Stellite 6k - The New King: Who is using it?

HJK

You thought Talonite was the ruling supersubstance? To paraphrase Kit Carson, "Stellite Rules". Well, I have to take this on faith because I spent so much money on Talonite I haven't been able to pick up a knife made of the new Stellite.
The merits of the stuff are being debated on other threads, and I look forward to an eclipse of the talonite thread record for length and wierdness. But that ain't the point of this thread.
WHO IS MAKING KNIVES OUT OF STELLITE 6K? And who has used it? What's available? How good is it? What's coming soon?
I, and probably a few others, would like to see what is out there and available. If it's so good, gotta try it and hear about it.

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 09-28-2000).]

I been using it for years. Love it.
As Tom and I agreed, Cobalt Rules
biggrin.gif

I bought 15 pounds of it over 16 years ago.. used up all of the .125" and .187" years ago. Still have some .092" for folder blades. It is good stuff....I cant tell much difference between it and Talonite.... Kit says he notices a difference.....but like 440C and ATS 34......although there is a difference....it is slight and not noticed by the average person....Kit may disagree with me here and thats fine with me as he has been using it more consistently than I.

------------------
http://www.mayoknives.com

HJK,
Very good stuff as Kit & Tom said - only know as user, not making knives - both hold an edge & cut equally well. The only difference I have been able to notice & it is small is the matrix that contains the carbides is a little harder with the Stellite it seems - the edge seems to be a little tougher & it takes 4 passes a side rather than 2 with Talonite to bring it back to shaving sharp. They are not the end-all blade material - no steel/alloy is! - but they make a damn fine blade that is stain, rust & corrosion resistant,especially when done by the likes of Carson, Simonich, Mayo, RJ Martin, Blackwood et. al.

Bottom line is if you like Talonite you will like Stellite 6K. Both are equally good & RULEZZZZ!

Bill

Pricewise, how does Talonite, Stellite and Dentritic Cobalt compare? They seem to all perform equally, which is cheapest to use?

Hi, I'm not too familiar with the whole talonite/stellite debates and such, but I've got a few questions. Would these non-ferrous metals make good dive knives? I haven't seen them advertised anywhere and started to wonder why some enterprising knife manufacturer hadn't tried selling 100% rustproof dive knives yet.

Mark

My first bar of stellite is somewhere between here and Canada! I think a first attempt will be 2 of my Medium Hunters. I guess it's a good thing that I just recieved an order of roughing belts and carbide drills
smile.gif

Neil

------------------
Knives IN STOCK!!!!

blackwoodknives.com

Just a couple of points.
Tom, I feel the 6K that Deloro is putting out currently is a little better than the older stuff you and I have used.

Mark, I have made the U2 Dive Knife with Stellite. Cost is the major problem. Before I start the knife, I have $300-400 just in the barstock. Add on the base price of the U2 and the extra time/belts used and you are looking at $750 or more.
Way too costly for the factories, even with a smaller dive knife.

Steve, All three are in the same ballpark on price.

Cobalts Rule
biggrin.gif

Well, they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, and guess what Talonite imitates???
smile.gif
I have used some of the "Old" Stellite, in fact I got one piece from Tom Mayo. It made an excellent knife, and the only difference I could tell on this one knife was the Stellite took a nicer finish.

Kit, havent heard back from Deloro, going on 2 weeks. I want to try the "new" Stellite in the worst way. Maybe they dont want to talk to the Talonite guy?
smile.gif
Is it better to just call them? Stellite may very well rule, if you can get it!

COBALT ALLOY RULES!

