Stranded on a desert Island, which one Becker?

I would.
The 9 grind works well on the 3/16" stock, but I'd FFG that BeastK-2.
I like how the Niner splits with that Saber grind, What advantage would the full flat offer a chopper?
Feel free to talk to me like I'm 2 years old, I'm don't fancy myself an expert in this area.

And did you just name it the "Beast King II"?

I like how the Niner splits with that Saber grind, What advantage would the full flat offer a chopper?
Feel free to talk to me like I'm 2 years old, I'm don't fancy myself an expert in this area.

And did you just name it the "Beast King II"?

The BeastK-2 would wedge more because you'd have a more obtuse primary grind if you only reach the same grind height. If you applied the same primary grind angle as on the BK9 to a 1/4" thick blade, you'd be much closer to a FFG.

Hard to describe in words, and I'm having picture transfer issues.
Imagine in cross-section: The BK-9 grind angle becomes flat at height X because you run out of steel thickeness to grind at at 3/16". If you had 1/4" thick stock, there would still be metal to remove further up toward the spine before you ran into air. So the natural grind termination would be higher at the same angle.

ALSO, the BK-9 is a taller (wider) blade than the BeastK-2, so at the same grind height even in 3/16" stock, the BeastK-2 would be wedgier.

Basically: where the grind stops as it goes up the blade is a secondary result of geometry decisions, not the primary input to the geometry design.

If you like the geometry of the BK-9, but want the 1/4" thick spine, you're going to end up with a higher grind, all else equal.

If I were MAKING such a thing, I would target the grind to terminate at the spine - FFG - and just decide to be happy with the resulting geometry, since it would be a decent and attractive compromise. Would have to do a bunch of measurements and trig to compare the angles exactly, and that's just not a thing worth doing, IMO.

Make it 3/16 (.188) and I'm in.
Cha-ching, we have a winner. Definitely. I've always pondered a BK2 with a BK10 thickness.

Pretty much. I always thought the 2 would sell better thinner. Or, perhaps the draw to the 2, is the thickness.

I don't have either the RSK, or the 2 yet..... But I Do think the Thickness is interesting...
As soon as a 10-12" Becker .250" thick Spearpoint blade comes out, I'll Definitely buy the 2 as a comparison, and companionโ€ฆ. haha

I think the thickness of the 2 is a large part of the appeal. It exudes toughness and its ability to outlive its owner. Not to mention, the thickness makes it very useful as a splitting wedge.

One?
You can't have just one Beck3er so this is either trick or bogus question right from jump.
But, I'll pay.

Alone, on a deserted island (not a "desert island" ... darned few of those) I would have to go with the BK9, with micarta scales and a fancy sheath, of course. ;)

One?
You can't have just one Beck3er so this is either trick or bogus question right from jump.
But, I'll pay.

Alone, on a deserted island (not a "desert island" ... darned few of those) I would have to go with the BK9, with micarta scales and a fancy sheath, of course. ;)

Well, that begs the question... what becker would you want to have on a desert island? Assuming you can only have one.

Will there be coconuts? I would think it hard to find a desert island because water and deserts don't usually go steady.
But, if there are coconuts, then I'll have the RBK.
Let's say there is only breadfruit. I think the BK9 would do nicely.
However, since it may be the proverbial 'desert island', it may only be that cactus apples grow there. In that case, I'll say the BK6, because it would outreach most others to keep me out of the prickles.
Why does it have to be just one?? o_O

Back