Stainless don't mind the rain

I like Carbon better!

Never had any rust problem in 40+ years. I just wipe em off when they get wet.

One T.Bose is the only stainless I carry. :cool:

I like Carbon better!

Never had any rust problem in 40+ years. I just wipe em off when they get wet.

One T.Bose is the only stainless I carry. :cool:

Don,

While you are here, I have read that the higher the rockwell hardness the more resistant to corrosion the steel will be.

How much truth is there to this and is there any general number that corrosion resistance drastically raises?

Thanks for any info,

Kevin

VG-10 is a very nice stainless, IMO. And so is BG-42, but both are seldom used in traditionals.

Don,

While you are here, I have read that the higher the rockwell hardness the more resistant to corrosion the steel will be.

How much truth is there to this and is there any general number that corrosion resistance drastically raises?

Thanks for any info,

Kevin
Kevin, the actual Rc number means little for corrosion resistance, but heat treated steel has a much higher resistance than annealed, or non-heat-treated steel. This is true for stainless blade steels also.

Very interesting thread. I just learned a ton of info about various stainless steels thanks to this. My thanks to everyone who contributed the data.
-Paul

Here is was at the beach getting constant salt spray for a few days

SU1HXzEyNTAuanBn.jpg

Love the Red Stripes, but how are you opening it like that without cutting yourself?

Oh, it cut me. I had my gf shoot that photo, it actually cut me just touching the skin before I even tried to open it with any force. I ended up slipping my knuckle under the edge. You just pry up. But it was stupid to do, I haven't done it since. The blade isn't wide enough like the other knives I used to do it with. Not to do it moderately safely at least. Actually, I think that was the most unintelligent use of a knife I have ever come up with :eek:

Just thought I'd throw in another rainy day shot for fun.

canoe001.jpg

...and for the record I have found 440A and 440C to be excellent steels for traditional EDCs and though I still prefer carbon steels, it is due more to my sharpening abilities (or lack thereof) than anything else.

Last edited:
Oh, it cut me. I had my gf shoot that photo, it actually cut me just touching the skin before I even tried to open it with any force. I ended up slipping my knuckle under the edge. You just pry up. But it was stupid to do, I haven't done it since. The blade isn't wide enough like the other knives I used to do it with. Not to do it moderately safely at least. Actually, I think that was the most unintelligent use of a knife I have ever come up with :eek:

Well, I wondered when I saw that. But then I thought, when a man needs a beer, a man needs a beer. :D:D

Robert

I have carried a Buck 309 "Companion" EVERYDAY, since 1977. It has been exposed to everything that a knife should not be exposed to. I have swam in muddy, clear, and/or chlorinated water, with it in my pocket. I have never swam without it. I was concerned with damage, the first few times i swam with it (jumped in water without fore though). Since then, i NEVER check it or even dry it. No rust, no muss, no damage. regards Henry

I like carbon steel, mostly because of the patina, but i do carry stainless knives too, mostly a buck cadet. Truth be told ..I like them all.

I used to like carbon better, but know i like stainless better. I never know what i will be using my knife for when i am at work until it is time to pull it out and stainless is much easier to take care of just wipe it off on my pants and put back in my pocket.

Carbon steel

Originally "carbon steel" was used by the cutlers.
The high carbon content improves the cutting performance and makes the blade easier to sharpen.
However over time the blade can change color and go black. This is quite natural and in no way harmful.
Carbon steel knives also rust very easily.
Consequently these knives need careful and thorough upkeep.

Stainless steel

Nowadays the cutlers use for preference 12C27 stainless steel.
This type of steel provides a good compromise between the knife's cutting performance and corrosion resistance.
Whether stainless steel or carbon steel, a knife is above all a fragile utensil that needs regular care.

Jean from Laguiole Actiforge

Merci, Jean. Bienvenue a BladeForums!.

I fear that about exhausts my high school French.
High school was a number of decades ago.

Stainless steel

Nowadays the cutlers use for preference 12C27 stainless steel.
This type of steel provides a good compromise between the knife's cutting performance and corrosion resistance.
Whether stainless steel or carbon steel, a knife is above all a fragile utensil that needs regular care.

Jean from Laguiole Actiforge

And another voice is heard here! Thanks for posting, Jean.

I must agree with the comment on the 12C27. I have to Dan Burke knives from Queen (the medium stockman and the half whittler) in that steel and it takes a very keen edge. And as always I like the low maintenance aspect of it. I was concerned that the steel might be a bit fragile for a working knife, though.

Dismissed my concerns completely when I received the AGR curved regular jack with a wharncliffe blade. I was downright surprised at how sharp it will get and how well it will hold an edge. And the edge isn't fragile at all. Liked it well enough to get the zulu spear pattern in this series as well. Good stuff.

Robert

Back