Strider CR, DETA/L-Max Axe, K5 Tactical, RMJ Crash Axe, & the Swamprat Crash Axe

I like the ATC VTAC best, hands down...
However, I am not too crazy about the sheath...

2nd choice would be another ATC VTAC...

Back-up would be another...

I also have the 'Cold Steel' Vietnam Tomahawk, and I like it almost as much...
But your 'long term storage' caveat made me exclude it from being a choice here...

Dusty One ur an ATC fan. How well the VTAC and/or Comanche performs as a breaching tool? I believe the Comanche is a better killing tool compared with the VTAC due to it's reach and weight but the US soldiers choose the VTAC... why? I trust the judgement of many experianced soldiers as shown in other thread photos.

You may have read this before, but let me quote Andy Prisco as to the reason the VTAC's are desired...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"I was reviewing our site statistics and saw that some folks came to visit our site from the links to it, posted earlier in this thread.

After reading it, let me share a few thoughts that may clarify the Tomahawk's utility to the Soldier.

It almost goes without saying that the Tomahawk as a weapon and tool, arguably helped settle our country during the expansion. While the trusty sidekick of every Frontiersman, it also became one of the most commonly traded items between Native Americans and the Pioneers, the latter bringing steel to the hickory instead of stone...which most Native Americans were still using back-in-the-day. Why? Because it was valuable to anyone who had one...valuable in its utility, its versatility, and its capability.

Fast-forward to today, the Army is purchasing our original Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk (VTAC) for inclusion to the "Modular Entry Tool Set". The set includes a sledge, bolt cutters, Hooligan, and our VTAC. This wasn't because they just thought the item was cool and they had money to burn. It was an uphill fight to get the item even considered...for almost three years. But it was added to the kit because in and of itself, it can do the work of all the tools in the kit when the task provides for it...in an item that's nearly 1 lb. I'm not suggesting that the VTAC replaces the Hooligan...but in the third world, how many Hooligans are used? That was the Army's aim by the "modular"-ness of the tool set.

The VTAC is manufacutured to never fail the Soldier, period. The spike tomahawk head design of Peter LaGana extends far beyond the utility of a simple hammer poll hatchet. It's small, light, and fast. It's five sharp cutting edges allow it to cut, chop, rip, rake, rent, penetrate, and devastate...the Stryker boys have begun calling it the "anti-Leatherman", because it takes stuff apart instead of putting it together.

The synthetic handle is precision mated to the head so well, we like to say that whatever it took to loosen or break it probably killed you first.

AARs we have on file include its tremendous usefulness in non-explosive breeching, brake-and-rake, extraction, egress, CQB, clearing shooting lanes, clearing cable, removing obstacles, venting fuel drums, opening crates, building shelters...the list goes on. It was tested at Aberdeen, NTC, and JRTC at length.

It's not for everybody...but for those who don't want or need to hump the breaching kit, it performs an incredible array of tasks and each of them, well.

It does throw incredibly well too...but more importantly, because anything can be thrown, it endures the rigors of throwing that nearly every knife and hatchet hasn't over the years. Our VTAC endured literally thousands of throws (mostly bad ones ;) ) at Best Ranger 2002 in front of cameras and spectators...and not one failed.

I could go on for hours, because I love talking about Tomahawks...but I just wanted to add a few thoughts that might explain why many of our Soldiers today consider it to be such a valuable tool."

Thanks Glock17JHP. Showed why the Vietnam hawks were highly regarded in the past. Basically the VTAC was ahead of its time. Solidly built with many practical (not necessarily battle) functions it became an important part of modern warfare. Until today the basic design is practically unchanged and so effective was it that there were no reasons for change. That about sums it rite?

Some have said that a hammer poll would be more practical and safer (compared to a spike coming at your face). However assuming you needed a hammer some have said that using the VTAC and striking at the side it becomes an effective hammer. All in all if not primarily concerned with battle of heavy chopping then the spike isn't so bad an option after all.

