Steve Irwin's blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crikey! The air waves have been flooded since Steve died with as many shows as they can cram into Animal Planets opening slots. I noticed in many of the shows he wears a long hip kydex rig. I'm thinking BK 77 or sum such plus 7" blade. In flashes when the top jaw rope must be cut the blade shows NO black coating at all.Just a satin style finish.

Curiosity has the best of me on this one. Any Croc Hunter fans / knife nuts been able to figure what Steve did in fact choose for his life saving blade of choice?
Thanks,
Peace.

I don't know, but I had seen him use an SAK from his pocket before. I have see footage of the sheathed belt knife as well, but didn't notice what it was.

I watched him use a Spyderco Moran fixed blade to cut out a wicked huge splinter in his hand. He just sliced his hand open and pulled out the pencil sized splinter.

Hell of a man.

Jzero29 said:
Maybe someone can make a tribute knife...Crocodile design or sting ray?
;)
I'm not so sure I'd throw Sting Ray in the blade for the obvious reason, but I'd be surprised if no knife company cashed in on the Croc Hunter blade as a memorial.With a percentage of proceeds going to Steve's favorite charity.
Bet I'd buy one if it was under a hundred,I know I'd buy one! Sweet idea.

Now I REALLY wonder what rig he counted on to save his life. Someone like Bernard Levine needs to watch a few episodes and tell us all what the heck that huge blade was.
Thanks for the awesome comment,
Peace.:D

Steve being a conservationalist might have had a problem with anything to do with croc or rayskin. You think? I mean the guy cried his eyes out when a crocodile he was monitoring died. He cried like it was a family member of his that died.

psycho78: It doesnt have to be made of croc or rayskin actually a ray anywhere on the blade would be in poor taste. I think a blade with maybe an image of a croc someone on the handle or even maybe steve's signature on the blade. I think he would be honored and really happy to see the proceeds go into his foundation. I think it would be a grand idea and I would chip in and buy. He was truly a good person and an inspiration the world over.

He was a great guy. It is a shame he had to go so young. I salute him.
I too strained my eyes when he wore that knife trying to figure out what make it was. It always made to me think of Tarzan when he wrestled crocs wearing it.

I emailed him a long time ago and asked what kind of knife he carried. I got a reply from a lady at his zoo saying that he often carried a fixed blade knife that he made. Seemed really cool to me at the time that he also made knives.

I remember seeing him a few times working crocs out of his shoreline traps and he had a big fixed blade on his hip that looked a lot like the old Cold Steel Bush Ranger. Never saw it out of the sheath though.

psycho78 said:
I watched him use a Spyderco Moran fixed blade to cut out a wicked huge splinter in his hand. He just sliced his hand open and pulled out the pencil sized splinter.

Hell of a man.

Yeah he was a tough mother father. I really liked him.:( Espeacially that he practiced what he preached. Sting-ray is not how i thought hed go down. :(

He was a true enviornmentalist.:thumbup:

Billman said:
wouldn't sting ray just be in bad taste?
Yes, it would be in poor taste. Steve Irwin was about animal conservation. He would never want any animals hurt!!

There was a discussion about an Irwin tribute knife over at the Spyderco forums. I'm not sure what, if any, results will come of it, but Mr. Glesser is well known for considering the input and requests provided by ELU's.

Great all.
It's a blow to animal conservation globally at the least to loose it's champion Steve Irwin.
Of course any depiction of a Ray at all would not be tolerated by anyone.
But perhaps as Shootist16 has indicated he used a homemade! GREAT! The best news yet! Make a true copy of his and here's one,NO Croc on the blade or handle at all.
Just a pure replica of his personal favorite in a presentation box noting his name and perhaps a short bio on his legacy. That's it. You buy the blade, you look at it. You show it to loved ones and friends,tell them where you bought it. And the whole thing is that above and beyond proceeds of the blade go to his Wildlife Warriors Fund for the preservation of Earth's wildlife.
Good man, great father, and the best most sensitive role model for conservation yet.
So how about a Buck knife?
A Case knife...nice tins?
Bah, needs to be B I G G E R !!! His was from hip to knee.
How about my fellow bladeaholics? Who or what company is capable of pulling off such a large scale adventure, and willing to watch their profits go to support wildlife?
God how I wish I was a wealthy as Bill Gates,I'd produce it and distribute it to all forum MEMBERS as a thank you for supporting our OWN foundation.Blade Forums.
Then I'd send a check for 10 Million dollars to Steve's fund.
OUCH... just pinched myself, day dreaming again.
Blade Forum Rules!
Peace.

TheKnifeCollector said:
Yes, it would be in poor taste. Steve Irwin was about animal conservation. He would never want any animals hurt!!
He may never have wanted any animals hurt, but he did want them dead sometimes. Steve hunted feral hogs because they interfered with the native flora and fauna.

I was very sad to hear that he died.....he was one cool guy. RIP Steve, you will be missed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back