Strider CR, DETA/L-Max Axe, K5 Tactical, RMJ Crash Axe, & the Swamprat Crash Axe

(Wanted to inc. the ATC's Lagana, Sibert Co...(can't spell won't try) and Genesis (I think that's what it's called with it's delrin & poly carbonate handles).

These non-wood-handled axes/tomahawks are my passion. Bad enough I'm living in Malaysia with our bloody paranoid over-zealous customs dept, none of the above companies supply or distribute to my country. This means i'm the saddest axe/tomahawk/blade nut in this forum but that's not what this thread's about.

If you had to choose 2 axes/tomahawks and a possible 1 more as backup stored in a warzone area which is a city beside the forest (meaning wood choppin and Break+entering). Choose tropical or snowy terrain. This is for a lengthy period of time so guns (bullets will run out) isn't a good long term option so don't quote any. Knives can be used to replace axes/tomahawks but same rule (2 + 1 in storage).

Choose based on
1) maintenance,
2) durability,
3) effectiveness of achieving it's design purpose i.e. wood choppin or B+Enterin,
4) lastly and quite important, long term killing ability (related to it's weight, design and ur own style of combat. Weight will affect ur stamina but improve killing ability).

This is my first post so I'll query based on possible drawback on ur choices.
PS: Wood handle options are welcome however please figure it into the long term maintenance.
PS PS: Anyone with any of the above to sell with "special instructions" regarding delivery to Malaysia please see the "Wanted to buy : Knives" section!!!

Another thing, since the DETA Axe and the L-max can interchange axe heads, they can count as ONE axe/tomahawk but please say which ur putting as default option since it's stupid to keep changing heads in the middle of combat for example.

Not too fair but that's what i'll do. :)

another budding axe nut tagging along to see what comes up...

I have the SRKW crash axe, buts its my only axe and I have not pushed it much, so cannot properly review/compare at this point, but will weigh in a bit... I would love to see what others have to say...

-SRKW Crash axe... great strength, takes a great edge.. handy tool, pry handle is nice, Would be nice to have a longer shaft imo (no jokes)

Personal reviews not based on owing...
-Strider, great steel, I dislike the chisel grind, as its harder to repair and sharpen in the field imo, plus i hear this is not a sharp tool, so limited tasks. Strider is becoming questionable these days imo.
-ATC Lagana, - looking sweet to me, and likely my next purchase.... I want to try the round synthetic shaft for grip preference... lack of pry bar kinda irks me, but for the price, looks like an impressive piece... and for only double $$ (yet still 1/2 the price of strider) you can get the Camanche with prybar/full tang... and the little triangle on the head between blades is nice, but changes carry options a bit.

For me
#1 ATC VTAC well worth the money very tuff.
#2 ATC Sibert Comanche

I guess that in the long term the Strider Cr with its slightly rounded edge and overall thicker dimension will last longer than the Crash-Rat with it's sharp edge. The Strider will have less chipping or rounded edge even if breaking through really hard stuff. One thread shows the SRKW with a chipped edge when used against a toilet bowl. I guess the Strider CR would fare better however SRKW's s77 vs Strider's s7 steel I wonder...

Dusty One ur an ATC fan. How well the VTAC and/or Comanche performs as a breaching tool? I believe the Comanche is a better killing tool compared with the VTAC due to it's reach and weight but the US soldiers choose the VTAC... why? I trust the judgement of many experianced soldiers as shown in other thread photos.

Anyone for the DETA or L-Max axes? I thought they were a good choice with good steel and lightweight design as well as having a spike...

(I'm trying to purchase a Strider CR for use in my concrete factory. Will be used for actual everyday hacking of concrete. Will post the wear and tear condition as it progresses going against G45 - G80 concrete will be interesting)

Personally, i would think pound for pound the S77 of the SRKW should be much stronger than the S7 of the Strider... a difference of 4 hrs heat treatment, versus 40hrs including cryo. Remember, the CR is much more blade like, and made to do many small things as well, not just breaking glass and concrete.. and as for the CA (edit, not CR strider, but CA Crash Axe srkw) that bent a bit on the toilet,... toilets are about the hardest medium you can bash... I am sure if the Strider had a spike of the same dimensions, it would be more vulnerable imo...

anyhow, I found a VTAC for 109 shipped, by pp, so its on the way...
Yeah baby...

