Strider Alternative

What’s out there that’s American made that has a reputation as a “hard use knife” with the cutting performance of a Strider? It’s my understanding they run about .0015 behind the edge. What other brands out there are getting this kind of cutting performance with a thick blade stock?

I’m not looking to turn this into a Strider bashing thread. I’m just looking for recommendations.
I'd look at a Hinderer xm-18 fatty or xm-24, a Microtech socom elite, or a Medford of some kind.
How’s the cutting ability of the fatty?

Not going to slice like a thin ffg Spyderco, but still a very usable knife. I had mine reground by Josh at REK. Works better now, but really just depends what you're after.
a8G8k5p_d.jpg

firefighterguy firefighterguy

Medford knives without a doubt. Hard working honest people. Ive met Greg 3x iirc and that company has come a long way. Very transparent company, just watch the youtube channel lol.

I have no doubt he will get my $$ some day as his knives are becoming more refined.

Greg and his crew sure know how to grind a blade.

Then you have the usual suspects

CRK, RHK, TSF, Grayman etc.

Last edited:
Carothers Performance Knives and SurviveKnives. I've had two of Nathan's smaller fixed blades, and about twelve Survive Knives over the years. Pretty hard to beat either one, IMO.
Nathan Carothers is VERY high up on the list of VERY DESIRABLE; without a doubt. Beautiful knives.
Survive Knives have gone out of favor due to their failure to be able to produce and ship their knives within a reasonable time period. BUT...that does NOT lessen the value of their blades.
I still have a GSO 3.5 and a GSO 4.1 that are beyond reproach...and you can find them on the Exchange, reasonably priced, quite often...

IMO the SnG will always be one of the greats. It has so much going for it. My recommendations would be one or all
three of CRK Lg. Inkosi, Spyderco Paramilitary 2, &/or a Hinderer XM-18 Non-Flipper Slicer grind.

Another option. Zero Tolerance are made in the USA. As one of the cheaper alternatives in this thread, plenty of room in the budget for a regrind from Josh at Razors Edge. You could get the exact edge/angles you want.

Just not sure if they are thick enough for you.

Last edited:
What’s out there that’s American made that has a reputation as a “hard use knife” with the cutting performance of a Strider? It’s my understanding they run about .0015 behind the edge. What other brands out there are getting this kind of cutting performance with a thick blade stock?
Hinderer or Busse

Carothers Performance Knives and SurviveKnives. I've had two of Nathan's smaller fixed blades, and about twelve Survive Knives over the years. Pretty hard to beat either one, IMO.
Nathan Carothers is VERY high up on the list of VERY DESIRABLE; without a doubt. Beautiful knives.
Survive Knives have gone out of favor due to their failure to be able to produce and ship their knives within a reasonable time period. BUT...that does NOT lessen the value of their blades.
I still have a GSO 3.5 and a GSO 4.1 that are beyond reproach...and you can find them on the Exchange, reasonably priced, quite often...

Candidly, I would not buy a S?K product for the same reason I don't buy Striders.

Are you looking for a fixed or a folder? How thick do you want the blade to be?

Back