1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Steingass/Long Round Knives

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by TK Steingass, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    Gentlemen:

For your consideration are these round knives, designed by Paul Long and handcrafted by me. All four are .040" AEB-L stock, 120 grit surfaced to .035" after heat treat, flat ground about 1/4" from the edge until almost sharp, convex edged to zero, buffed with green chrome and stropped at the edge. All four are full tang, have stabilized wood, and stainless furniture. I couldn't taper the tangs on these - at .040" there just isn't much to taper! I did not solder the bolsters - since the solder melts at 450 degrees, it would mess up the 200 degree temper of the AEB-L to Rc 62-63. A - spalted maple, B - Koa, C - spalted maple, D - spalted hackberry. C and D follow the pattern the closest to the pattern that Paul designed.

One of the advantages of using the round knife over an exacto knife is that while pushing the round knife, your cut line is always visible.....on the pull stroke it is hidden. Load up a chunk of leather with rouge anD you can keep this knife deadly sharp with an occasional strop.

I hope you like them - the first "I'll take it," PM, or email gets it. $265 delivered CONUS. PayPal preferred to [email protected] Thanks for viewing and all comments welcome.

ROUND-KNIVES.jpg

Odog27, WILLIAM.M, rrbruzek and 2 others like this.
  2. TK Steingass

Oct 16, 2010
    Round knife B is SOLD

Dawkind likes this.
  3. Warbow150

Warbow150 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi, Tim
    Do you make wood bowls that fit these? They look like a great little ulu variation that would work really well for chopping in a wood bowl or dish.

4. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Those turned out really nice in fact I’m going to make myself one or two now.

5. Carl Colson

Carl Colson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 4, 2016
    I’ll take c

6. TK Steingass

Oct 16, 2010
    Sorry no - besides, these are much too thin for that application. :)

7. TK Steingass

Oct 16, 2010
    Carl: Excellent - C is yours! :)

8. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    If I didn’t make my own, I’d be snapping one of these up. The price is a bargain for the quality of tool here. Well done!

9. heo

heo

Apr 10, 2005
    Neat ones Tim ---- nice to see something different