Answer to my own question on why more soldiers choose the VTAC instead of the more lethal Sibert comanche is the multiple function aspect of the VTAC.

The Busse Megalodon is full custom? Why is it taking so long to mass produce? I think the amount of interest it generated fo the past 2 years is good enough publicity...

Even though i can't buy it i'm waiting for someone to review it in its full splendor. Like the fella Noss4 who tested all the kinves and posted them in Youtube.

The Busse Megalodon is full custom? Why is it taking so long to mass produce? I think the amount of interest it generated fo the past 2 years is good enough publicity...

Even though i can't buy it i'm waiting for someone to review it in its full splendor. Like the fella Noss4 who tested all the kinves and posted them in Youtube.

Not producing enough to satisfy customers seem to be the chosen path of Busse Combat. It seems to work as it keeps a loyal group of followers always wanting more.

Just a few comments.
I'd expect a Megalodon to run about $5500: $500 to hire a guy to find one for you, $2000 for the Megalodon, and $3000 to get the guy to actually sell it to you. But you'd be able to put your kids through college for what it'll be worth in 15 years...

The heat treat of SRKW SR77 (S7) v. Strider S-7 will actually be much more negligeable than edge geometry of the compared axes. Both of these companies exploit S-7 to its maximum, with SRKW having an advantage that is so marginal it would be very difficult to even come up with a situation in which it would matter. It would be like saying a knife has an advantage because it can cut 1000 1" hemp ropes versus 996. I've had S-7 heat treated by Justin Gingrich that cut through automotive body steel with little effect on edge sharpness, and he told me he just triple quenched it in his garage or shop or something. Yeah, a scientific heat treat would have been marginally better, but it was Justin's knowledgeable edge geometry that did most of the work holding up against steel. The true advantage between these two tools lies in the mind of the user relative to his or her environment and needs.

I would actually compare the Strider CR with hawks like Anso's and ATC Viet Nam which are relatively light Close Quarters weapons that can be used as destructive devices, and put the L-Max and K5 into a category of destructive device that may be used as a weapon. The SRKW can be considered to fit in the gap between these categories, doing a lot of things very well, but not doing any one thing better than one of the more purpose specific hawks.

Vtac: perhaps the best weapon against person or animal, but don't expect great edge performance or penetration against harder targets (comparatively speaking, of course. If you want better edge performance, get ready to spend a lot of money and look around for older ATCs that were made using 0-1 tool steel (such as the Hayes Hawk, drooooool)).
Anso: perhaps the best tool for realistic stuff, best compromise between weapon weight and destructive capacity for a reasonable environment. Should hold it's edge the longest against softer targets, may perform better than the Vtac against harder targets, but don't expect S30V to hold up like S-7 against really hard targets.
Strider Bad Axe: if you like the Anso, but see yourself encountering a less reasonable environment which demands S-7 that will withstand more abuse to the edge than S30V (although you may have to work out some edge geometry issues to really see that advantage).
SRKW Crash Axe: it's what I carry. I consider it the best compromise of steel, size, and edge geometry for my needs.
RMJ: the Talon and Kestrel are superb weapons, second to the Vtac in lightness but far exceeding it in destructive capacity. If you like the Vtac, but want a metal handle without (significant) additional weight this is your tool. The RMJ carry sheaths are superb. These are the only RMJ products I can commment on. I consider the RMJ Talon to be The Benchmark in tactical tomahawks, devastating yet refined.
K-5: IMO this is more destructive device than weapon, but its design lends itself well to CQB, especially if you hit the gym often.
L-Max/Strider CR: perhaps the best destructive devices. I would also not want to get hit in the head with this, even with a helmet on. The Strider should be expected to perform slightly better than the Lmax, and I'd venture that it will be more comfortable to use for heavy work, but you pay for that advantage and that's to be expected.

There isn't a tool/weapon here that can't considered the "BEST" by someone, it's just a matter of personal need and environment.

