SR101 vs. INFI

Not trying to start a Busse vs SRKW debate, I'm just wondering if somebody could explain to me (in layman's terms) the differences, pros, cons, etc., of these two steels, and maybe even how they compare to other more popular high grade knife steels. Thanks in advance.

Figured this would be a good place to make the first post. Only have one SRKW knife and it's fantastic -- got the battle rat about 2 months ago.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether I should save up for an FSH or save a little money and get a Ratweiler. Any advice would be great from all you experts.

Remembering the old saying "buy the best you can afford and dont look back, you wont be sorry" It really rings true between the Swamp and Busse. The Ratwieler or the upcoming Rat Mastiff are fantastic knives for the price, and its hard to beat SR101 and the heat treat it gets. Busse and INFI is in another realm altogether, the sheer strength of INFI and the long time name of Busse carry a lot with them.

If the Swamp Rat is what you can comfortably afford then you cant go wrong in any way, its not second class by any means. Few would be able to take either knife to its performance limit.

Plusses and minuses:
SR101 isnt stain resistant, INFI shows an amazing amount of resistance.
Bang for your buck is way higher with the Rats.
The guarantee is unmatched for either.
INFI performs a bit higher than SR101
A Ratwieler costs around 200
A Fusion Steel Heart 350 - 500 depending on the options
150.00 difference to me is not all that much, but, I have both a Ratwieler and a Fusion Steel Heart, well, three actually :confused: And yes I use the Steel Heart(s) only one of the seven :)foot: ) doesnt see use.

leatherman said:
Remembering the old saying "buy the best you can afford and dont look back, you wont be sorry" It really rings true between the Swamp and Busse. The Ratwieler or the upcoming Rat Mastiff are fantastic knives for the price, and its hard to beat SR101 and the heat treat it gets. Busse and INFI is in another realm altogether, the sheer strength of INFI and the long time name of Busse carry a lot with them.

If the Swamp Rat is what you can comfortably afford then you cant go wrong in any way, its not second class by any means. Few would be able to take either knife to its performance limit.

Plusses and minuses:
SR101 isnt stain resistant, INFI shows an amazing amount of resistance.
Bang for your buck is way higher with the Rats.
The guarantee is unmatched for either.
INFI performs a bit higher than SR101A Ratwieler costs around 200

A Fusion Steel Heart 350 - 500 depending on the options
150.00 difference to me is not all that much, but, I have both a Ratwieler and a Fusion Steel Heart, well, three actually :confused: And yes I use the Steel Heart(s) only one of the seven :)foot: ) doesnt see use.

I agreed with Leatherman and I ahve further comments ;

1. For the blade Under the coating, Busse has better finishing.
2. INFI is more easy to sharpen.
3. SR101 do not have stain resistance but it it is not problem to me.

Howeve I do not care for the 2 sentences up here . As I remove the paint and I make proper polishing on blades and I see the tempered line then I prefer the look of SR 101. It is really unique.

Sometimes ago Leatherman used to say that " You get what you pay.....".
I really agree.

ir0qe0.jpg

ir0rx1.jpg

ir0s9l.jpg

there's lots of info on SR101 vs INFI which has been discussed. Just hit the search button and you'll be amazed at what you find.

Keep watching the Exchange and the auction sites, one's bound to pop up sooner or later. :thumbup:

Dick said:
I agreed with Leatherman and I ahve further comments ;

1. For the blade Under the coating, Busse has better finishing.
2. INFI is more easy to sharpen.
3. SR101 do not have stain resistance but it it is not problem to me.

Howeve I do not care for the 2 sentences up here . As I remove the paint and I make proper polishing on blades and I see the tempered line then I prefer the look of SR 101. It is really unique.

Sometimes ago Leatherman used to say that " You get what you pay.....".
I really agree.
Hey Dick, great pics! I like to see those who have the guts to strip their SR101! I've done so many so far and I like to see whats under that coating. Some are adverse to uncovering the steel but if you take care of it theres no problem at all. I have several pieces of nekkid SR101 and yet to have a rust problem, even sitting in their leather sheaths. :D My Satin Battle Rat still has no staining, and the Rat Hunter is still pristine, now I have to correct those problems asap!:confused:

CT's are the hardest to find of them all huh. I see one come up every now and then. Sharp eyes and fast reflexes will get one eventually, you just have to be patient and sit near the mouse. ;) I am curious about the .1% thing?:confused:

And yep Dick, that quote says it all about the Swamp! You get more than what you pay for with any Rat, and now that they offer micarta handles, it makes them all that more attractive to me at least. :)

Ok, here is my take on it. Before INFI, the toughest steels available where 52100, A-2 and 5160. Most custom makers used these steels when making tough user blades. The debate was always over which of these three steels would you pick. Some makers prefered A-2, some prefered 5160 and from what I can remember the overwhelming majority prefered 52100 for their custom bowies.

