SR101 Strippers?

I don't think "when" it happens, but "why" and "how" it happens is the question. Either way, I had a three blade string of bad luck with them but I'm happy as a clam with look of utter badassery that my Ratweiler now sports, and I'll definitely drink to that. Cheers!

So, to get this thread back on track, I could use some opinions on blackwashing. I really like it's current look but the general consensus is that decarb is a rust magnet, so I'm thinking I could bead blast all of the decarb away, blackwash it and then sand it a little to get a look similar to what it has right now. Thoughts?

@Clamp

I'm considering this on an BG Grudge that's on deck for stripping.

I'm not familiar w/ the product..but I like the results..and could probably be tumbled/sanded for different looks.

You could also use PCB etchant as previously stated...but SR101 reacts so easily to being patina'ed..you could get away w/ much safer/mild acidic's..

Has anyone else stripped a newer SR101 blade?

I stripped my BG EPD and literally applied the final Oxpho-Blue finish within 30 minutes of pulling it from the stripper. All it needed was a couple of once-over's with scotch-brite pads and it was done. Very little decarb, no gremlins or even milling marks to speak of.

I'd like to see more newer ones stripped to see if this is the new normal or if I have an anomaly. I'm planning to strip another one when I have time.

View attachment 770029

View attachment 770030

@Clamp

I'm considering this on an BG Grudge that's on deck for stripping.

I'm not familiar w/ the product..but I like the results..and could probably be tumbled/sanded for different looks.

You could also use PCB etchant as previously stated...but SR101 reacts so easily to being patina'ed..you could get away w/ much safer/mild acidic's..
Yeah. I thought about doing a vinegar patina on it but when I did it to my DTBM it took quite a while to get even a light gray color, BUT I did it with cold vinegar and the fact that I had sanded it to a very smooth finish may have had something to do with that too. Maybe it will darken quicker with a bead blasted finish.

Looking into a sharpening setup, and I found this video. The technique may have some potential in speeding up a stripper's polishing time. Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about....

Stripped the blade of my Baby Boom and started on a nice patina. I love the way carbon steel wears. This is after a vinegar bath and a couple lemons and strawberries.

Attachments

• 20170927_025652-1328x747.jpg
    20170927_025652-1328x747.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 31
empty.png

Njc23x.jpg

empty.png

20170927_075302.jpg
Snakebreaker
LINK
DIRECT
FORUM
ALT
HTML

Love the look of a differential HT. Great looking knife Snakebreaker Snakebreaker .

Grammatical fix

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to get a battle grade flak jack to strip, blue and smooth and polish the green canvas micarta handles!

Squiggles happen.... on INFI too!

k3WhWnb.jpg
EQqCdnK.jpg

This is my most cherished fixed blade knife, mostly because of those awesome worm trails. As suggested when I posted the pics a few years back, it almost looks like someone tried to write "anniversary" with a die grinder after some whisky lubrication...

I say keep it up, and hereby commit to stripping some SR101 to see what I might find!

Squiggles happen.... on INFI too!

k3WhWnb.jpg
EQqCdnK.jpg

This is my most cherished fixed blade knife, mostly because of those awesome worm trails. As suggested when I posted the pics a few years back, it almost looks like someone tried to write "anniversary" with a die grinder after some whisky lubrication...

I say keep it up, and hereby commit to stripping some SR101 to see what I might find!

That is rediculous.

That's why I'm hesitant to strip them - I'd get all pissed if I stripped a knife of Busse(kin) price range & found that.

I've got a RMD with some obvious gouges under the coating; so it will stay tanker grey.

Funny how polarizing the gremlins/squiggles/birth marks are.... I absolutely adore them! But I'm the kind of guy that tries to embrace what Life brings.... (especially strippers and mistresses).
My next stripper encounter after the mistress's apparel dropped was totally boring in comparison, denying me all the fun of posting a thread like this: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/you-never-know-whats-underneath.1269070/
To me, they are akin to drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. Lol!

Couple old ones of mine, since it appears my PhotoBucket account has come back from the dead! :eek: o_O

RMD Bowie
Bowie_RMD_Sheath_1.jpg

Howling Rat
Howling_Rat_3.jpg

Howling_Rat_2.jpg

Swamp Warden
Stripped_Warden.jpg

Last edited:
Back