Still have your first SAK?

I have an SAK that my parents got me for Christmas back in 1975, when I was 11, my first knife of any kind. Picked it out with my dad at Hoffritz at the airport in New York. It went with me through high school. Opened wine in college. Received more abuse than any knife should back in my apartment dweller days (broken reprofiled tip from a groundskeeping job, reground screwdivers, replaced scissors spring several times, dropped and dinged handles, bent small blade). It is retired now, and yet I take it out and remember when it was brand new at Christmas each year and smile. I was wondering if anyone out there remembers their first SAK and the worst thing they put it through...

Yup, got a economy camper. In great condition, has no rust or anything like that. Shaving sharp with beat up handles. It was my first knife ever, got it for a canoe trip when I was 15.

My first SAK was a Economy Tinker, it's a little worn out now and has got a little wobble in the awl but other than that still as handy as my other SAK's.

David

Yeh, I have my first. It had no tools just a larger and smaller blade ("Pocket Pal"). I got it for my BSA wood carving merit badge...Techniquely, I don't have it cause I sent it out to be serviced and have the handle plates replaced about a week ago...I am anxiously awaiting its return.:eek:

my first real one is still have, wenger handyman. only a few years old, but i thought i'd chime in.

had a few cheap ones growing up, and remember using one as a throwing knife at one point. threw it into a pine tree in FL and the blade snapped. ahhh, child hood memories and cheap knives :)

My first was a Wenger Outdoorsman, similar to the Vic Ranger with the addition of the fish-scaler tool, bought it at 13 y.o. I remember seeing it in a watch store where they also sold Wenger watches alongside the pocket knives they had for display. Took me 4 months waiting to get one with my birthday money and Christmas money!

I'm amazed at all the work the SAK can do over the long haul and go on with next to no care. Lots of those cheap knives come and go in time, but it seems from reading the posts in the forum that the SAK is one of the tools that people just keep on carrying. Along the same lines, I started wondering about how long they last as an EDC knife. Just to add to the pot, if you have an older one in rotation or EDC service, let me know how long have you carried it (I'm wondering about the user/retired user knives, not the collector's items). Thanks.

My first SAK was a Vic Rambler, I have used to do all sort of things and now lives in my first aid kit. I know I have a good knive when I need it most!

When I was in High School ('72-'73) my parents went to Europe and brought back a SAK-Handyman. It's seen a lot of action but is still a great looking tool and always cleans up nice. From all perspectives, that knife beats my WorkChamp any day of the week.:cool:

Vic. Spartan that I got from my dad. It was a promotional item from Wisk [laundry detergent]. The large blade has lost some of its shine but it is still incredible sharp. The scales are also a bit dinged up. I put the knife through hell and back and those were the only issues that have come up.

I stopped carrying it everyday when I was about 17 and I bought a leatherman wave. Quite simply, I had different tool needs hence why I switched. Sometimes I'll carry it for no reason other than I simply like the knife.

Bartleby said:
I'm amazed at all the work the SAK can do over the long haul and go on with next to no care. Lots of those cheap knives come and go in time, but it seems from reading the posts in the forum that the SAK is one of the tools that people just keep on carrying. Along the same lines, I started wondering about how long they last as an EDC knife. Just to add to the pot, if you have an older one in rotation or EDC service, let me know how long have you carried it (I'm wondering about the user/retired user knives, not the collector's items). Thanks.

For 12+ years my Swisschamp has been in almost daily use, inluding the occasional abuse (like hammering with it). It shows few signs of wear and functions perfectly. The only maintenance ever has been blade sharpening, replacing a few scissor springs and treating it to a few drops of oil every year or so. My wife has been carrying a Vic model that also performs well with no maintenance at all since 1974.

Is this a testimonial, or what? :)

Actually, I recently found my first SAK, a Spartan given to me by my high school exchange brother in 1972. It was in the very bottom of a canvas sack full of old fencing parts. The Spartan cleaned and sharpened up just fine.

I still EDC the old vic classic I got for christmas eleven years ago, and I'm probably going to continue to carry it until I hit the opposite extreme and get a swisschamp. Apart from the scissors spring snapping a few years ago, it still works like the day I got it.

Yes, I do, an Explorer. I retired it because I couldn't bear to beat it up any more. Got it as a Christmas present in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

My first SAK was a Vic Camper (or something very similar) that my dad bought me in the mid 80's. I haven't seen it in years. Recent efforts to find it have not been successful. I do recall that I had broken the tip off the large blade, damaged the scales by getting it caught inside a Lay Z Boy and lost the tweezers and toothpick. I'm going to keep looking for it. Hopefully it will turn up.

Unfortunately, I've lost my first SAK but I do have a Spartan from the 80's which has been retired after a couple of decades of great service. It is still in what I would consider "very good" condition.

I still have and regularly use the Vic Huntsman that I proudly bought with my own money when I was 12 (1982 or so). For many years it was my only edc.

Looking at the posts, I remembered the first one I ever saw in 5th grade. We were allowed to bring something to do on the last day of school and one of the guys brought his SAK, don't remember the model (those were the days, not only was in the inner circle enough to check out this high tech marvel, we also understood that when his dad said to leave the sharp blades closed he meant it). The teacher did have him put it up, in his pocket, for safety's sake.

Here's where I saw my first SAK, although I had some awareness of what they were:

When I was twelve, my father and I spent a Spring weekend on Mackinac Island, between Michigan's Upper and Lower Penninsulas. My father was in a bluegrass band at the time and they had a gig in a bar there for the weekend. This is a quaint, touristy place with all sorts of gift shops and such. One gift shop sold outdoorsy stuff and it had a large display case of different SAKs with all of the implements deployed. I repeatedly went there and looked at them, noting the variety of implements, and deciding which ones I would want. I had no money, but I resolved to get one. How could I have possibly gooten this far in life without something so neat and useful? How could I possibly continue? I decided that the Huntsman was the SAK for me, due to its array of implements.

By July, I had saved up the $25 or so dollars needed for the Huntsman by doing extra chores and collecting soda can deposits. I had my mother take me to an Army Navy store, where I got the Huntsman. I must have chosen wisely when I was twelve, because I still carry and use it frequently. The scales are beat up, the main blade has some stains on it from battery acid, and the toothpick is no longer removeable because I once got superglue on it. It's had the scissors spring replaced at least four times.

I'd like to pass it on to my daughter when she's old enough (she'll be born in March so it'll be awhile), or perhaps get her a new one like it.

Back