Stockman roundup.. Lets see 'em...

Thank you Jeff! It's deep jigging and thick slabs, I have a Copperhead in it too and that's the same.

But the bone on that Fightin Rooster of yours, just stupendous, dayumm:D:thumbup:

Tidioute #82 Dixie Stockman. This is one I had to be patient with because they are few and far between, especially in the Osage Orange handle material. After I got this one, I realized why. This knife has 3 wonderful blade choices. At 4.125" it is a big knife, but it carries remarkably well in the pocket. I was pleasantly surprised!:D

26512927295_4d3ae48031_b_d.jpg

I've managed to accumulate a pretty decent selection of stockman knives, something I wouldn't have expected even a year or so ago. As a fan of the Barlow style, and jackknives in general, I thought perhaps a stockman was too "busy". Since getting my first Case #75, however, I haven't looked back.

Pre-patina, the only decent individual photo I have of the blade etch (a.k.a. how "Mac" got its name):

Funny how construction companies seem to trend towards the stockman for advertising knives...

While I don't consider myself a fan of the Case #18 medium stockman, the punch variant has proven to be a valuable addition and complements the #75 (or any number of other knives) rather well.

More to come...

My current collection of stockman knives. I was never huge on the style, but I've seen to collect a few recently. The small Craftsman was my grandfather's, I believe it is from the '60s.

hsYkxfl.jpg

2012 Case 63090 SS Medium Stockman in old red pocket worn bone:

5uc7vok.jpg

Among things that make me happy, a sleek equal-end stockman with fully-sunk joints is right up there. :)

Figured instead of wasting a fresh thread with this I'd just bump the existing stockman thread from page 8 :)eek: :eek: :eek:).

One of the reasons I haven't carried the Case 6318 more often, or similarly-apportioned knives from other makers (I have quite a few), is because of the Turkish clip. To me, it's the kind of blade that looks cool but doesn't seem as useful as a master blade on a multi-blade knife. I've got a 6318PU in CV that ticks two of my stockman boxes (carbon steel and a punch) that gets some pretty regular carry but that seems to be the exception to the medium-sized stockman rule.

Today, while I was going through some of my newer acquisitions (and other neglected knives), I grabbed this 6318 in red and tossed it into the box to take some snapshots. Only when I got to the stockman and opened it up for its "close-up" did I notice something:

That's no Turkish clip! The profile is a lot more like my big 6375's master clip blade, and a slightly narrower version of the typical "broad" clip I have on so many of my Barlows. In other words, this is how I wish the 6318 line had been built. But where's the Turkish clip? Could this be a mistake (both my Turkish clip 6318s and this one have all the same stampings, no indication in the model number that I can see), or have I just been ignorant of this variation for all this time? Here are photos of one of my other non-punch 6318s along with the one I sent to SadSappySucker for winning a GAW -- both with the "typical" Turkish clip master:

Seems like no matter how long you are involved in this hobby there's always something new to discover. :cool:

Figured instead of wasting a fresh thread with this I'd just bump the existing stockman thread from page 8 :)eek: :eek: :eek:).

One of the reasons I haven't carried the Case 6318 more often, or similarly-apportioned knives from other makers (I have quite a few), is because of the Turkish clip. To me, it's the kind of blade that looks cool but doesn't seem as useful as a master blade on a multi-blade knife. I've got a 6318PU in CV that ticks two of my stockman boxes (carbon steel and a punch) that gets some pretty regular carry but that seems to be the exception to the medium-sized stockman rule.

Today, while I was going through some of my newer acquisitions (and other neglected knives), I grabbed this 6318 in red and tossed it into the box to take some snapshots. Only when I got to the stockman and opened it up for its "close-up" did I notice something:

That's no Turkish clip! The profile is a lot more like my big 6375's master clip blade, and a slightly narrower version of the typical "broad" clip I have on so many of my Barlows. In other words, this is how I wish the 6318 line had been built. But where's the Turkish clip? Could this be a mistake (both my Turkish clip 6318s and this one have all the same stampings, no indication in the model number that I can see), or have I just been ignorant of this variation for all this time? Here are photos of one of my other non-punch 6318s along with the one I sent to SadSappySucker for winning a GAW -- both with the "typical" Turkish clip master:

Seems like no matter how long you are involved in this hobby there's always something new to discover. :cool:
I discovered the same thing about a week ago, and bought one in Pocket Worn Red Bone. I too have always been fond of the 18 pattern but not impressed with the Turkish clip. This is a big improvement and I'd like to see it on more of them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Same here. Love the 6318, but not a big fan of the Turkish clip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I discovered the same thing about a week ago, and bought one in Pocket Worn Red Bone. I too have always been fond of the 18 pattern but not impressed with the Turkish clip. This is a big improvement and I'd like to see it on more of them.

That could be the key. I did not receive this knife in a box, but I always noticed the difference in jigging and the "apparent wear". Comparing with the previous post from Dadpool, the bone on mine looks a lot like his Pocket Worn equal-ender. I'm now wondering if Case decided to release the medium stockman in this line with a more typical clip master to further set it off from the "regular" x318s. Good catch! :thumbup:

TsarBomba, It's not a mistake. I recall seeing that blade on the 18 pattern around 1997. I also prefer that blade shape. Nice knife. :thumbup:

Thanks. Given that Pocket Worn had their 20th anniversary recently (I know this because I saw the secondary market inundated with anniversary knives :eek:) the one you saw at the end of the 90s could have been part of the line.

Has anyone noticed any other differences between run-of-the-mill Cases and the PW line besides the way they finish the jigged bone? I've never seen any info from Case regarding the so-branded knives aside from the description of how they treat the bone handles.

Good call. They were pocket worn knives. I remember the late 90s pocket worn knives were available in red bone, green bone, and black bone. There may have been other colors as well.

I'm no expert in deciding stockman or not but the following has a main clip and then a long spey and a long pen. It's a big one and can only imagine what the 98's feel like. GEC calls this a whittler according to their numbering system. Made in 2008 and sat until last week, so a few pepper spots and swirl marks. To tell the truth, I'm happy for the marks because it makes it easier for it to become a user which was what I had in mind. Some of my recent purchases are almost too pretty.

Alan

I'm no expert in deciding stockman or not but the following has a main clip and then a long spey and a long pen... GEC calls this a whittler according to their numbering system.

Nice knife.

A stockman is always serpentine. Your knife is equal end, not serpentine. GEC has used "stockman" to describe some of their equal end knives but it doesn't match up with historical pattern names.

Cattle knives and stock knives are terms of art. The modern usage of whittler is a collector term. Typically, the master blade on a whittler is supported by 2-springs.

Some of the old cattle knife derivatives had a 3 spring design like your knife. I would call your knife a cattle knife derivative... but that's just my best guess. I usually ask BRL when I have questions about pattern names.

Thanks again Jake. Cattle knife it is, especially since it's as heavy as one.

Alan

Back