Strops

I've been researching a strop for some time now. I have a strop set for my Wicked Edge but they do not get used as much as I'd like. I don't always want to set up my WE to simply strop the edge. Therefore, I need a standalone strop.

I was saddened to see that the Stropman has passed away. He is no longer selling strops. Now that he is gone, I am back to square one with finding a strop. I saw some strops on Amazon but I'd like to buy one from a "small guy" and not Amazon.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Why not just use the strop from your sharpening system? I often use my lansky stones free hand.

DLT trading offers a nice horsehide strop that I like alot ... it's a generous size with a fairly stiff side and the other side slightly smoother and softer but not so soft it automatically convexes your edge. Might be worth looking at depending on what you want.

DLT trading offers a nice horsehide strop that I like alot ... it's a generous size with a fairly stiff side and the other side slightly smoother and softer but not so soft it automatically convexes your edge. Might be worth looking at depending on what you want.

Thanks for the heads up. I might grab one.

I've played around with a few different types of strops e.g. purchased leather strop loaded with green compound, homemade leather strops with various grits of diamond lapping paste purchased of Ebay (don't bother), leather belt for the 1x30 sander.

I have the CBN emulsion from Ken Schwarz (not cheap but I wanted to try it).

I strongly prefer balsa wood from Chefknivestogo.com loaded with diamond compound (also from Chefknivestogo.com). Pretty economical. You can get a 3x8 piece of balsa for $6 and the diamond compound for $5. I'd get two pieces of balsa and 1 micron and .5 micron syringes of diamond paste.

Last edited:
Yeah. I just looked and that is worth checking out ∆∆

DLT does not offer smooth leather.

You can make a strop out of nearly anything. Denim, various types of leather (tho mushy leather is not ideal), cardboard, paper on glass, different types of wood etc. Then get some compound, diamonds, or cbn for the type of steel you want to polish and your set.

I strongly prefer balsa wood from Chefknivestogo.com loaded with diamond compound (also from Chefknivestogo.com). Pretty economical. You can get a 3x8 piece of balsa for $6 and the diamond compound for $5. I'd get two pieces of balsa and 1 micron and .5 micron syringes of diamond paste.
This is the first user experience post that I've seen about the brand name compound. It's great to hear that it's working for you!

Just recently stepped into stropping with diamond paste. Recently acquired 2/ea pieces of 2x3x12" Basswood from Amazon then acquired the Paste from CKTG, the past that comes in the small jars. I got 3.0, 1.0 and .5 microns debating whether to get a syringe from DMT of the 6 micron. Only have used it once on a Delica but so far I am happy with the results...

Just recently stepped into stropping with diamond paste. Recently acquired 2/ea pieces of 2x3x12" Basswood from Amazon then acquired the Paste from CKTG, the past that comes in the small jars. I got 3.0, 1.0 and .5 microns debating whether to get a syringe from DMT of the 6 micron. Only have used it once on a Delica but so far I am happy with the results...

So no leather? Simply put the diamond paste on the basswood?

I'd recommend a 12" strop, suede, from Sharpening Supplies. You will greatly appreciate having such a long stropping stroke. You could literally even make your own. It's quite satisfying

I dunno what's local to you... I've gone to Tandy Leather and picked through their veg tanned scraps. I'm sure there are many places online.

I really like the Knives Plus Strop Block. I also use strips of cereal box cardboard (the thin dense stuff) clipped or taped to a plate of glass and then what ever compound you desire.

Where is a good place to buy leather if I were to make my own strop?
I would absolutely recommend Tandy. If you're in the US, you have a number of options on Amazon as well. But generally, Tandy should have what you need at any price point, and you can inspect all the pieces before you buy to make sure you get good stuff.

If you have a high budget: the 2"x50" straps are excellent. I have made many strops in 2, 2.5 and 3" widths and 2 inches not only covers your bases, but is actually my personal favorite width.

If you have a lower budget: they have scraps that are ridiculously cheap and you're guaranteed to score something good enough. Or you can pick up a cheap leather belt. It amazes me, the prices you Americans quote in your videos on YouTube about how much something cost; it's usually double or triple the price up here in Canada.

Speaking of tandy, don’t buy their premade strops. They’re nice for travel (if you cut down the handle), but you’re definitely better off making your own. (I thought I could be lazy, and boy did I learn my mistake quickly lol)

Last edited:
Back