The old Marbles bowies where made of this stuff and they built up a good reputation. Well at some point someone decided to add a little more of one ingredient to 52100 and out came SR101, which from what an independent person told me is even better than 52100.

Now you have CPM3V which may even edge out 52100 by a slight margin although that is debatable. SR101 is in a class all it's own probably better than most other carbon steels. Although I have not compared it to INFI I would say they are very close. I am sure INFI edges SR101 out but is the improved performance worth 3 times the cost?

I buy both because I can, but if I couldn't own INFI, I would be more than happy with SR101 as I know it is made to the same scrutinizing standards as INFI.

What you have to take into account is the heat treat and this is where Busse and Swamp Rat excel. They have it down right and it makes their steels better than most anyone out there. Think about when Busse was using ATS34, it was impressive in the original Steel Hearts. When Busse was using A-2 it was impressive in the steel hearts. Heat treat, heat treat, heat treat is everything.

Welcome to the forums, Lancelot! :D

If you want my opinion, I would say try for the Ratmastiff from the Company Store (if you want another big chopper, and who doesn't? ;) ). It's gonna be one heck of a knife. If you don't get one, then you can get a RW or a FSH.

Walking Man said:
HIT AND RUN!!!
PORK, IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER. :p
LMAO!! "pigs in a blanket" Now that was just cheesy! :D

mmmmmmmmmm A2:cool:

My Howler still sees more use than anything else, it pulled old boards off the soffit on my new house, stripping sealant and bending the occasional nail into place and not a chip in that edge. Wish I'da gotten in on the Howling Fat's. My bro in law tells me "How can you abuse an 80 dollar knife like that!" He hasnt seen what I've done to my Ratwieler, heh heh heh :p

Walking Man said:
HIT AND RUN!!!
PORK, IT'S WHAT'S FOR DINNER. :p

Nothing is more painful to watch than the death throws of a Hog as he is transformed into a Rat. :(

Watch him fellow Rats. He will go through several stages...

But then he will be ONE OF US!!! :D

:p

leatherman said:
My Howler still sees more use than anything else, it pulled old boards off the soffit on my new house, stripping sealant and bending the occasional nail into place and not a chip in that edge. Wish I'da gotten in on the Howling Fat's. My bro in law tells me "How can you abuse an 80 dollar knife like that!" He hasnt seen what I've done to my Ratwieler, heh heh heh :p

Makes a Rat proud! ;)

...and I wish I'da gotten in on the Tan Howlers. :grumpy:

360joules said:
Nothing is more painful to watch than the death throws of a Hog as he is transformed into a Rat. :(
That's it for you, ratbrain! I'm breaking out the VOODOO DOLLS!
MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
tredblkvoodoopin.jpg

Cobalt said:
Ok, here is my take on it. Before INFI, the toughest steels available where 52100, A-2 and 5160. Most custom makers used these steels when making tough user blades. The debate was always over which of these three steels would you pick. Some makers prefered A-2, some prefered 5160 and from what I can remember the overwhelming majority prefered 52100 for their custom bowies.

The old Marbles bowies where made of this stuff and they built up a good reputation. Well at some point someone decided to add a little more of one ingredient to 52100 and out came SR101, which from what an independent person told me is even better than 52100.

Now you have CPM3V which may even edge out 52100 by a slight margin although that is debatable. SR101 is in a class all it's own probably better than most other carbon steels. Although I have not compared it to INFI I would say they are very close. I am sure INFI edges SR101 out but is the improved performance worth 3 times the cost?

I buy both because I can, but if I couldn't own INFI, I would be more than happy with SR101 as I know it is made to the same scrutinizing standards as INFI.

What you have to take into account is the heat treat and this is where Busse and Swamp Rat excel. They have it down right and it makes their steels better than most anyone out there. Think about when Busse was using ATS34, it was impressive in the original Steel Hearts. When Busse was using A-2 it was impressive in the steel hearts. Heat treat, heat treat, heat treat is everything.

Thanks for the info.:thumbup:

360joules said:

Watch him fellow Rats. He will go through several stages...

But then he will be ONE OF US!!! :D

:p
rat-pig.jpg

YAAARRR! time to recycle my pic

Walking Man said:
That's it for you, ratbrain! I'm breaking out the VOODOO DOLLS!
MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
tredblkvoodoopin.jpg

I see that you labeled that one "v" for voodoo. It's good to keep that one seperate from your regular dollies. :D :D

hahahahahaOUCH!!! Stop that! I was kidding! :grumpy:

Back