Strider WB First Impressions.

Well.

This is a First Impressions. I will post more after I get done eviscerating cars with Allen Blade.

This is an image of the two Strider WB's, the one I handled was the model with cord wrapped handle.
modelwb.jpg

This knife is a prybar. One quarter inch thick with short grinds, and lots of untouched stock. Personally I figure that if one wants a prybar, go to your local store and buy one for $5.

The cord wrap is not comfortable, in the limited time I held it, no more than 10 minutes, the ridge of the cord wrap was seriously irritating my hand.

The cord wrap is epoxied on. If you want to clean your knife, because you got blood in the fiber of the cord, tough luck. Many cord wrapped handles are soaked in epoxy, to seal the cord from gunk, not this one. The lanyard cord is epoxied on. Personally I think every knife should have a lanyard hole, but there are some activities where I prefer to not use a lanyard, tough luck with this knife.

The guard lugs are not substantial enough and not hand friendly. They would seem to act as speed-ramps not guards, look at the angle of the ramp formed. And you may have steel worker hands, but I don't, and all machismo aside, these guards were digging in and all I was doing was grip changes. In comparison to the handle of my TOPS Talonite Shadow Hunter the WB handle is a torture device.

I imagine that I would prefer there G-10 handles much more.

Priced at $325

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye, Cd'A ID, USA mdpoff@hotmail.com

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal, 210 B.C.

[This message has been edited by Marion David Poff (edited 02-09-2000).]

I've been carrying a WB as a primary tactical knife since 93. You may not need a prybar, but most of the LE/Military community uses their knives as a tool, and prybar is a frequent one. The cord wrap is very comfortable and secure to me, and it is a unique design. It is easily replaced, and can be unwrapped for emergency use. Keep in mind Striders are designed by and totally influenced by real deal military and LE spec. ops people and have been kind of a secret till only recently. Most of the operators using them are fanatical about them because they perform beyond all expectations in the field, and they are not trying to be good looking or stylish. I personally have had nothing but superb luck with them. They are not my favorite pieces of fine cutlery, but they are the tools that I stake my life on every day. Have fun with the car.

nyeti, how do you easily replace the cord if it is epoxied on?

Marion, what kinds of work were you doing when you found the handle uncomfortable?

-Cliff

I was doing choppping motions in the air.

I also stabbed it into wood at 1/4 power.

------------------
Thank you,

hey marion,
i have a mh w/ cordwrap handle, and there
is no epoxy on my knife. i could simply
untie it and unwrap the handle. i agree that
the handle isn't the most comfortable, but
when you buy a strider your buying a tool,
not a fine cutting impliment. they also
offer several different grind options,
including a flat grind. they'll make just
about anything you want. i'm thinking of
ordering a mh with a flat grind, slightly
different guard style, and g10 handle. but
i do like the standard mh i have. it's a
tool for tough jobs
smile.gif

and hey, if you break it, they'll replace it.
even if you cut it in half. just don't expect more than one replacement for a cut in half knife
wink.gif

-matt

------------------
------------------------
-matt

"you see that mountain over there? near as i can figure, that's where we are!"

nyeti-
It is easily replaced, and can be unwrapped for emergency use

The paracord on the one I handled was bonded on, that does not qualify as easily replaceable to me. I never want to have to replace the handle on my knife, I should never have that need. And so what if they will service your knife, I never want to have to go without my tool, so that means I want features that don't need replaced or factory work to maintain to my standards. That cord wrapped handle is a sanitation nightmare, and sure I could use bleach, but am I gonna have time to bleach my knife when all hell has broke loose? Or am I gonna have bleach out in the woods with me? And sanitation is important to me, dying of some gut gunk is not on my itinerary.

Keep in mind Striders are designed by and totally influenced by real deal military and LE spec. ops people and have been kind of a secret till only recently.

How does that apply? Are "real deal military and LE spec. ops people" somehow remarkably different from every other tool user?

And most real deal military guys I know, and I know combat troops from all four services, know very little about knives, they don't automatically become doctors of metallurgy and tool use by passing BUDS, Pathfinder School, or being accepted into the SAS.

fanatical about them because they perform beyond all expectations in the field

Then they must not have very high epectations of the handles. The usefulness of a knife is based on using it, and when are they using these knives? Being a LEO, how often during the average week do you use your knife and what do you use it for? The SEAL I know like the Glock dagger, why... Because it is great for digging individual field latrines.

most of the LE/Military community uses their knives as a tool, and prybar is a frequent one.

