Stellite 6k - The New King: Who is using it?

Absolutely beautiful knives Walt. You photographic skills seem to be improving. Great work Kit.

-Johnny

From all I have read in the past about Stellite it would seem this stuff is VERY hard to gind? I can remember reading this material requires MANY belts and LOTS of time to grind.. Is this wrong?
I havent had this experience with Talonite and would like to hear from Mr. Carson who I think is the premier maker of Stellite knives, and a MASTER of his trade.
Any insight you could provide would be much appreciated Mr. Carson. I LOVE your work by the way:)

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi

Nice knives Walt! Kit's folders are shweeeet & the dive knife ain't tooo bad either! I have a Talonite Quickening from RJ Martin in 1/4" with green/brown Micarta handles with checkering set up as a dive knife. Talonite in 1/4" gives you one solid heavy knife that should hold up to any abuse and be maintenance-free. RJ's work on it is absolutely awesome as usual - checkering on the handles really gives a good grip and like all of RJ's knives it is scary sharp. I can't imagine you could find any better dive knives than these two we have - only drawback is the cost but if you want the best! - I know when using mine I am going to have it securely attached to my person - not one would want to lose. Will try to get pics soon - need to borrow friends digital camera.

Bill

Trace,
Thanks for the kind words.

I use the 3M 977 Ceramic belts, 50 up to 120 grit, to rough grind Stellite. The problem comes in after than. Ceramic belts do a great job but you can't get the 977 any finer than 120. I've not found a belt above 120 grit that will not dull almost on contact with the 6K. It just takes time and belts to get to a 400 grit finish.
I use the Ceramic Bead to bead blast. It works well. On hand rubbed finishes, I go to the 400 grit on the grinder and then go back to 220 paper and work up to 400 grit.

My advice is to experiment and find what works for you.

Back