Stoves - What do you use?

If I am doing woodburning I have 2 methods.

First if I'm not in a hurry too much I just build a little fire and don't even bother with a stove.
coffeet.jpg

If it's colder or windier or I'm in a hurry I use the Sierra Zip Stove since the wood catches quicker and you can get water boiling faster
zipstove3.jpg

rampck5.jpg

That looks good! Spinach and what else? I need details!

I have one made from a small coffee can but rarely use it. I usually use my MSR pocket rocket or my MSR whisperlite. The whisperlite is great not only ones it work in the freezing cold and high altitudes where the pocket rocket doesn't work good, but it also can use tons of different fuels. It uses regular alcohol, white gas, diesel, gasoline and basically anything that burns

Just an update to my new stove kit; I also have too many stoves, but I like this combo-kit for extended trail hiking and it’ll get some more trail time this spring and summer.

I much prefer the natural-fuel type stoves and the Emberlit is in my day hike and hunting bag, but I’ve been using the Bushbuddy recently along with an alcohol stove. I haven’t really cared much with alcohol in the past, but for moderate weather, it’s a nice option; especially when you’re feeling lazy or it’s raining and you don’t want to bother with scrounging up a couple handfuls of twigs, wood chips or shavings. Honestly though, I can quickly collect up a couple handfuls of small fuel and keep them dry overnight and ready in the morning...more than enough to boil a pot of water. Still, I like the option and can appreciate the alcohol for simplicity and a quick boil.

The nice thing is that the Snow Peak 900ml pot has a bail (Fourdogs mod) for using over an open fire and both the Bushbuddy stove, alcohol stove, scrubbing pad, small bottle of soap (just added) and a simple aluminum foil windscreen all next together.

A little hard to see in this picture, but the alcohol stove just sits in the Bushbuddy and can be used instead of wood fuel:

ROCK6

MicroRocket (previously PocketRocket)
Mechanic Mike Rivet Side Jet alky
Homemade sturdy alky from a friend

On my list to finally buy this year is a TiTri Sidewinder from Trail Designs. Will work on wood, alcohol, and esbit while being light and efficient. Not under $50 though.

Ah, nevermind, the OP got his stove already. Yet another resurrection...

Last edited:
I have a MSR firefly for weight consideration camps and a Coleman 2 burner lead free gas the same as the MSR.

No mention of the biolite yet? I have one but havent brought it to the field yet. But have tested it a few times and it works very well!!!

My all-time favorite is a Coleman Peak 1 feather 400. It's been dead-solid reliable and trouble free, and really cooks! And it's not as heavy and bulky as some think when you consider it's self-contained; the stove, fuel container and pump are all in one unit. Second favorite for when less cooking is required (short solo trips) is a Trangia burner with a small pot stand and windscreen. For ultra-light and compact (and minimal cooking is needed), a folding Esbit stove is easy. I sprung for a Bushbuddy a while back, and haven't really fallen in love with it. Yet. I also spent too much money on a Ghillie Kettle which is so bulky it rarely gets used.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Hey Joe, I have the Canteen shop stove also. I like it. If you do happen to use the Trangia stove with it, it will get very hot guick. I made tea with it here but have also used it to make coffee. It works great.:thumbup:
wkeye5_2006/media/Becker%20Knives/ribs002.jpg.html]
ribs002.jpg
[/URL]

It did a good job making coffee by the creek.

Last edited:
I will be ordering the Canteen shop stove as soon as they re-stock... the original canteen cup and stove does not work as well with a Trangia / Esbit alcohol stove as the canteen cup sinks into the base and snuffs the stove unless you raise the stove or lower the alcohol burner.

My canteen stove carries solid fuel (trioxane and Esbit tabs), a few packets of tea, foil, and a cut down scrubber... the old trioxane tabs pack flat and a couple of these can be easily packed under the canteen cup in the case. 1/3 of a tab will warm 500 ml of water to 130-140 F to warm rations, boil water for a cuppa, and if you can build a fire in the stove or make fire it serves as an excellent fire starter.

MY WW2 German mess kit carries an Esbit solid fuel stove, Esbit alcohol stove, a stainless cup and cover, scrubber, tea, hot chocolate, Clif bars, and dry soup and goes in a MOLLE bag with a folding stove base and utensils for a pretty complete fire-less cooking system.

I also plan to pick up a Swiss volcano stove... these get such good reviews and they seem to be a perfect match for a Trangia / Esbit.

P1010355.jpg

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/807345-Testing-the-Swiss-Volcano-Stove/page2

I've got my eye on the Vargo Hexagonal Wood Stove. The thing looks like quality, and amazes me at how compactly it can be stowed away. Might be a good addition for my BOB, but really a simple Esbit with some fuel tablets, might be much easier to use in a pinch.

I was just wondering guys. Instead of starting a new thread. How well will a msr pocket rocket work on a 6 or 8 inch frying pan? Just to fry up some potato and maybe sausage? Will it cause a big hot spot in the middle or?

It's not ideal, but on low with anodized or non-stick aluminum for better heat distribution, it can be done without burning. I think the new Microrocket has finer low adjustability, which is better. And the better the cookware the better it'll go. In general though, I wouldn't choose to cook with small concentrated burners like the Pocket Rocket. Takes too long to cook stuff like that on low and you have to be on it the whole time.

Coleman single burner: rugged, reliable (except in subzero temperatures) and heavy. OK for canoeing or car camping though, if you don't have to backpack it. MSR Whisperlite: much lighter, a bit tedious to set up, incredibly fuel efficient, works well in any temperature including severe cold. Difficult to modulate the flame, it's either full blast furnace or off. Comes with a maintenance kit. MSR Pocket Rocket: incredibly light, compact, is said to work well down to 0 F. or so (haven't verified this). Fuel canisters are pricey, but convenient. Easy to turn the flame down for simmering.

So what would you recommend for 2 people? Light weight and preferably under 100$

I'm not the best for cooking stove recommendations, as I'm pretty much a boil water kinda backpacker, and for car camping, I use a full coleman propane two-burner. I'm not saying the pocket rocket can't do it, but I know some prefer stoves like the Optimus Crux or the like for the larger head and flame distribution. Anything that gives you good flame control will do ok for simmering, especially if combined with good heat-distributing cookware; you want to be able to control the heat. I'd look into the Snow Peak Gigapower, that's another great budget buy, and folks say the flame pattern is better for cooking, in contrast to the narrow Pocket Rocket flame. Haven't tried cooking in my Microrocket yet, only boiled, but that'd be worth looking into too.

I think I'm going to try the Coleman 1 burner. It doesn't weigh all that much to me. Plus there's 2 of us going so we can distribute the weight pretty well. And maybe later I will pick up the MSR pocket rocket. Hell if they took the same fuel the msr would be good for boiling water quickly and the Coleman would be good for using a frying pan with.

Back