How frequent? When was the last time it was necessary that your knife be used as a prybar, and what would the frequency of that kind of necessity be?

they are not trying to be good looking or stylish

I don't care about either of those things, I just want function, and looking through the Strider catalog I have noticed that not one of the knives I saw had a sufficient guard to keep one from doing serious damage to one's own hands. You may be able to use your Strider to fight you way to a rifle, but if your trigger finger is back with the bad guys, well, that's a problem.

Now don't get me wrong, they are probably a decent tool, but I have seen nothing in their line-up that fires me up, and I am fired up by function and performance.

mdavis-
i agree that the handle isn't the most comfortable, but when you buy a strider your buying a tool, not a fine cutting impliment

I see no reason why a tool cannot have a comfortable handle. I know of knives where you can have your cake and eat it too. What about a Mad Dog handle, bullet proof and comfortable, best of both worlds.

they'll make just about anything you want.

Cool.

------------------
Thank you,

Talonite Info

Actually I agree with some of your points- Many operators are not metallurgists-thats why they tend to abuse the crap out of things. So you know a SEAL that carries a Glock knife. Well they are considered totally disposable blades, I have one too. Not all operators are into superior gear, but of the ones who are on the west coast you will probably find with a Strider. I have used my Strider to pry open lock boxes containing dope, punched it into open door jambs to prevent them from being closed, I have pried open windows and doors to gain access to building interiors, and my partner actually shoved one through a Master lock and just kept twisting until the lock broke. The appeal of these things are that I don't always have crowbars, bolt cutters, and other more appropriate tools available to me, so my knife gets a work out. I have never had a problem with my hand slipping down the blade, and I often will use the lanyard to prevent this if it looks like I could have a problem. Grip comfort is a very personal issue. I have been accused by other "legends" of the knife world of liking things that aren't comfortable-I have one of the most extensive collections of Strider, Emerson and Mad Dog customs around, and I like them. I have had Brends, Hammonds, and other fine blades that didn't fit my hands the way I like, its just a personal thing. I have had a couple of Allen Blades knives as well, I liked them, but they went to a buddy who couldn't live without them. Its all just picking the right tool for you. Most people who like thin, very sharp blades don't like most of the blades I like. Thats fine, and I don't harbor any grief about it. The bruisers tend to work for me in the urban enviornment where I work. All I can say is that my WB has served me very well and has become my first line gear, which I don't see changing anytime soon.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Ah, agreement is good. Have a ball on those cars. And for heavens sake please be careful, that kind of stuff can be addictive.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

I spoke to Strider about an hour ago and they said they got a good laugh at the epoxy cord. You must have gotten the knife second hand from someone who did that to the cord or the dealer you got it from did it because Strider says they have never epoxied their cord. From what I've heard and seen of them they make a great product that is hard as nails tough. Maybe you don't need it but the people the knives are made for do.

yeah, we can't all be wrong!
can we?
wink.gif

strider's great.
i like mine.
you can get em to grind a blade out of
1/8" stock on there smaller models.
so i guess you could get a fine cutting
tool if you wanted. just make sure you
get the g10 handles, that way you don't
have to worry about gut gunk. how often
do you run into gut gunk, and where?
i'd stop going there if i was you
wink.gif

give a call and i'm sure they'd help
you build the right knife for you.
like nyeti said , it's all preference.
good luck with you strider and that
car roof!!!
-matt

------------------
------------------------
-matt

"you see that mountain over there? near as i can figure, that's where we are!"

Rob01-
they got a good laugh at the epoxy cord.

Good to hear, humour is damn hard to find...

Strider says they have never epoxied their cord.

Excellent, that does not make the handle any more comfortable, but that's a individual thing.

Maybe you don't need it but the people the knives are made for do.

Need what?

mdavis-
strider's great. i like mine.

Excellent, in the end that is what matters.

you can get em to grind a blade out of 1/8" stock on there smaller models. so i guess you could get a fine cutting tool if you wanted.

If I liked the style of their knives that would be the way to go.

just make sure you get the g10 handles, that way you don't have to worry about gut gunk. how often do you run into gut gunk, and where? i'd stop going there if i was you

That was a joke
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
right??

give a call and i'm sure they'd help you build the right knife for you.

I know of a number of options that would cost me less. But of course then I would not get the "Oooooooooo, that's a Strider, isn't it."

like nyeti said , it's all preference.