In the case of the Strider Crash Axe i think it's blunt with a significantly larger angle (with a rounded edge) with a shitload of steel behind the edge compared to the SRKW Crash Axe which is kinda sheet like.

True I would say both have it's merits however I would personally say something like one would cut 1000 1" hemp versus the other making a hole in 1000 cement brick walls/doors etc. For the name "Crash Axe" the SRKW doesn't really do extremely well in crushing like the Strider CR is a shitty cutter but it crushes like a dream. Mainly i'm concerned about the durability under "crushing" use.

Saying that I wouldn't really know how to compare both of the axes... If I used the "striking of hard surface" situation then the SRKW (compared to Strider CR) would lose out with no question because of edge geometry and so on. In a thread somewhere in Blade forum someone attacked a defenseless toilet bowl (hard stuff them bowls) and the SRKW crash rat experienced significant edge chipping and rolling on the first strike. True noone has tested the Strider CR but I'm planning to once I manage to find someone who can help me with smuggling it to Malaysia. I'm planning to buy two. One a keeper and one a basher and in my precast concrete plant I shall do my daily exercise with it...

Frankly speaking I kinda dislike the somewhat rounded handles of the VTAC. Unless they made it slightly more oval I feel that this may be it's weak point. I would prefer the Sibert Comanche as a human/animal killer cause of it's length and weight although among all the Busse Megalodon pretty much stands out as the top killer in my opinion.

PS: You serious about the 5500 bucks for a Megalodon!!! I love Busse but that will be grounds for divorce if my wife found out i spent that much on an axe (not juct any axe I know...)!

PS: You serious about the 5500 bucks for a Megalodon!!! I love Busse but that will be grounds for divorce if my wife found out i spent that much on an axe (not juct any axe I know...)!

Maybe a bit exaggerated, but I really doubt anyone who actually has one would sell the thing, so it would take a whole lot of incentive to get them to give it up. I'm pretty sure there's less than 10 in existence, maybe as few as 2 or 3.

Also, I've edited my above comments for accuracy, having previously made comments on the CR that were meant for the Bad Axe. I think you'll find them more in line with your own experiences. Have a great day!

You give me two owners addresses and I'll "make it happen" and split the booty if you get my drift :) Just kidding. Chances are I'll be mincemeat from the Megalodon.

Anyone ever tried to make it themselves? Even without INFI maybe with S7 or other steels? Is that against USA laws? I'm living in Malaysia you see.

You give me two owners addresses and I'll "make it happen" and split the booty if you get my drift :) Just kidding. Chances are I'll be mincemeat from the Megalodon.

Anyone ever tried to make it themselves? Even without INFI maybe with S7 or other steels? Is that against USA laws? I'm living in Malaysia you see.

That would be a pretty bad idea, just from a moralistic/code-of-honor standpoint, and in the US it would certainly be a bad idea from a legal standpoint as Jerry is a strong advocate of his own copyrights and trademarks and such.

That said, there are many design influences included in the Megalodon that precede Busse, and if some of these were to be included in a full on custom hawk of your own design, along with others that take the end product away from being a copy of the Megalodon, you should be ok.

Justin Gingrich got express permission from Jerry several years ago to make two hawks for me and a work acquaintance. There are several obvious Busse design influences, but the end product is very much independent of the Megalodon. The same can be said of the Swamp Rat Crash Axe in that there are several similarities, but nowhere near enough to be a Megalodon copy.

If you really want something that is Megalodon inspired but altered to your personal specifications I'd recommend contacting Justin Gingrich at Ranger Knives. Together you can work out a design that suits your needs but does not infringe on other designs. He'll keep you out of trouble, while getting you the best product money can buy. Expect over $300, but probably less than $500.

Thanks a bunch JWBirch! It won't be fair to Busse to do something like that no matter how expensive is his stuff. If I can't afford it then perhaps we were not meant to be together or I'll make searching in EBay my regular routine :)

Back