Microtech Strange problem with my Socom Elite

I don’t know which is worse, the theory that it’s just crappy machining work or that the handles are cast aluminum. If you hold yourself out as an elite machining company, and charge a premium price, you need to back it up.
It's just some machining marks. The insinuation that the handles are cast is laughably misguided.

I find the attention to detail on these fantastic with every small detail given thought.
Sorry, but to my eye, that just isn't the case. Only my opinion of course. If that is how they want to make them and that is the way people like and buy them, more power to all involved. Just doesn't look right to me.

I guess different batches are machined differently...
I have to put mine under certain angle and light, blow up the picture, while fiddling with the shadows, in order to even see a hint of the machining.
My naked eye would never notice it...

ZHwH9H.jpg

The tool that cuts that radius is either programmed incorrectly with bad geometry on the solid model, or the dimensions of the radius cutter are not properly input. Or its possible the fixture they use to hold the knife for the radius process is not accurately holding the knife in the work position.

Typically you'll want to do as much as you can in one setup to avoid having to use a fixture to profile match a contour, but profile matching and cutting rads in a fixture are done accurately all the time.

Shrug.

Sorry, but to my eye, that just isn't the case. Only my opinion of course. If that is how they want to make them and that is the way people like and buy them, more power to all involved. Just doesn't look right to me.
In my opinion, the Socom is a user, not a showpiece that sits in a drawer. Every functional aspect of mine is flawless (perfect lockup with no rock/blade play, drop shut action, perfectly dialed in detent, excellent thumb studs, threaded steel inserts for all screws, even and precise grind with hair popping sharpness from the factory, etc.). That is what I mean by attention to detail. It’s a functional piece, and I don’t want anyone reading to get the wrong idea. If you’re buying it as a user, minute cosmetic flaws that truly are barely noticeable shouldn’t discourage anyone from buying one.

In my opinion, the Socom is a user, not a showpiece that sits in a drawer. Every functional aspect of mine is flawless (perfect lockup with no rock/blade play, drop shut action, perfectly dialed in detent, excellent thumb studs, threaded steel inserts for all screws, even and precise grind with hair popping sharpness from the factory, etc.). That is what I mean by attention to detail. It’s a functional piece, and I don’t want anyone reading to get the wrong idea. If you’re buying it as a user, minute cosmetic flaws that truly are barely noticeable shouldn’t discourage anyone from buying one.
Okay, but I think most would agree at that price, if one perceives the OP's issue as a cosmetic flaw, it shouldn't be there. If one doesn't care about what a knife looks like, there are less expensive options that will operate functionally just as good. Only my opinion of course.

Back