Steve Irwin's blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On some of the early shows he carried a Ka-bar/F-U style knife. He also carried a "original bowie" type knife with wood scales.

to psycho78, as aarong50 states right after your post, and as I did in my original post, I stated design, I don't think he would have used the skin or anything of either, but a knife with bolster/finger guard shaped like a a croc tooth or jaw. Maybe a handle with a croc carved into it. Maybe a nice DESIGN etched into the blade. That was my suggestion.

In a couple of episodes you will see CS LTC Kukri and some CS Recon Scouts. Also on a wall were a couple sjambok and CS Machete. Several of his associates appeared to have CS Voyagers clipped to in their pockets as well.

Matador-

i think i saw one of his buddys carrying a CS Bushman when they were looking for "Super Croc"

I read in the knife laws forum, that it is against the law to carry a knife in Austraila, if that is so, how did Steve get away with it? I always wondered what kind of knife he carried also. A knife modeled after the one he carried would be nice, I would get one unless they were over $300. He was truly a great man, greater than 95% of most of the people in the world (me included).

Maybe Greg lightfoot could do a croc knife with a croc tooth incorperated into the handle the same as one he did with a sharks tooth.Crocs just replace their teeth by the way!!!!!!

stevomiller said:
He may never have wanted any animals hurt, but he did want them dead sometimes. Steve hunted feral hogs because they interfered with the native flora and fauna.

Thanks for pointing that out, Steve Irwin was a dedicated "conservationist", not neccesarily an "environmentalist" as some of the media portray him.

RIP Croc' Man!

In one of his early shows he killed a wild hog with a Ruger 10/22 for croc bait. I think he hunted some.

I'd be interested in a Steve Irwin knife, too. While I was never particularly interested in his wildlife shows, I did watch them occasionally and was impressed by what a great guy he was. He was the sort of guy everyone likes - a great personality. I'd be suprised if there hadn't been a thread about him here on Bladeforums.

Believe it or not, there was a feminist (I forget her name) who made nasty comments about Irwin to the Australian media. The whole country was outraged at the woman. I guess every country is cursed with a few jerks.

I think Steve had a great number of knives. I've seen him use a folder, a larger fixed blade (Unknown) and plenty of other types of knives including the Ka-bar. With all the shows he did it's hard to keep track.

Yes, Steve did love animals, but he didn't much care for the imports. Boars, rats, mice, and feral dogs as I remember were all part of his show on pests. Of course they had a big problem with rabbits too.

May he finally swim free with the dinosaurs.

If you could ask him what knife he liked to edc,i dont think he would care-his problem was common sence.

I have to admit that i really don't care about celeberties at all but I was sadded when I heard about Mr Irwins death.The world needs 10,000 more of him.

I have always wondered about this too. I think his main knife was a homemade bowie with about a 10" blade. Kind of like a CS Laredo but with a wider blade and slightly upswept quillions. "Winchester" makes a very similar cheapie they sell at Dick's for around $25.

The other thing I wonder is if he made more than one. In a couple different episodes I've seen other members of his team carrying very similar knives on their belts. If he made several, I wonder how much these blades would be worth (a hell of a lot, I imagine) I also wonder if Steve ever intended to use the big knife for defense if he ever really really got into trouble with a big croc, like Crocodile Dundee.(at least, early in his career) It seems to me that a shroud cutter would make more sense for cutting rope if that's all the blade was intended for.

Crikey! The air waves have been flooded since Steve died with as many shows as they can cram into Animal Planets opening slots. I noticed in many of the shows he wears a long hip kydex rig. I'm thinking BK 77 or sum such plus 7" blade. In flashes when the top jaw rope must be cut the blade shows NO black coating at all.Just a satin style finish.

Curiosity has the best of me on this one. Any Croc Hunter fans / knife nuts been able to figure what Steve did in fact choose for his life saving blade of choice?
Thanks,
Peace.
In one of his episodes when he’s relocating a giant croc he uses a gerber gator folder to cut some rope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back