Stout backpacking knife

Call me a caveman

You are a cave man.

No wrong way to do this. If you want to go ultra-lite or if you need to use a big chopper, it is all about what you find fun!

The Busse and kin look fun. I'll throw in a suggestion for the Esee Junglas though. Great knife and even better system with sheath and back.

Discussing the merits of a big knife with a backpacker is like discussing the merits of a steak dinner with a vegetarian.

Out on your own, on foot, without vehicular or 4 legged transportation "light is right, and lighter is righter." "Ounces= Pounds and Pounds= pain" But, if hiking is secondary to camping, and you aren't going far- by your own definition of far- carry what you want. That said, regardless of how far you are going, carry what you want. But, remember that anything you carry in, you are obligated to carry out.

We are on a knife forum, talking about knives. There is very little NEED that every enters the discussions. This is a site devoted to luxury items filled with discussions about their use. Most of us invent uses for our cutlery because modern life is pre packaged and perforated for convenience. Do you need a big chopper for an overnight camping trip? No. Do you need a big axe? No. As a matter of fact, most public areas prohibit the chopping and/or felling of trees, and what you can gather from dead fall is likely small enough, or can be made small enough to burn without a chopping tool of any kind. But, we bring them along anyway.

For a big chopping knife, I recommend the Scrapyard Dogfather. It is a great knife and the S77 steel is tough and takes a keen edge. For a "sturdy camp knife" I recommend the Busse Sar5- if you can find one. It is big enough for any task that I can readily imagine for typical camp duty, but small enough to carry all day without being a burden. If you are a through-hiker, and camping is secondary to the thrill of carrying everything on your back and walking as far as possible with as little as possible, a SAK camper has a saw and will do anything you need a knife or a saw to do.

Discussing the merits of a big knife with a backpacker is like discussing the merits of a steak dinner with a vegetarian.

You can convince them to have a delicious steak! Or not, more steak for you.

.... Do you need a big chopper for an overnight camping trip? No. Do you need a big axe? No. As a matter of fact, most public areas prohibit the chopping and/or felling of trees, and what you can gather from dead fall is likely small enough, or can be made small enough to burn without a chopping tool of any kind. But, we bring them along anyway.....

If I am backpacking or camping, I am trying to escape for a few days from ho-hum of the usual grind. I would take a big knife or two, because I can and because it allows me to do novel things. If comfort were my primary concern, I would be sitting on the couch at home, chewing on trail mix and watching the nature channel. I am sure that I would feel differently if i had a more challenging mission objective, but usually I am just out to enjoy the change of scenery, to take in a little freah air and relax.

n2s

I just picked up two new in the box from the late 1970s Gerber Magnum Hunter fixed blade knives. These knives are heavy very well made M2 tool steel knives. I told my wife that come an earthquake or zombie invasion these are the two knives we should each lace onto our belts. I am also looking forward to camping with them.

AntDog,

This thread would be running better if the OP chose a title like "Stout Chopper".

This thread is like one titled "Fast Sports Car" containing a first post saying "I'm considering a Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram". Nobody is busting on his love of big choppers. The problem is that calling that style of camping is way out step with what is expected when the subject is "backpacking". For backpacking, the Leatherman Squirt PS4 is ideal.

OP, as others have alluded to, I've grown to deeply respect the ideals of leave no trace camping. I've to too many places that have been too trashed by too many people. Sometimes, it just takes one party to wreck a site.

I've also found that leave no trace techniques and the lightweight tools they utilize to be every bit as fascinating and rewarding as knives and knife craft.

Whatever manner of "backpacking" that is typically done isn't the topic. Sure, weight of equipment is always kept to a minimum and even bragged about. However, I don't think an extra pound of knife is worth quibbling over.

The OP is looking for a certain type of blade for a certain type of purpose. I made a recommendation to him. (Busse Basic 9)

In the great scheme of things, if your fully loaded pack weighed *gasp* 14 lbs instead of 13? So what? What if that whole extra pound of weight meant you had a big blade to work with?

I don't get all these arguments over weight. It's bunk. If you can't carry another pound, like I say over and over again, don't skip leg day. It ain't that much at all.

You just might find one big blade out in the woods is worth the extra measly pound.

The "get stronger" argument demonstrates a lack of understanding as to why you should go light. I would put the physical fitness of ultralighters light years ahead of the typical big knife crowd. ;) Just sayin.

As to the ops question; I have a 711 and it's a good knife. I don't think you'll need more chopping power then that unless you just like chopping. You'll probably need to have whatever knife you buy reground. Every bussekin knife I've bought was WAY too thick in the edge.

AntDog,

This thread would be running better if the OP chose a title like "Stout Chopper".

