Standoffs....Yuck

The standoffs are a functional improvement, period. Tapping steel into steel is just flat out stronger than tapping steel into titanium. It's not a downgrade from the back spacer. Liking the LOOK of the spacer is a valid complaint against the standoffs, but accusing EKI of cheapening the product quality is just plain ridiculous.

I actually used to like standoffs, but these days I'm liking backspacers more. The more coverage the better.

I'd argue that a good backspacer is a functional improvement in that part of the function of a folder handle is to protect the blade when closed. The backspacer keeps crap from hitting and damaging the edge.

Just looking at my 7... One of the screws must have stripped out because its missing. I actually had the knife back to EKI a few years ago for the same problem with the same screw... Anyone know if they still fix stripped out screws with the existing backspacers or can they/do they convert knives to standoffs?

This might actually be the route I'd want to go if it'll keep this from happening again...

Wonder if all new Emerson's will have the back spacers, or it is a model specific thing?

You mean standoffs right ? I could be wrong but I believe Emerson is converting all there models to standoffs as they go along in production.

I'll admit when the standoffs first appeared I hated the way they looked, didn't seem like it had that Emerson " look ", felt the same way about the pivot when they changed that as well. The more I got to looking at them though they have grown on me, I think that the new pivot and standoffs look very good together.

I also think with the standoffs you have a much more solid construction when it comes to the handle, I see it as a major improvement, using the Commander as an example, you now have 8 screws holding the handle / frame together as opposed to 4 screws with the backspacer, not to mention much more thread contact with the screws and standoffs as opposed to the screws and backspacer.

For the members who are worried about the standoffs not protecting the blade when it is closed and feel that the backspacer does a better job at that, would you care to explain that to me ? Personally I carry my Commander clipped in my right hand pocket up against the back seam of my jeans, that way the wave will work like it's supposed to if I choose to wave it open. Anything else I carry, SAK Farmer, change etc. all goes in the left front hand pocket, imaginary problem solved.

Yes standoffs appear to be standardized across all production model lines.

Personally, I prefer the standoffs based on a function over form view of the knives. More rigid, easier maintenance, less stripping issues, easier parts replacement, there's nothing not to like sans the looks. I don't see Ernie turning down something that makes so much sense in fear that, "collectors and casual users" as he put it, will be turned off by the looks. I would think those that appreciate Emerson knives for what they are would be the first people to understand and embrace this.

Seems like a structural, functional, common sense manufacturing improvement to me. Good on him for continuing to improve the product, something he's constantly criticized for.

I've been carrying folders of one kind or another for 25 years, I've never had an issue with an edge being damaged in my pocket. Not saying it can't happen, crazy things happen everyday, but since it was mentioned I figured I'd share my experience regarding the same.

I can go either way, and I have standoffs in my customized Emersons. Some people are concerned that coins, or keys will get in the gap and damage the edge where a backspacer will keep something like that from happening. I carry my knives in a pocket by themselves though, or small knives in a clipped sheath, so that eliminates the situation completely.

For the members who are worried about the standoffs not protecting the blade when it is closed and feel that the backspacer does a better job at that, would you care to explain that to me ? Personally I carry my Commander clipped in my right hand pocket up against the back seam of my jeans, that way the wave will work like it's supposed to if I choose to wave it open. Anything else I carry, SAK Farmer, change etc. all goes in the left front hand pocket, imaginary problem solved.

Hardly an imaginary problem if you don't baby your knife. I personally do the same as you (dedicated knife pocket) most of the time for some knives. But I have other knives which are used hard, and those are tossed in the bag or pocket without a thought as to what else is in there. Without a backspacer, crap can and will get in there and damage the edge.

Hardly an imaginary problem if you don't baby your knife. I personally do the same as you (dedicated knife pocket) most of the time for some knives. But I have other knives which are used hard, and those are tossed in the bag or pocket without a thought as to what else is in there. Without a backspacer, crap can and will get in there and damage the edge.

I hardly baby my knives :rolleyes:

Since you said you have a dedicated knife pocket... I stand by my imaginary problem statement.

As far as the ones you just toss in a bag or whatever... you act like the backspacer covers the entire edge, which it doesn't, so stuff can still get in there and damage the edge with your coveted backspacer.

Maybe you should take better care of your tools instead of being a design critic :eek:

I hardly baby my knives :rolleyes:

Since you said you have a dedicated knife pocket... I stand by my imaginary problem statement.

