Strider Experts: I have some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most recent Strider I now own does have slight lock rock. When I check for up and down play the pressure placed on the blade makes
the lockbar flex just enough that it causes a little wiggle. Its not that big of a deal but It does bug me a little. I just really like the Strider
SNG design. Theres really not another knife like it on the market. Maybe Strider should supply bigger bladestops so when your knife starts to
have up and down play you can fix it yourself.

For those that really want to know about liner and framelock philosophy I advise getting hold of Bob Terzulas book on the Tactical Folder. He discusses in great detail what should be done in order for a good reliable lock. To sum up: There are many variations in the recipe, but the core ingredients have to be kept.

Strider chose for a smaller contact surface, whereas others might chose for larger contact surface such as Chris Reeve. Both are correct as they do not go beyond the limitations of the lock, IE to little or too much. Angle of engagement, materials used are probably some the most important aspects, to much angle and the lock will slip, to little the lock will jam and can also slip. Get the book, read, it is worth it IMO if you are serious about trying to understand a lock that some see as "simple" but is actual far from it to do it properly.

I am reminded of the old saying, "buy the gun, not the story." In my opinion, based on owning four of them, Striders are worth buying and worthy performers, wholly apart from the internet hype. If you disagree, no worries. ;)

By the way, on the washers, I don't think there's "design," I think there's mostly happenstance. The washers on my Sebenzas don't rotate...it doesn't really prove much either way if they do or don't. If one side of a Strider rotates and the other doesn't, it's either coincidence or at most the difference between the Ti and G10 sides as far as friction on the bronze washer goes. There are no issues that are going to arise as a result. :thumbup:

...And this seems to be the general consensus overall on the subject of Striders and that's why I decided to try one. Like snowreaper1, my lock-rock issue could be described the same way, although it seemed to "seat" itself and doesn't do it anymore, it still bugged me a little. I still would have loved the knife overall if the issue still continued because it seemed to seat itself, as described, when using it and applying pressure to the blade.

I'm very happy to own one and I've learned a lot from this thread alone. Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback and experiences. I didn't mean to start a food fight and I hope this doesn't deter anyone from buying a Strider. Strider and CRK are two totally different knife designs from companies with different philosophies so I'm not sure why they get compared so much. Price?

I love them both but I wouldn't use my Sebenza to pry a car door open, as mentioned, and I wouldn't use my SNG to cut vegetables for dinner. I'm sure that Mick and Co would take care of any knife that had blade play so in the unlikely event that someone gets one, they're taken care of. That and knowing that Striders hold their resale value almost as good as CRK and Mercedes Benz also helped me make the decision to buy.

Cheers Everyone!

I came to my Striders (yes, plural now) about the same way. Realized I had a Buck trainer that was the same size and general ergos as an SnG, gave it some T&E and liked it, took a chance on a real SnG and really liked it. Still do. I have an SMF and SnG with S110V blades, an SnG and a PT. All were more or less "perfect" out of the bag, and the two S110V knives were literally custom quality.

...And this seems to be the general consensus overall on the subject of Striders and that's why I decided to try one. Like snowreaper1, my lock-rock issue could be described the same way, although it seemed to "seat" itself and doesn't do it anymore, it still bugged me a little. I still would have loved the knife overall if the issue still continued because it seemed to seat itself, as described, when using it and applying pressure to the blade.

I'm very happy to own one and I've learned a lot from this thread alone. Thanks to everyone for sharing your feedback and experiences. I didn't mean to start a food fight and I hope this doesn't deter anyone from buying a Strider. Strider and CRK are two totally different knife designs from companies with different philosophies so I'm not sure why they get compared so much. Price?

I love them both but I wouldn't use my Sebenza to pry a car door open, as mentioned, and I wouldn't use my SNG to cut vegetables for dinner. I'm sure that Mick and Co would take care of any knife that had blade play so in the unlikely event that someone gets one, they're taken care of. That and knowing that Striders hold their resale value almost as good as CRK and Mercedes Benz also helped me make the decision to buy.