Amen

good luck with you strider and that car roof!!!

The roof ain't looking forward to it.......
smile.gif

------------------
Thank you,

Talonite Information and Resource Page, including other cobalt materials.

Actually not haveing a hard epoxy probably would make the handle more comfortable. You would get a little spring feel from the cord and that would be better than hard epoxy. What I meant when I said "maybe you didn't need it" was that maybe you didn't need the high strength and performance that comes from the knife of that thickness and size and maybe you will never need the length of paracord for an emergency but some people do. Maybe you should just sell the knife and buy something else if you're that unhappy with it. I'm sure you can find someone to take it especially with the 6 month wait for knives from the Strider Factory.

Rob01-
Actually not haveing a hard epoxy probably would make the handle more comfortable. You would get a little spring feel from the cord and that would be better than hard epoxy.

The cord is not epoxied all over, simply a layer that binds the cord to the handle. But it does not matter, that is a non-standard feature, thus an anomaly and to be dismissed. The cord is so tight on the model I held that there is no spring or give.

What I meant when I said "maybe you didn't need it" was that maybe you didn't need the high strength and performance that comes from the knife of that thickness and size

Thickness and size do not equate to high strength and performance. And I do have knives of high strength and performance, though I count none of them as prybars, but as cutting tools. And I was not commenting on it's performance characteristics, that is yet to come.

and maybe you will never need the length of paracord for an emergency but some people do.

I keep my paracord separate, 50' in one hip kit, 100' in another hip kit, and 100' in my ruck, along with the other cord that is always in some pocket for some reason, I carry lots of it. But, I don't care for it on my knife, because if I need it, I now have a knife with a sub-standard handle, and that won't do when the chips are down.

Maybe you should just sell the knife and buy something else if you're that unhappy with it.

I am not unhappy with it, because it is not mine, I don't believe I would spend $325 on a knife like that.

I'm sure you can find someone to take it especially with the 6 month wait for knives from the Strider Factory.

I am interpretting your reference to their wait as a measure of success and therefore a measure of their quality. While I do not doubt the quality of Strider Knives, look at how many burgers McDonald's has sold, does that mean that McDonald's burgers are the best thing to eat?

------------------
Thank you,

McDonalds hamburgers rule!As far as the strider is concerned,I don't know one way or the other.I haven't been able to get my grubby paws on one.I like the way they look though.Marion you seem unusually biased against this particular knife.I read most of your posts and this seems somewhat out of character for you.Not a judgement,only a casual observation with the disclaimer that I could be wrong.
troy

I supposed you MIGHT say the review was "biased".....opinions are, usually, biased. No one approaches any situation without some baggage based on previous experience and personal taste.
But I think MDP came clean with his personal likes and dislikes in relation to this kind of knife. Then he backed it up with detailed analysis of his "complaints".
I don't think we can ask for more than that.
Frankly, I don't think I would have liked the handle, either......I have this bias against knives with cord handles.

------------------
BrianWE

I don't want to be right all the time......I just want US to be right more often.

Brian I thought the review was fine.I was trying to be diplomatic in saying that I detected an unusual bias against this knife.What I really meant to express was an opinion that Poff might have an underlying reason for disliking the Strider.Once again ,I add my disclaimer that I very well could be wrong.I know the guy only from his posts and I read many of them and I think this one was a little rough edged.Why?Dunno.I cant really put my finger on it.Its just a feeling.Maybe it's because all of the special forces hype that surrounds this company.I can't really say what someone elses motivation is.I will say that I have the utmost respect for David and his integrity and this post isn't intended to call that into question.I simply wonder how the knife can be used in a cutting contest when simply waving it around irritates his hand?
troy

Ben,

I have had strong opinions before, I have held back in the past though, because I did not want to hurt anyone's feelings or make enemies unnecessarily.

And yes, I seem to have a particular dislike for this knife, maybe I have had it up to there with all the hype and it is coming out with this knife....

You are very perceptive. Thank you for pointing this out.

If I still have problems with the handles I will wear gloves.

I think another aspect of my edge is the way that honest comments are treated by some. A very good friend of mine has been savaged by those who want one to make do with fuzzy logic, soft brained comments and thoughts, and when real data, real information is brought to the table, or assumptions are questioned, all of a sudden the facade is gone. Now nobody really did that here, but....

------------------
Thank you,

Back