SpyOpera!

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by GeofS, Aug 10, 2020.

1. maugust09

maugust09

Mar 14, 2018
    Ball bearings seem odd on a lockback to me. But maybe its just me

loon#r likes this.
  2. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    The whole construction of the knife seems odd to me. I'm still interested in this one but the pinned construction and bearings in a lockback are kind of weird.

loon#r and Officer's Match like this.
  3. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    I like it. PB washers are good too. I like bearings for gentlemen knives that are carried with khakis or slacks that stay relatively clean. PB is good for knives that get exposed to mud, dirt and grime.

loon#r likes this.
  4. Ippon98

Ippon98

Feb 15, 2017
    I have got one on the way; the bearings are just fine in my book, harder to clean out but not too big of an issue for a knife like this that ai don't expect to really get that dirty. As aea plus, they seem to make the action great on this knife.

The pinned construction is a bummer, but not in itself a deal breaker, since it looks like the pivot bearings can still be accessed for cleaning with some effort. I obviously would have preferred no pins, just because I like to tinker.

5. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Anyone recieve theirs from BHQ yet?

6. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    That looks like a total bitch to take apart and reassemble.

BD_01 likes this.
  7. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Just got the shipping email for my pre-order. Granted I've had one from GP for the past month or so. Can't hurt to have a back-up haha.

8. Snacktime

Snacktime

Aug 18, 2019
    Here is some low grade photos... PM2, PM3, SpyOpera, SR2, SR1 First Batch and Stretch Straight Spline, Stretch 2, SpyOpera, Delica 2nd Batch

Definitely a gentleman's carry for me, absolutely love the smoothness and the back lock. Blade shape is about perfect, like a blend of the straight spline stretch and regular stretch. Only draw back is the lack of jimping on the back side of the spyder hole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roundg likes this.
  9. Roundg

Roundg

Apr 20, 2020
    The pinned construction is a deal break for me.

BD_01 and Officer's Match like this.
  10. Buellrider

Buellrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    I am not a fan of the pinned construction or the gap behind the back of the blade when closed. But I ordered one anyway. :)

Roundg likes this.
  11. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I am really enjoying this one. Very comfortable to use.

[​IMG]

loon#r, Chowser, Brett Sisco and 2 others like this.
  12. Brett Sisco

Brett Sisco

May 8, 2020
    Nice to see some are recieving their orders. Gives me hope that soon mine will ship as well. Still waiting for shipping info. Pre ordered it on may 6th from BHQ. Asked for an update and they have yet to respond.

13. Buellrider

Jan 17, 2016
    Ordered mine directly from Spyderco on Thursday and it shipped on Friday.

14. tew3006

tew3006 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I was really interested in this knife. Then I saw it was right hand only carry. :(

15. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Liners, nice!!

16. Ippon98

Ippon98

Feb 15, 2017
    I'll throw in my 2 cents.

This knife is a winner, here are some observations on the quality, good and bad:

Good:
    Outstanding blade, nice and thin (to me) without seeming fragile. Solid lockup.

Really nice ergos, my pinky falls off a little bit when I lay back on the knife, but it's great with a lanyard. (I wear a medium men's glove) the neutral grip area means that as long as you are OK with the small size, the ergonomics will fit a lot of people.

This has already been said, but it has really great action, and fit and finish. The titanium parts give it a really nice appeal.

Bad:
    Mine has got a noticable "lock stick" interaction going on. Not even close to a deal breaker, but significant enough to note. It is worse when the knife is flicked rather than opened slowly.

Wish I would have gotten a picture; the factory edge was acceptable, but not nearly as good as what I have received from Golden, Seki, or Taichung. The bevel was quite a bit different of an angle on each side, and fairly obtuse. A session on the KME sharpener resolved this for me.

Overall I can recommend this knife as an EDC, and I feel like this knife is a good value as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    loon#r and BMCGear like this.
  17. Ippon98

Ippon98

Feb 15, 2017
    Also for anyone wondering, I was able to disassemble and access the pivot bearings without too much trouble. If the pins are your only reservation about the knife, I would go ahead and get it.

18. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yeah, I need to grab one of these.

19. Buellrider

Jan 17, 2016
    I’m diggin it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    loon#r likes this.
  20. LSUisSEC