo 2 is remarkably thicker than the PM2 giving the Yojimbo 2 more mass on strikes and swings and the like.

Now back to the Yojimbo 2

Blade play:
Absolutely 0. Something I'd expect from a midtech or custom. I am grabbing by the tip and applying force in all directions and its not giving.

Blade Seating:
Dead center and because of the shape of the blade, no chance of touching the back spacers
imag0348g.jpg

imag0349k.jpg

Ergos:
This is an important feature for many, Small and Large handed alike. I am a 5"8 guy so I don't have godzilla hands. I heard this knife worked great for a guy who in his review listed himself as a melon handed man, so that made me feel uneasy because sometimes ergos is either for one or another size hand. But not the Yojimbo 2. (Most of these pictures have me holding it left handed, because I am right handed and had to hold the camera. It fits equally in each hand)
imag0356sh.jpg

Easy and comfortable to choke up on.
imag0357b.jpg

Easy and comfortable to thumb guide as I heard some call it.
imag0358r.jpg

For those who tuck their thumb, it works perfectly.
-now for the reverse
imag0359aa.jpg

(Left handed)
imag0360zi.jpg

imag0361n.jpg

(Right Handed) It feels smooth and comfortable. The little part that sticks up is a fantastic feature, You can put your thumb beside for more force, or thumb on top for a bit more control.
----Unopened defense ergos/Yawara ergos-------
Every now and then you need to bop someone, you don't want to punch them and start a fight, and you probably don't want to stab them. For me, I use it to prevent drunk friends from doing stupid stuff. "Hey man I bet I can flip that pool table" (while it is surrounded by a group of guys twice his size) can easily be responded to with a closed knife strike to his thigh. It seems odd but I always wished people put that in their reviews so it will be in mine.
imag0362d.jpg

A large strike easy to control with the thumb
imag0363i.jpg

A very precise strike that can be used for joint manipulation EASILY. With the thumb rest at the top, you can get plenty of power and control.

So far after reviewing the holding styles, I haven't found anywhere that would create a hotspot,Which means you can cut for a long time without your hands being torn to shreds.

Hole accessibility:
I have started to hear on some knives where the spyderhole isn't accessible from one side or the other or is just difficult to get to. Not the case with the Yojimbo 2
imag0367.jpg

A nice little spot has been hollowed out to make it easier to access the Spyderhole.
imag0371d.jpg

Don't worry though, its comfortable when opened, the spot removed by the G10 actually makes it feel a bit better in hand as opposed to a huge slab in that spot.
imag0368ix.jpg

I can do it from all angles and sides. You can spyderflick it if you want or just do normally. Easy to open in my book

Fit and Finish:
For a guy like me, I noticed a bit too much sometimes and get nit-picky. My minor OCD and inspection of what doesn't even need to be inspected. Overall this knife does fit and finish well
imag0355d.jpg

By feel, everything is lined up and symmetrical. No random bumps or outliers in any ridge, edge or part
imag0354e.jpg

Everything just seems really smooth and sleek (at an angle cause it is resting on a lanyard)
--now this is where my ocd kicks in---
imag0352o.jpg

On some knives that have nonlinerlocks, they have a high deformity or awkwardness around the lock area. It is usually the part that gets me the most.
imag0353mu.jpg

but as you see for the yojimbo, all is in order (couldn't line up the angle right, also that thing near the compression lock is lint, not a deformity)
imag0370oy.jpg

There is no hedgehog parts poking open, when closed and open its nice and smooth, no sharp edges.
Now for the part that probably is only just my knife
imag0350jc.jpg

When you turn the light just right, you can see some psuedo jimping only on the right side?
imag0351z.jpg

It's only the outline so it provides no traction but isn't symmetical with the left side.

But I will be honest, if that is the only faults I have when I AM TRYING!!! to look for faults then it's not half bad.