Actually it is the Swamprat Crash Axe which suffered against the toilet bowl. I agree with ur point givin that ceramics are used to sharpen blades by virtue of its high hardness.

Looking (top view) at the shape of the blades of both Strider CR and Swamprat Crash axe the CR has a triangular shape with a rounded edge and the Swamprat Crash Axe is sharpened S7 plate treated to become S77. I'll hazard a guess that against said toilet (identical toilet with identical strike pattern) the Strider CR will not suffer so much damage due to it's dimension even with inferior steel.

On another note if Strider could manufacture SHARP blade, HAMMER and maybe a chisel option that is compatible which could be interchanged just by unscrewing the existing attachments... then the CR will maybe be the Ultimate Axe/Tomahawk available in the market! Maybe have a talk with BUSSE to use their INFI steel to make me extremely estatic!!!

109 shipped for a VTAC... I envy u mate. I paid 150 for a 26" ASP baton to my country... I had to rename it as "steel short walking-stick" in order to get through my bloody paranoid customs...

The VTAC is light tough and quick.
The Comanche would be one heck of a breaching tool there isnt much it wouldnt wrip appart !!

Including myself that makes

2 votes = ATC's VTAC
2 votes = ATC's Sibert Comanche (one of my vote)
2 votes = Strider CR (one of my vote)
1 vote = Swamprat Crash Rat
1 vote = DETA/L-Max Axe (one of my vote)

I'll try to keep count cause I want to know which is the best to buy cause I'm poor.

Would like to own every one so i'll be king of the mall ninjas!

Busse's Megalodon made with INFI steel (heard it was 3/8 inch thick) is a real contender. Wasn't for the weight issue i'll replace the Comanche.

I expect the Megalodon would set you back at least $1000 if you can find one.

I've had a VTAC, Sibert com, LMAX and Crash Rat and i currently have a custom LMAX with S30V head and an Ansö S30V hawk. The Ansö is my favourite as far as hawks go. When it comes to utility work i choose my Gränsfors Wildlife hatchet every time.

Here are my current hawks:

axes.jpg

Why u customised to a S30V steel instead of L7? I'm thinking of purchasing either a DETA or L-Max. Which is generally better?

Also anyone ever thought the hole in the DETA/L-Max axes reduces the strength of the axes considerably in terms of lateral load capability?

I'm planning to disassemble the DETA/L-Max axe and deliver then separately so the bloody paranoid customs of my country (Malaysia) can't confiscate them. I'll also rename them from AXE to "breaching tool" or "concrete crusher apparatus". Wish me luck.

I didn't choose the steel but i'm happy with it. S7 have quite poor edge retention and is only a better choice when chopping really hard materials (which i almost never do). I'm not familiar with L7.

I like the design of the DETA but it looks to be more of a weapon than a tool.

I don't think the hole changes much. If something gives i'm guessing it'll be the handle.

I think you are right, the handle seem to be the weakest part given that it only has two shear pins or the aluminum handle being weakest at the thinner part where the axe is.

Sorry, S7 not L7... My mistake. Again true about the edge retention of the S7 being not necessary in hard choppin condition.

Love ur ANSO, looks to be more sturdier than the K5 Tactical axe or the RMJ axe. 0.25" thick S30V makes it expensive. I would love to have one.

ANSO = 1 vote
DETA = 2 votes

The handle on the Ansö is more comfortable than any other hawk handle i know and the balance is perfect.

As far as i know the value isn't that high... $500-ish maybe. I think it's very reasonable for a hand made axe, especially from such a talented maker as Jens Ansö.

Figured as much. Googled but to no avail. Still haven't figured out how to get an axe past the bloody paranoid customs of my country. With the Strider CR i'm planning to break it apart and separately deliver it under the name of "concrete crushing teeth".

If I can't find a supplier then I'll try the next option of break-apart axes which is either the DETA axe or the L-Max axe but I'm getting a headache. What can I rename the axe head part so it does not scream "sharp thing made for hurting"? It does not look like a concrete crusher? Any help forumites?

yeah, I checked. in it it stated no "kapak kecil" of anykind. "Kapak kecil" means small axe. There is also another statement on big axes, knives and etc and so on and so forth...

Back