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

Mark,
Talonite/Stellite will make a great dive knife since it is corrosion & rust free but as Kit said the problem is the cost - it would be difficult for a manufacturer to make one because of the cost involved but if you were willing to pay the price for a custom you would have a lifetime investment. Other features lending themselves to making a great dive knife are Talonite's ability to keep cutting well after the razor edge is gone & the ease of resharpening. I recently acquired a Talonite Quickening from RJ Martin with the sheath set up for diving & it is awesome - it was not cheap but it is the last dive knife I'll ever need. Just make sure it is securely attached via lanyard - not one you'd want to lose!
Bill

Rob,
The best thing to do as far as Deloro.... Call Kelly Miller. She is VERY nice and VERY helpfull.
800-267-2886
Neil

------------------
Knives IN STOCK!!!!

blackwoodknives.com

So is the cost of S.6k so high that it's impractical to make a knife of that material without a specific order? Or do you think that like Talonite the demand is or will be high enough to justify making up one or two without custom orders? How do you decide on that? Do you plan it around upcoming shows, articles?expressions of interest?

I see that Brian Tighe will be making some folders of this material. It's on his website too.

HJK,
I made my first Talonite knives just to see what the material was like. I'm pretty much doing the same thing with Stellite.
As a part time maker, a little R&D is not a big deal. I've done the same thing with Damasteel and other $$$$$ materials. If you saw what's involved with developing my folders, a bar of Stellite is NOTHING!!!!!!!
wink.gif

I DID choose to make Medium Hunters because they a popular patern for me.... AND they are easy for me to grind!!! After 2 Talonite LiteWaves, I have NO intentions of doing anything complicated with my first Stellite!!!
Neil

------------------
Knives IN STOCK!!!!

blackwoodknives.com

Rob
Tom Walz of Carbide Proccesors is kindly allowing me to design and test a Talonite knife. I will get to keep this knife. It will be a medium sized camp knife. Would you like to give your opinion on the sutability of this material for this task? I know there is a lot about Talonite on the forums, but a very brief rundown on why Talonite is so good, would be great. I will be using this as a diary of a knife. As a result I will be posting details of this project step by step on this group and Rec.knives. Any quotes you could give me to put to the groups would be great!

I would also like to discus in detail through private e-mail if possible with you. Feel free to post to my e-mail if that is ok with you.
W.A.

------------------

Neil,
If your Stellites turn out like your your Talonites, they will be superb and I'll have to get me one or two
biggrin.gif

Stellite 6K knives are available from Bison Blades, Calgary, Alberta, Canada in three blade styles, overall lengths 7 1/4", Micarta scales and Kydex sheath. Price - $265.00 U.S plus S&H. For more info. contact Al Jones - Bison Blades - Phone: (403) 257-0393
Fax: (403) 257-3447
Email: bisonblades@3web.net
Originally posted by HJK:
You thought Talonite was the ruling supersubstance? To paraphrase Kit Carson, "Stellite Rules". Well, I have to take this on faith because I spent so much money on Talonite I haven't been able to pick up a knife made of the new Stellite.
The merits of the stuff are being debated on other threads, and I look forward to an eclipse of the talonite thread record for length and wierdness. But that ain't the point of this thread.
WHO IS MAKING KNIVES OUT OF STELLITE 6K? And who has used it? What's available? How good is it? What's coming soon?
I, and probably a few others, would like to see what is out there and available. If it's so good, gotta try it and hear about it.

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 09-28-2000).]

Stellite 6K knives are available from Bison Blades in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Available in three blade styles, overall length 7 1/4", Micarta scales, Kydex sheaths - $265.00 U.S. plus S&H. For more info. contact Al Jones @ Bison Blades
Phone: (403) 257-0393
Fax: (403) 257-3447
Email: bisonblades@3web.net

Kit Carson DID make two dive knives out of Talonite (r); Mike Turber still has my small one (he is 'testing' it), but here is a pic of my large one. The price of the large is high, as the 1/4" stock is special order; plus there are a lot of belts that have to be used in the forming. To get Kit to satin finish this one was quite an achievement! It is shown with a #18 Talonite folder for comparison. The OAL of the large U-2 is about 12", blade length about 7". Scales are black linen micarta.

View

Pretty, don't you think?

Walt

Back