Straighten me out on Boker knives

It is my understanding that it is a requirement of German law that if the knife says Solingen anywhere, it is actually Solingen made. But I could be wrong on that.

Maybe @germania could clear this up. Does Solingen on the shield denote 100% Solingen manufacture, or is that only true if it says Solingen on the tang?

I would imagine that Solingen being a town might have some kind of 'trademark' when it comes putting its name on a knife? There are certain strict rules in the EU and individual countries about this kind of thing. On the tang would inspire confidence in me, the shield if it has German names too.

Here's a Latina from South America :)

s1jDl9b.jpg

Picked up this basically unused ('60s-'70s I think) USA made Barlow at a knife show in 2018. The only tang stamp is the '493' seen here.

Tab3TTJ.jpg

I think I remember seeing something about being made in Germany on the box that this cup came in, but not entirely sure...:oops::D

oQYOKaa.jpg

Typical of what I see on my Boker knives.
The Gents knife is marked with Solingen Germany on the pile side tang.
AgFSWs2.jpg

The Coffin Jack just wanted to be in the picture!
Guua95l.jpg

Both these Nessmis are excellent. Maybe a little more attention to finishing on the Solingen made. The Boker + says Made in China on the box but no mention of country of origin on the blade.
goto6q1.jpg

The Camp knife is clearly marked on the blade and shield.
S9OlG1W.jpg

Round and Round the Boker goes
and where it stops
Nobody knows.
Here we go again....
Nobody actually knows and Boker aren't telling.....are they....

It is my understanding that it is a requirement of German law that if the knife says Solingen anywhere, it is actually Solingen made. But I could be wrong on that.
"The law is an ass"
H.Ford.
"Made" "Manufactured" "Assembled"???
Boker is all over the place....seeming to use interpretation of laws and words to flog their OS built knives as "made in germany"...Caveat Emptor....
I also believe reading the tang stamp is part of reading the knife....knowledge is power.

I'm glad that's all cleared up.
:D:D:thumbsup:
Yes me too ...Pardon my ignorance and I dont mean to be rude to anyone...but when I look at some of these Bokers... I go Thats Not German...but you probably get s good quality knife nevertheless.....price is a good indicator in one respect only:
"Cheap things aint German and German things aint cheap." Meakfucious.
Case in point....
20201207-102814.jpg

This Boker Plus was a free gift from a trader off ebuy...very thoughtful and generous..not a bad little cutter BUT...a couple of the screws have fallen out...the only thing that links it to Germany is the Boker Plus name....plus what? Plus its made in China and Plus thats not written anywhere on it....which IMHO it should...
Cheers.

Last edited:
Good discussion, folks. Let's keep the comments and examples to their traditional products, please.

My experience with Boker Plus is the packaging indicates made in China. No such markings on the knives. Maybe that meets whatever requirements they have.

My newest Boker, made just last year, is a wonderful knife. Solingen is on both the shield and tang, the blades are 440C, and the stag is superb.
waDAq9Q.jpg

0az7Nr7.jpg

This one is from the 1980s, also of very high quality, "Made in Germany" etch and Solingen stamped.
TzHvdjn.jpg

Easily one of my favorite stockman knives, all Solingen from 1974.
zB7IfRO.jpg

My oldest Boker, a junior cattle knife from the 1930s that was made in the USA.
oe5Rlun.jpg

Strictly speaking, Böker USA ceased trading c 1983. Its name was bought up by the parent company in Germany and began again in 1986 but wholly owned by the German founder. I think it has only about 20 employees and think it produces mainly Modern or Tactical type knives? Böker USA Traditionals are long gone.

As for the EU don't think so. It's difficult to buy German made Böker Traditionals in Germany I hear from my collector friends there. i can buy them here in Finland so it's not an EU thing but they do come via USA ;) More like obsessive anti-knife owning laws in many EU countries, most particularly in ex EU member Britain :rolleyes:

What makes you say the American Bökers were so much better than the German ones then?

I have yet to find a shop where I can’t buy a German Böker but they’re not in the window.

My newest Boker, made just last year, is a wonderful knife. Solingen is on both the shield and tang, the blades are 440C, and the stag is superb.
waDAq9Q.jpg

0az7Nr7.jpg

This one is from the 1980s, also of very high quality, "Made in Germany" etch and Solingen stamped.
TzHvdjn.jpg

Easily one of my favorite stockman knives, all Solingen from 1974.
zB7IfRO.jpg

My oldest Boker, a junior cattle knife from the 1930s that was made in the USA.
oe5Rlun.jpg
All really nice examples Jeff! Love the youngest' stag, the uniqueness of the shadow pattern, the jigging on the 3rd and the coolness of the cattle knife!

My Boker Plus is marked AUS8 and performs like it. If you don't have test results to show the 440C is 440A you can't know. If 440C is run soft it will perform like 440A.

Just 'cause 1 email was left unanswered is no reason to trash a firm's customer service. My women sometimes ignore my emails but I don't publicly thrash them :)
The "440A" etched on the blades is a fair indicator it isn't 440C.
Like I said before: "If you or anyone else want to buy a new Boker, go for it. Just don't expect service after the sale, if it's needed."
Even Rough Ryder and BTI Schrade (that pretty much "everyone" bad-mouths because of COO and "low price so they can't be any good") which cost a heck of a lot less than Boker plus and Boer Magnum, answer email, and stand behind their product.
The bail came of my BTI Schrade/Old Timer 23OT 4 blade scout knife. They replaced it no problems/no hassle/no postage due.

If you go to the Boker manufacturer's sub-forum here, (run and managed by Boker) you'll see I'm not the only one they ignore.
Most, if not all questions are answered by consumers, not Boker.
Boker can kiss my Heineken; I'll never buy another new one, and the vintage "Tree Brand" are out of my budget so I'll not be buying one of them, either.

Last edited:
Back