Possible mods you can do:
I wouldn't recommend a ziptie mod here because of location of the hole, but if you want to wave it, Charlie Mike can do a remarkable job waving it [http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/931165-different-wave-mods].
The clip can be stonewashed which I may do to help conceal it in public.
Scales can be changed but the Black G10 with glowing white blade look too nice to swap.

OVER ALL RATING: 9.7/10

I would Highly recommend buying this knife, or at least holding it if you are on the edge. It's style and shape seems off, but people say the same thing about the compression lock and look how that turned out. I HIGHLY recommend looking into getting it. IMHO it rivals the Paramilitary 2 with the Yojimbo 2 having the edge because it helped me realized how useful the point is in my daily life. So it is now my EDC.

I recommend it.
imag0375i.jpg
if there is anything you would like me to add to this review, feel free to let me know.

I really like the yojimbo 2 but have yet to pull the trigger, very comprehensive review

hopefully itll help with your decision. my m390 pm2 is back at my apartment because this bumped it out, seems to give more efficient cuts also

Excellent review! I I love the utilitarian design of the Yojimbo but I'm going to hold out for the S90V version ;)

Mine came - I opened box - I carefully opened knife - a quick Spyder bite (no blood but almost) - put back in box. They are one darn sharp knife from the factory. Small and easy to carry when I get courage up.

Great review and couldn't agree more. I bought 3, one for me and each one of my sons. Buy one, you won't regret it. :)

I agree with this review. One of the best Spyderco's you can buy. Alot easier to find that the Para 2 and IMO is just as good.

Nice review. Thanks for doing it. You made mention of security you walk by giving you a hard time about knives and police shaking them to see if they can be considered autos. I see you list SC as where you are from. Is this SC as in South Carolina? If so, whereabouts are you? I live in Lexington and work in Columbia and can't imagine either of those things happening around here.

Great review. Thanks for the shout out!

Very nice review! You should consider doing it for $$. Won't make you rich, but it's how I bought my motorcycle. :)

Back to the topic. I hated the Yo2 when I first saw it. I'm ashamed to admit that I may have even said so once or twice, but I just got my first wharncliffe (totally different knife), and now I get it. The shape is utterly useful! I think every knife nut should try one, and the Yo2 looks like an excellent example of the design. :thumbup:

Thanks people, great knife all around

Nice review. Thanks for doing it. You made mention of security you walk by giving you a hard time about knives and police shaking them to see if they can be considered autos. I see you list SC as where you are from. Is this SC as in South Carolina? If so, whereabouts are you? I live in Lexington and work in Columbia and can't imagine either of those things happening around here.

Normally up near greenville and Charleston, but currently I am in japan, just havent changed it. The area in Charleston I am in is the split between the millionaires and government housing so police here kind of are strict in certain areas

Old thread, but just bought my first Yo2. It's currently in the mail. Your review has got me all tingly inside. Can't wait.

I had the Yo 2 and sold it for a cpl reasons that seemed to bug me at the time. Then I caught a cpl videos again and started looking at pics again and came across your review and then I saw some going for $108 . And something was calling me back to this knife again. so I bought it again. Its now my EDC. I love this knife. Its not perfect and a cpl things do bug me about it as I see them as unnecessary compromises in the design but I still love it. It is the most visually stimulating knife I have ever owned. I love that wide flat hollow ground blade!!! and it is a cutter!!

I would get a s90 in a second do you all think they will do it ?

Just got myself one, based on this review. Loving it so far. My only complaint is that it's a little "grindy" as it's opened. I'm going to lube the pivot and see if that helps. The YOjimbo was shaving sharp out of the box and that tip is just like a needle: perfect as an improvised seam ripper!

Thos thread makes me want a Yojimbo 2 really badly.

Thanks a lot, OP.

:D

I am about to order one also. I've been mulling it over ever since my first post in this review, just re-read the review and am ordering now! Thanks for the review, easily the best I've ever seen on a knife.

Back