Microtech Strange problem with my Socom Elite

I do wonder why it seems to be only showing up on the newer model Socoms with the external lockbar attachment.

Has anybody seen these marks on other aluminum bodied MicroTechs?

I had never seen these tooling marks on any of MT’s older aluminum body offerings. In the end all that really counts is if the integrity of the knife is somehow affected. I’m tempted to believe it won’t be or else why would MT be putting these out.

I do wonder why it seems to be only showing up on the newer model Socoms with the external lockbar attachment.

I had never seen these tooling marks on any of MT’s older aluminum body offerings. In the end all that really counts is if the integrity of the knife is somehow affected. I’m tempted to believe it won’t be or else why would MT be putting these out.

I’ve had quite a few Ultratechs come and go (new ones) and never had this issue.

Structural integrity aside, the collectors market is big so these issues shouldn’t be happening. I personally don’t care about these marks, but people like me are the minority.

I’ve had quite a few Ultratechs come and go (new ones) and never had this issue.

Structural integrity aside, the collectors market is big so these issues shouldn’t be happening. I personally don’t care about these marks, but people like me are the minority.

Its the wabi sabi edition.

Extra special edition. Each is 1 of a kind.

Better than the Zombietech anway.

I don't care what you are going to be doing with this knife.
There is NO excuse for this. Not even on a $20. Knife. That is unbelievable!!

I don't think it's wether or not people can live with or without it. (We all have our quirks, likes and dislikes). We all have issues but the bottom line is this should not be on a knife that costs this much. For them to chalk it up to the "machining process" is crap.

Email from Microtech:
In response to you complaining about something we don't care to do anything to fix a rep will be showing up to kick you in the nuts. Enjoy out shitty machining.:D:p:D

Tl;Dr this is crap. Sand the marks off.

I picked this up new from PVK.Vegas about two months ago. It has ridden in my pocket for edc ever since. Has never seen hard use. Noticed today that there are cracks in the aluminum handle at the lock bar locations. I have never seen anything like this. I'll send it in to Microtech for warranty, but bummed I will be without it for a while. Anyone else ever see anything like this?
I just got one of the new 25th anniversary Socom’s and it as well has the same issue. Mine was produced during the tail end of 2019 so don't know if this issue will change with the new 2020 run. I also have some weird and ugly tool/CNC markings around the lock bar screw hump anchor point. I'll include photos of all this below.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an issue at all.
You can see the exact same "problem" here on my SOCOM Elite :
NTvZwx3.jpg

But when you look from another perspective you see these are not cracks at all. That's just the edges of the two bumps in the handle.

uc7ezvX.jpg

It seems to only be on the newer ones. I've seen these marks on +$1000.00 Marfione Custom Socom Elites (carbon fibre and aluminium handles).

As has already been mentioned, these marks, while only cosmetic, simply shouldn't exist. Microtech seem to have a decent reputation for quality, so this issue and their explanation for it seems quite out of character.

Are there other types I’m not aware of? Because I’m pretty sure every Socom Elite has its lockbar attached that way.

Personally, I just put the knife right to work and ignored the machining marks. I didn’t buy it to admire and post filtered Instagram pics. However, I can see how this would be an issue for some.
Paying that much for a knife I think tooling marks or cracks are NOT negotiable!! That knife should be PERFECT!

I just got one of the new 25th anniversary Socom’s and it as well has the same issue. Mine was produced during the tail end of 2019 so don't know if this issue will change with the new 2020 run. I also have some weird and ugly tool/CNC markings around the lock bar screw hump anchor point. I'll include photos of all this below.
Tiny photos!

Think all you want. 8 months later and I still enjoy that knife;)

I get it. But still- A $300 knife shouldn’t have machine marks like that. It’s looks terrible. Maybe it’s the aluminum? I’m not an expert.
I wanted a SOCOM, but I personally couldn’t look at that every day knowing I paid for it and got that. But that is me.

Both of my new ones look that way, and it doesn't bother me. The marks don't impact function and they're barely noticeable. I'm amazed that anyone cares that much about the little marks, but each is entitled to their own opinion.

Microtech could redo the tooling path to not have those marks, but there's no real reason to.

The new edition Socom is one of the best knives to come out in that size range recently. Maybe overall the best. My newest 3/2020 production date model has what looks like this. I'd have bust out the loupe to know for sure. I don't know of a knife that compares in the price range though. The construction and grind quality are just top notch. These things have a been an absolute treat and have completely outclassed the "hard use tactical" market since coming back out with the newest revisions.

Both of my new ones look that way, and it doesn't bother me. The marks don't impact function and they're barely noticeable. I'm amazed that anyone cares that much about the little marks, but each is entitled to their own opinion.

Microtech could redo the tooling path to not have those marks, but there's no real reason to.

How long would you have to think about choosing between the ZT 0308 and the Microtech Socom if you were grabbing one knife to leave the house with for a while?

My knife OCD would highlight those marks every time I pulled it out of my pocket. It would bother me to no end! Just like deep carry clips that don’t have counter sunk clip screws! It’s a deal breaker for me!

From what I understand the auto version doesn’t have those marks. I am searching for one to buy now.

Well maybe mine is not as bad as OP, if it even does exist at all. This is a 3/2020 production.

Attachments

• B6484860-65BB-4A31-AF25-C3B2A1315725.jpeg
    B6484860-65BB-4A31-AF25-C3B2A1315725.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
Back