This thread is like one titled "Fast Sports Car" containing a first post saying "I'm considering a Ford F-150 or Dodge Ram". Nobody is busting on his love of big choppers. The problem is that calling that style of camping is way out step with what is expected when the subject is "backpacking". For backpacking, the Leatherman Squirt PS4 is ideal.

OP, as others have alluded to, I've grown to deeply respect the ideals of leave no trace camping. I've to too many places that have been too trashed by too many people. Sometimes, it just takes one party to wreck a site.

I've also found that leave no trace techniques and the lightweight tools they utilize to be every bit as fascinating and rewarding as knives and knife craft.

Understandable, but it's not like I'm just chopping up every tree in site. I don't care for the, one tin can, no fire, one little tiny knife idea. I carry decent equipment, a loaded glock 10mm, with extra mags, and whatever I need to be decently comfortable. Can I survive off basically nothing, hell yes, better than most. I'm plenty young, physically able, and I know quite a bit. But I like knives, and good gear. I guess I could have labeled this thread different. But I didn't. I stated what im wanting!

The "get stronger" argument demonstrates a lack of understanding as to why you should go light. I would put the physical fitness of ultralighters light years ahead of the typical big knife crowd. ;) Just sayin.

As to the ops question; I have a 711 and it's a good knife. I don't think you'll need more chopping power then that unless you just like chopping. You'll probably need to have whatever knife you buy reground. Every bussekin knife I've bought was WAY too thick in the edge.

So what I'm thinking, is my camp tramp or team Gemini will be more than enough. I was also thinking a light weight machete, the last trip I did was along the river for around 15 miles, I did have to clear some over growth to get through the trail. I have never really been into choppers much, usually preferred a small knife paired with a tomahawk. But after this last 30 mile 3 day trip, at over 5000 ft elevation, carrying around 40 pounds total weight, had me thinking more about the one tool thing.

I think I would go with a basic 9 if I could find one, around 14 ounces, and plenty stout, and able enough. But finding one is another story I'm sure. There is a basic 11 in the exchange, but it might be a little to much to carry that far.

I think I would actually prefer one of the choppers Nate the machinist makes, now that is a nice knife!!

But I like knives, and good gear.

Me too!

What kind of stove you carrying? I've been a die hard Svea 123 for decades. Mine is going strong after 30 years of several times a year use, including winters most years. But on my summer trips I've pretty much converted to alcohol as the stoves are just so light and easy to use. I'm digging my Batchstovez 2.0 a whole lot.

What kind of tarp you carrying? I gave up full tents years ago. My Megamid knock off is dying so I've gone to a smaller foot print pup tent style tarp/tent. Really the only way to go, imo, even in black fly season. The weight savings is just so huge.

This is all sounding nutty, isn't it... "good gear" depends on teh goals. Goals may be different and that's ok. I generally want to cover ground. I count weight in ounces. Some count grams. Others pounds.

One other option I think is interesting is the "Skrama," which has been mentioned in some similar threads recently. A member named Greenjacket has posted aboutvthem and I believe he did a review thread as well. It looks like they only ship from one dealer in Finland who is currently sold out, but they still might be worth cheking out. I plan to try to snag one whenever they restock.

I personally think that a Camillus Bushcrafter and the small Fiskars hatchet would be your best bet. Fair prices and great reviews and warranties. Add a Silky saw with the money you'll save. I own them all, and couldn't be more impressed.

Me too!

What kind of stove you carrying? I've been a die hard Svea 123 for decades. Mine is going strong after 30 years of several times a year use, including winters most years. But on my summer trips I've pretty much converted to alcohol as the stoves are just so light and easy to use. I'm digging my Batchstovez 2.0 a whole lot.

What kind of tarp you carrying? I gave up full tents years ago. My Megamid knock off is dying so I've gone to a smaller foot print pup tent style tarp/tent. Really the only way to go, imo, even in black fly season. The weight savings is just so huge.

This is all sounding nutty, isn't it... "good gear" depends on teh goals. Goals may be different and that's ok. I generally want to cover ground. I count weight in ounces. Some count grams. Others pounds.

I go between two different stoves, either a Primus single, or a Primus spider when I go in on horse back. Current tents are a kifaru sawtooth for horse back, or a tarp tent double moment, but I'm thinking on my next trip, of just taking a bug net, and a Sil nylon tarp of some sort, to reduce weight. I like enclosed shelters here in New Mexico in the summer, to many rattle snakes and other things that can turn a trip really bad. Current back pack, is by exo mountain gear, titanium frame, with a 3500 ci bag. Really nice pack. Designed as a hunting pack for hauling meat.

Is spending a little more an option?
If you can get your hands on a carothers light chopper . sounds perfect

That's what I'm thinking, but getting one is another story!!

That's what I'm thinking, but getting one is another story!!

Dude no joke :)
I scored on my first carothers blade ! One of their shivs from blade :eek:
And I too want a field knife and light chopper .
But man I'm just not fast enough lol

Back