Cheers Everyone!

Yes, I must get one of the SNG's with S110V. From what I've read about it and simply comparing it's composition to S90V and others on the steel chart in the Spydie catalog, it must be one of the most amazing knife steels known of. Some day.

I came to my Striders (yes, plural now) about the same way. Realized I had a Buck trainer that was the same size and general ergos as an SnG, gave it some T&E and liked it, took a chance on a real SnG and really liked it. Still do. I have an SMF and SnG with S110V blades, an SnG and a PT. All were more or less "perfect" out of the bag, and the two S110V knives were literally custom quality.

Yes, I must get one of the SNG's with S110V. From what I've read about it and simply comparing it's composition to S90V and others on the steel chart in the Spydie catalog, it must be one of the most amazing knife steels known of. Some day.
Yep, I was lucky enough to have snagged a couple of those -- one that's part of my EDC rotation, one as a backup -- and the steel is really phenomenal stuff. Definitely snag one if it crosses your path. :thumbup:

Yep, I was lucky enough to have snagged a couple of those -- one that's part of my EDC rotation, one as a backup -- and the steel is really phenomenal stuff. Definitely snag one if it crosses your path. :thumbup:

Pics or it never happened. (mandatory - sorry, but still need em) :)

IIRC, there were ~30-40 each of the SnG and SMF knives in S110V...

Pics or it never happened. (mandatory - sorry, but still need em) :)
Here you go. :p

33e1de13.jpg

Here you go. :p

33e1de13.jpg

Now that's a pair of Striders neuron! :thumbup: :cool:

What kind of bevel does that bottom one have? It looks like about a 20* inclusive! So School me on what the exact designations are for those knives like SMF, SNG, GG, CC, etc. and blade steels of both are the same?

"As for vertical blade play, none of the ones I've owned have had that out of the box baggie, and only one developed it over time. I sent that one in to Strider, and it came back with a rock-solid lockup."

How did you send it in to Strider? I have a SNG with a broken blade and have left 3 messages on their answering machine with no reply. They state they want contact before sending it in but I can't get a response!

Now that's a pair of Striders neuron! :thumbup: :cool:

What kind of bevel does that bottom one have? It looks like about a 20* inclusive! So School me on what the exact designations are for those knives like SMF, SNG, GG, CC, etc. and blade steels of both are the same?
Thanks! :D

The bottom one has been rebeveled to 30° inclusive on my Edge Pro. The reason so much metal had to be removed near the tip is because the blade is so thick toward the tip. As for the designations and steels, the two knives are identical: they're regular ("lego") SnGs with black oxide coated, 3/4 hollow ground CPM-S110V blades. (The bottom one looks a bit bigger due to the camera angle, and the color looks a bit darker due to the lighting and to the fact that it's the one I carry/use. That light gray G-10, which is also what Spyderco uses on the recent CTS-20CP Para 2 sprint, darkens noticeably with use because it shows dirt and such relatively easily.)

Last edited:
"As for vertical blade play, none of the ones I've owned have had that out of the box baggie, and only one developed it over time. I sent that one in to Strider, and it came back with a rock-solid lockup."

How did you send it in to Strider? I have a SNG with a broken blade and have left 3 messages on their answering machine with no reply. They state they want contact before sending it in but I can't get a response!
I posted in your other thread earlier today, but all I did was send it in to Strider and shoot Josh an email to let him know it was on its way. I got it back less than a month later with the aforementioned rock-solid lockup.

In case you don't already have it, I've PMed you Strider's address (to send knives to), as well as email addresses for Josh and others.

Neuron, those Gray SNG's are awesome!

I'm not even gonna mention how much I saw one of them going for on shmebay recently. If you ever want to sell one for what you paid, keep me in mind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back