Stoves - What do you use?

I am looking for a stove to use while camping. So far the Emberlit stove is ahead of the pack for me. I dont want to use fuel, I want wood burning. Size matters, the better it fits in my back pack the more I like it. I dont have a huge pot, I mainly use GSI cups or canned food. I would also like to keep it under $50 if possible.

So what do you use?

I use either a Super Cat or a Trangia usually. If I am going to use wood I use a small wood gassifier stove that can be easily built with two cans. Very efficient wood stove.

The canteenshop grill top stove stand from canteenshop.com. It's 20.00 dollars and it will fit under your canteen cover and canteen cup. you can use wood or a trangia stove under it . I have one, it works great and is built like a tank.

Littlbug Junior
Weighs a little over 5 ounces

LittlbugJuniorWoodandAlcoholStove.jpg

Mine all use fuel, but I'll post em anyway.
MSR Pocket Rocket, Esbit, and penny stove made from a soda can, burns denat alcohol.

The canteenshop grill top stove stand from canteenshop.com. It's 20.00 dollars and it will fit under your canteen cover and canteen cup. you can use wood or a trangia stove under it . I have one, it works great and is built like a tank.

That is very cool, ill have to pick that up!

Littlbug Junior
Weighs a little over 5 ounces

That might be my new favorite. Thanks!

I have more stoves than should be legal. All the way from a Coleman 3 burner to home made pop can stoves. If you like wood burners you will love the Emberlit. It packs flat and takes up no space in your pack. I have a couple of wood gas stoves I made out of cans. They are great except for the space they required in the pack.

From my experience, if I'm day hiking and have the time, I'll take just the Emberlit with me. I've not had much luck with alcohol stoves here due to the elevation of some of the areas I go. Normally, even in the summer, a lot of the peaks have snow on them and it's hard to get much performance out of my pop cans or traniga stoves. I have decent performance out of my canister stoves, but I recently bought a Primus Omnifuel stove that I love. I've used it a half dozen times and the thing flat out works!

Yup canteen shop grill top. Nestles perfectly with the GSI cup and works great. I usually use a jetboil but if your going wood burning and you use a GSI cup go with the grill top, I love mine.

canteenstove.jpg

img6884k.jpg

The Trangia burner fits in the Emberlit. Thats my setup. Nice having the Trangia option for parks with no-fire policies.

I am yet to find any drawbacks to my Emberlit. Inexpensive, durable, compact, easy to assemble and efficient.

I am glad I posted this, I did not know there were this many stoves. I think I am going to go with the canteen stove for now and the emberlit later. Ill use the emberlit for a two or more nighter.

Yup canteen shop grill top. Nestles perfectly with the GSI cup and works great. I usually use a jetboil but if your going wood burning and you use a GSI cup go with the grill top, I love mine.

canteenstove.jpg

img6884k.jpg
First time I've seen one of these ! Where did you find it ....if you don't mind me asking ?

coaldigger,

It's available at a site called canteenshop.com under canteen gear. They also carry a stainless canteen cup cover that is worth a look at.

Back