As far as the ones you just toss in a bag or whatever... you act like the backspacer covers the entire edge, which it doesn't, so stuff can still get in there and damage the edge with your coveted backspacer.

Maybe you should take better care of your tools instead of being a design critic :eek:

Maybe you should try being more logical about your statements. :eek: If placing a knife all on its own in a special pocket solves a problem, that problem is hardly imaginary, now is it?

As far as taking better care of my tools vs babying knives, what I'm trying to say is that as far as "hard use tools" go, you shouldn't have to stick them in a special knife pocket.

Yes, the Emerson backspacer doesn't cover the whole edge. I would personally prefer that it did cover more. I do feel that in general, knives that do in fact cover more of the edge with the backspacer provide better protection for the edge in the closed position, and I find that to generally be a better choice for me than open construction.

Maybe you should try being more logical about your statements. :eek: If placing a knife all on its own in a special pocket solves a problem, that problem is hardly imaginary, now is it?

As far as taking better care of my tools vs babying knives, what I'm trying to say is that as far as "hard use tools" go, you shouldn't have to stick them in a special knife pocket.

Yes, the Emerson backspacer doesn't cover the whole edge. I would personally prefer that it did cover more. I do feel that in general, knives that do in fact cover more of the edge with the backspacer provide better protection for the edge in the closed position, and I find that to generally be a better choice for me than open construction.

Logical ? Go back and read your posts.

We could go back and forth on this all day but your actually boring me so I won't bother replying to you anymore but I would suggest that since your so concerned about protecting the entire edge maybe you should start carrying slip joints, that seems to be more your speed.

Glad I could help you :D and no thanks are necessary :D :D :D

Logical ? Go back and read your posts.

We could go back and forth on this all day but you're actually boring me so I won't bother replying to you anymore but I would suggest that since you're so concerned about protecting the entire edge maybe you should start carrying slip
joints, since that seems to be more your speed and that should take care of your imaginary problems.

Glad I could help you :D

Just. Wow. :D You seem to take the whole standoff thing very personally. Enjoy them. Live and let live. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll pick up a traditional or two, there are a couple on my list.

I used to love standoffs as well until I found an imaginary coin I had accidentally left in a bag pocket wedged next to the edge of an umnumzaan I had recently taken to a polished mirror edge. I still like standoffs. I just understand the reasoning for a backspacer a bit more now. I don't think either one is worth a crusade.

fwiw- I had STR make me a rear spacer for my 7 that went all the way up and covered the blade tip. I wear baggy pants and at times holes were poked in my knife pocket by the exposed point.

Either way, learn how to sharpen your knives guys. Problem solved. Everyone should know anyway. If you already do, awesome! Stand-offs on knives aren't exactly a "new" concept. If you don't like them and are somewhat mechanically inclined you can make your own backspacer or have someone who is make one for you.

fwiw- I had STR make me a rear spacer for my 7 that went all the way up and covered the blade tip. I wear baggy pants and at times holes were poked in my knife pocket by the exposed point.

:D

Either way, learn how to sharpen your knives guys. Problem solved. Everyone should know anyway. If you already do, awesome! Stand-offs on knives aren't exactly a "new" concept. If you don't like them and are somewhat mechanically inclined you can make your own backspacer or have someone who is make one for you.

This--^
I cannot stress it enough that Backspacer or not the little contact your edge may endure in your pocket isn't going to compromise your blade. I for one love my 2013 Commander which has standoffs. I toss it into my pocket with confidence that when I pull it out it is going to cut what I need to. If your worried that keys might damage the finish or dull the edge then the answer is simple switch your keys/change/ paranoid delusions to another pocket :p . Also if my previous statement applies to you then your failing to maintain the general ethos that comes with using and emerson knife...it is a functional tool that is meant to be used, dulled, sharpened and used again.

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_91_243&products_id=4676

Standoffs don't bother me, I think the customized ones are awesome and if I can ever find some I'm going for it. But that's just my opinion.

At the link above are standoffs that I found. They're pretty cool looking and not too expensive. In the description for them it says they can be heat colored. I wouldn't try it but someone may know how.

I couldn't get this tablet to paste that link anywhere else.

Yes my question was about if "standoffs" are standard.

No, they are not. I asked when I called EKI to find out if I had bought a knockoff when I opened my standoff equipped CQC-7.

Certain models will still use a backspacer, others will use standoffs.

The A-100 still uses a backspacer, which is why I will be getting one, or two, this year...

Back