Strider Alternative

Presuming we are talking about the folders-there really is no substitute. It is a knife with unique qualities(including being very light for the size and blade thickness), I haven't found elsewhere-especially the SnG(IMO). There are however many overbuilt knives that can be used as an alternative. My favorite would be the hinderer non flipper slicer. There are also Zero's and some older buck/striders. If I wanted a Strider, I would buy a Strider. However due to their limited production these days, they have become very costly for what they are.

firefighterguy firefighterguy

Medford knives without a doubt. Hard working honest people. Ive met Greg 3x iirc and that company has come a long way. Very transparent company, just watch the youtube channel lol.

I have no doubt he will get my $$ some day as his knives are becoming more refined.

Greg and his crew sure know how to grind a blade.

Then you have the usual suspects

CRK, RHK, TSF, Grayman etc.

Medford is very appealing. The price is tough to swallow. The Colonial G looks like a Strider clone but $600 for d2 I couldn’t do. The midi marauder seems the most appealing.

Carothers Performance Knives and SurviveKnives. I've had two of Nathan's smaller fixed blades, and about twelve Survive Knives over the years. Pretty hard to beat either one, IMO.
Nathan Carothers is VERY high up on the list of VERY DESIRABLE; without a doubt. Beautiful knives.
Survive Knives have gone out of favor due to their failure to be able to produce and ship their knives within a reasonable time period. BUT...that does NOT lessen the value of their blades.
I still have a GSO 3.5 and a GSO 4.1 that are beyond reproach...and you can find them on the Exchange, reasonably priced, quite often...

If I ever go a fixed blade it’ll be a CPK for sure!

Another option. Zero Tolerance are made in the USA. As one of the cheaper alternatives in this thread, plenty of room in the budget for a regrind from Josh at Razors Edge. You could get the exact edge/angles you want.

Just not sure if they are thick enough for you.

Can’t do ZT. Had a horrible experience with them. I do like the idea of a cheaper knife and getting it reground.

Spyderco Shaman

This would be a prime candidate for a regrind. After using a CRK I find the Spyderco ffg to have a inferior cutting performance.

Are you looking for a fixed or a folder? How thick do you want the blade to be?

Folder. No specifics, minimum of maybe .125 or so. The main thing I’m looking for is a knife that maintains a good thickness out to the tip that is also ground thin at the edge. Probably more like .140 or higher.

Presuming we are talking about the folders-there really is no substitute. It is a knife with unique qualities(including being very light for the size and blade thickness), I haven't found elsewhere-especially the SnG(IMO). There are however many overbuilt knives that can be used as an alternative. My favorite would be the hinderer non flipper slicer. There are also Zero's and some older buck/striders. If I wanted a Strider, I would buy a Strider. However due to their limited production these days, they have become very costly for what they are.

There’s the cost and then the controversy surround the name. Between the two I think I’m better off finding a different brand.

For big, overbuilt framelocks, id go for hinderer or medford. I like the hinderer designs better.

These two seem to be the leaders. I’m thinking either a hinderer xm-18 non flipper or the Medford midi marauder.

Last edited:
I should add that I currently carry a large Sebenza. I want to try another brand. I don’t use my knives as a pry bar but I want something that I can have a little more confidence in that my sebenza. Spyderco’s tips are to thin due to the ffg. I’m kinda searching for a unicorn. All the traits of an SNG but don’t want to buy a Strider.

I should add that I currently carry a large Sebenza. I want to try another brand. I don’t use my knives as a pry bar but I want something that I can have a little more confidence in that my sebenza. Spyderco’s tips are to thin due to the ffg. I’m kinda searching for a unicorn. All the traits of an SNG but don’t want to buy a Strider.
Microtech Socom or Hinderer w/ a spearpoint or slicer grind. If you want it thinner DLT has some nice "skinny" XM's atm.

Both the Striders and Hinderer XM's are considerably thicker than ,125". The SnG and 3.5" XM are something like .165" blade stock. The PT is .125 and the 3'XM is maybe .135"(if I remember correctly). 3/4 grind Striders and most XM's have robust tips. It's fun to try different stuff, but the CRK's are pretty good all around users and you likely could stop right there and not miss much.
Good luck on the search

I'd just buy a Cold Steel AD15 and call it a day, then. Or an AD10. They will stand up to absolutely anything that a Strider will, and their locks are better. Plus, LT is at least slightly less of a clown. :D

Either that, or do as the others have suggested and get either a Hinderer, or a Medford.

Emerson ? It should check all the boxes and again, plenty of room in the budget for a regrind.

I'd try Microtech Socom Elites. Very light for the size, thick blade stocks and good grinds behind the edge with good tips. Top notch F&F too. I've sold off all my xm's and CRKs since I started carrying them.

I'd just buy a Cold Steel AD15 and call it a day, then. Or an AD10. They will stand up to absolutely anything that a Strider will, and their locks are better. Plus, LT is at least slightly less of a clown. :D

Either that, or do as the others have suggested and get either a Hinderer, or a Medford.
Just throwing in my experience with AD-15’s

Cold Steel Flat Grind .028 BTE
Custom Flat Grind .014 BTE
Custom Hollow Grind .018 BTE
Obviously the custom’s cut better. The CS is still a great knife though.

And, FWIW, the CS AD-10 (hollow ground no longer available at retail) is 0.215 BTE. Not sure how the newer flat grinds compare.

Medford is very appealing. The price is tough to swallow. The Colonial G looks like a Strider clone but $600 for d2 I couldn’t do. The midi marauder seems the most appealing.

If I ever go a fixed blade it’ll be a CPK for sure!

Can’t do ZT. Had a horrible experience with them. I do like the idea of a cheaper knife and getting it reground.

This would be a prime candidate for a regrind. After using a CRK I find the Spyderco ffg to have a inferior cutting performance.

Folder. No specifics, minimum of maybe .125 or so. The main thing I’m looking for is a knife that maintains a good thickness out to the tip that is also ground thin at the edge. Probably more like .140 or higher.

There’s the cost and then the controversy surround the name. Between the two I think I’m better off finding a different brand.

These two seem to be the leaders. I’m thinking either a hinderer xm-18 non flipper or the Medford midi marauder.
I dont like overbuilt folders, and none of mine go over $250, but after sharpening a medford praetorian g and a hinderer bowie, i hated the medford and nearly fell in love with the hinderer.

I believe the CRK Umnumzaan is .140 thick. I've stabbed mine into coconuts and pried them open with no problem

Screenshot_20190809-151145__01__01.jpg

Back