• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Square - Payment platform

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What are your experiences with this one? Thanks!

I studied this and actually signed up for a few days. With more thought and discussion with another user I realized there was nothing to gain for my "non-business" - strictly exchange type use- selling from my laptop. It is just another e bank - and nothing to gain over PayPal which I have been using for nearly 15 years. SQUARE is just as boggled up with rules and caveats and fees, as PP and every other bank system. Could be different for a more structured business but I don't pay attention to that aspect - for PP or SQ. If you are looking to an alternative to PP like so many others seems to be these days - you are kidding yourself - that any of these will be better. They all need to comply with federal regulations and internal legal policies. That is the nature of banking/payment platforms.

Last edited:
We use them at my business. Not sure there's much advantage to them for primarily online businesses, our primary use is as a credit card processor. Their fees are slightly higher than competing card processors, but they're much easier to deal with and their hardware is MUCH easier to plug and play than competitors. My main complaint is that they spam our email a bit trying to get us to take out a loan.

I just read their terms again and found that "weapons" transactions are not permitted. It's even easier to use Square's agreement language against knife makers than Paypal's. Sigh

It is just another e bank - and nothing to gain over PayPal which I have been using for nearly 15 years. SQUARE is just as boggled up with rules and caveats and fees, as PP and every other bank system. Could be different for a more structured business but I don't pay attention to that aspect - for PP or SQ. If you are looking to an alternative to PP like so many others seems to be these days - you are kidding yourself - that any of these will be better. They all need to comply with federal regulations and internal legal policies. That is the nature of banking/payment platforms.

It's starting to look that way.

Back