1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Stuff you wouldn't think would dull a blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Groove, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Groove

Groove

May 3, 2011
    Today I'm splitting and sizing soft foam pipe insulation (much like neoprene) for a project at work. First up was my Kershaw Skyline FB, it sliced like a laser beam for about five or six (6ft long) slices, then started to grab and tear the foam. I grabbed my Spyderco Tenacious out of my bag and continued with about the same amount of slicing before the edge was grabbing and hard to work with. Has anyone else here worked with this type of foam insulation?

This got me to wondering. What other seemingly innocent materials will kill an edge so quickly?

Eric

2. JDunn709

JDunn709

Jan 7, 2009
    Fiberglass insulation is a monster, dish sponges with a 'scrubbing' side are as well.

3. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^they eat up edges^^

I was cuting some straps I thought the where plastic they turned out to steel...........

4. red05

red05

Aug 19, 2010
    I did the same thing last weekend. I insulated some pipes with the foam insulation and it dulled my knife bad. I was using an old tradtional Craftsman linerlock since I thought the thin blade would be just the thing. I would have never thought it would dull the carbon steel that bad.

5. Groove

Groove

May 3, 2011
    This stuff is making me wish I had my GEC Bullnose in O1, just to see how long it holds out.

6. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Old, shaggy, left-outdoors-too-long rope. It looks like normal rope, but it gets full of sand and grit that's really tough on your knives.

7. theizzardking

theizzardking

Dec 29, 2012
    the sheath itself.....glass filled polymers in the cheaper knife sheaths

8. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    Rocks.

They are murder on knife edges... ;)

9. theizzardking

theizzardking

Dec 29, 2012
    haha funny how they just jump up and bite the blade when your cutting something normal...

10. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Man, I wouldn't have expected that. :confused:

Good thing you warned me - I was about to go cut some rocks in my backyard when I read that. :thumbup:

11. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Carpet, I've seen carpet dull a circular sawblade usually you're lucky if ya a couple of slices in before it cuts like a buyer knife.

12. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    You're welcome Dorito Monk. I like to help out folks wherever I go... :D

On topic though, I've found cutting sandpaper quite damaging to knife edges; I was suprised at how quickly it can dull a sharp knife, especially coarser grit stuff.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  13. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    If find it helpful to cut from the backside of the paper. Seems to slightly minimize wear on the edge.

14. theizzardking

theizzardking

Dec 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

15. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    I do cut that way and have found the same to be true. :thumbup: Last stuff I cut was coarse grip tape; after that the knife edge looked like it had been thrown onto rocks, all chippy and rolly and such. Not pretty but easy to fix.

Yeh, practical as all get out but those are no fun to use... :D

16. cncpro11

cncpro11

May 28, 2012
    I dropped a knife in the dirt from about 3 feet and the cutting edge hit a small pebble.
    I could not believe how badly it damaged the blade.

17. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I love those things! :D

18. HoosierQ

HoosierQ

Feb 9, 2010
    I suspect one of two things is happening with that pipe foam. Either there is something in that that's actually abrasive or could it be that the material is adhereing to the edge of the knife? I haven't dealt with it so I cannot say.

Cutting rubber is very hard on the edge. Not only is the stuff tough but there are abrasive inclusions in the rubber. Same deal with cardboard. It's very unclean paper with soil (which is mostly extremely fine rock) and clay and other contaminates it there.

19. CDKJudoka

CDKJudoka

Jan 11, 2013
    Tomatoes!!! I have to sharpen my kitchen knives after cutting two of them. It doesn't help that I got cheesy steel in my kitchen that is probably made by cutting a tin can and shaping it like a knife.

20. neffarious

neffarious Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Carpet, though it's not unexpected, its still rough. It's nothing like human flesh which you can cut through for hours before it dulls a knife.