Strongest folder and most heavy duty fixed blade?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jay Hiewd, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Jay Hiewd

Jay Hiewd

Jan 15, 2021
    Who makes the strongest folder and fixed camping survival knife? I'm looking into ESEE.

2. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    *grabs popcorn*

3. Silvanus

Silvanus Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2012
    I’d say that ideally you don’t want a .25” thick folder and a .25” thick fixed blade for outdoor “survival”. I think that a person would be best served with a small and thin folder or fixed blade and a larger knife like an ESEE Junglas-II. This allows more versatility and dexterity when performing finer tasks like food prep, skinning of small game, and other light utility tasks. Then the bigger knife is reserved for larger tasks like hacking/wood processing.

But to answer your question, I suppose one of the strongest folder might be something like the the Extrema Ratio RAO or one of the thick Tri-ad lock folders from Cold Steel and for fixed maybe something from TOPS Knives, Becker, or ESEE with a .25” spine or thicker.

4. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    What's your budget?

Trailer_Ape and EngrSorenson like this.
  5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy

Dec 19, 2020
    For a fixed blade, British MOD Survival knife, of course. LMAO! It's called "the Prybar with an edge". But really, there are lots of choices. As far as Folders, it's only the strongest in comparison to othe Folders. Anything with a joint is a compromise at best. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

RB

6. Jay Hiewd

Jay Hiewd

Jan 15, 2021
    Unlimited budget.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  7. killgar

killgar

Sep 24, 2002
    The "strongest" knife isn't necessarily the most practical knife. It depends on what you want to use the knife for.

I suppose if someone wants to hammer their knife through steel cable or use it as a prybar then having the "strongest" knife possible would make sense. But if a person wants to be able to cut a lot of different materials effectively then the "strongest" knife likely won't be the best choice.

Are you asking for a knife recommendation or is this some kind of fantasy/theoretical topic?

Hal likes this.
  8. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    That’s a bold statement lol

Other than “strong” and “heavy duty”, I don’t know what you’re looking for (materials, lock type, etc...), but based on those two I’d probably go with the CS 4max and an ESEE 5

9. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Depends on what you mean by “strong”.

If you mean thick blades and unlikely to break (and truly do have that unlimited budget) maybe a Medford for the folder and a Busse of some type for the fixed blade.

highestpoint and Lee D like this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Cold Steel 4 Max

Cold Steel Warcraft .

At least that I can afford ! ;)

The Hawk likes this.
  11. 6_String_Jams

6_String_Jams

Oct 3, 2014
    Not sure about the "strongest" folder, but my PM2 is pretty darn strong.

For a fixie, my Bark River Bravo 1 is about as good as it gets in my opinion!

12. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Strongest Folder:

IMO, the Extrema Ratio RAO or RAO II is the strongest folder ever made.

See: Blade Forum - Extrema Ratio RAO II Review

And see this too:

Always wanted to buy one but it's expensive and there are a lot of fakes out there but it's still on my buy list if I can find a "real one" for the "right price."

Strongest Fixed Blade:

Who knows?

Many candidates and depends a lot on its planned use but for camp/survival I'd grab a Glock 78 or 81 (one one of each) because they're cheap, durable, easy to sharpen and versatile.

With the Extrema Ratio RAO or RAO II, a Glock 78 or 81 and a Swiss Army Knife and/or a Gerber Multi-tool, you should pretty much have everything covered that might come up in the field. ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  13. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Strong doesn't mean thick and heavy and unwieldy. It also doesn't mean it has to be expensive.
    This knife for example has been used repeatedly to baton hundreds of wood over the last 5 years and is still going strong. It's EDC sized with 4oz and has 3.5mm blade stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Kabancheck

Kabancheck

Aug 11, 2018
    Cold Steel for folders (SR-1, 4-Max, Pocket Bushman etc)
    Busse for fixed almost any model
    IMO :)

15. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    Coating held up really well

insta9ves likes this.
  16. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Yup, Cold Steel's DLC coating is no joke. This knife chewed through so many knots and miles of cardboxes, the DLC coating is still shiny and mostly new.

[​IMG]

Sergeua likes this.
  17. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    must be nice...

Seriously though, I think having some idea of what your intention to use them for might give me a better idea of what to recommend. Everything comes at a trade off.

el gigantor likes this.
  18. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    The custom maker you hire to do so.

Psy223, Pilsner, Twindog and 2 others like this.
  19. Drop bear

Drop bear

May 3, 2020
    Cold steel sr1, Sr1 lite and the folding bushman. Are cheaper tank options.

I have the sr1 and the bushman. I really like sr1 I am not that big a fan of the bushman. But not for strength reasons. It is just a clunky knife to use.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    DocJD likes this.
  20. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Fixed blades? Probably something from CPK or Busse. Folding knives, probably the Cold Steel 4Max. There are plenty of niche, or limited run folding knives in 3V, but the issue will always be the pivot, so as long as the steel is at least decent it's really a secondary concern.

Plenty of guys making super big chunky folding knives (like Medford, as someone else mentioned), and others all the way into the custom scene where you will pay massive cash. Also, there are a TON of custom makers out there who make insane impossible to break fixed blades, but you will pay accordingly. If you don't like Busse or CPK because they don't weigh enough to suit you, there's always Miller Bros for example. LOL

If money is truly no object, then you should research makers and have someone make something for you to your exact specifications.