...Stunning Realization...Trident folder..."The One"...

batosai117

Gold Member
I just had a stunning realization, that my SOG Trident folder might just be one of several "The Ones" that I own. I may have said one or two negative things about it in another post, but that was because my Vulcan was brand new and that is all I could think about, do you blame me :eek:? It is a knife which covers all of the essentials. It is the black Tini coated partially serrated version. It has plenty of belly and Non-serrated blade edge for just about any slicing or "bushcrafting" purpose. It also has just enough serrations to use for cutting through some tougher things or even to use IF the straight edge happened to become too dull to cut with (highly unlikely). Not to mention the grove in the handle is a blessing from up above as well. The thumb ridge which goes up about a third of the way up the blade's spine helps a lot when doing fine cutting tasks such as bushcraft projects (making the trigger for a tree snare). The handle is great as well, not too thin and not too thick. The thickness of the blade is not a problem for me since I won't be stabbing anything with this knife, or with any other knife for that matter, just some old scouting habbits that I can't break :). The SAT helps out a lot, and looks great in front of the guys. The only thing I would like to see done to the trident is that the clip come down flat like on the Vulcan so it won't occasionally get caught up on the lip of my jeans. Other than that little tidbit it is an overall great knife to have in the outdoors or anywhere really. I almost forgot, the thumb ridge on the spine of the blade makes excellent sparks when used on a ferro rod.

How have your Tridents held up? Anybody else consider it to fall into the "The One" category for some of the same reasons? Let me know how it goes, J.

I've never considered it "The One" but now that I think about it's starting to come pretty close. I always seem to carry it over other knives, probably because the clip is so low and it's flatter than most of my other knives. The groove is also great around sheeple, "blade? what blade?" :D
The last time I went fishing I grabbed my Trident too. It's just a great knife for just about anything short of stabbing car hoods and chopping.

I started playing with my knife collection last night and realized that I don't alawys need a thick "super" knife to get the job done. I was having a hard time doing fine cutting tasks with my griptilian (surprised me too :eek:). I couldn't choke up on the blade with my thumb without it feeling uncomfortable, so I fumbled around and grabbed my trident. The extended thumb ridge on the spine made the fine tasks bearable and actually pleasant. Besides, the blade angle is great for keeping the edge sharp for a long time. This is probably one of my sharpest knives.

Glad to know I'm not the only one lol. I liked the knife quite a bit to begin with, but had a few gripes. Now that I've been using it longer I've completely fallen in love with it. It was supposed to be my "beat the crap out of it at work" knife, with my Flash II as my EDC. Now I don't even use the Flash. It just seems "not good enough" all of a sudden. My biggest complaint about the Trident was the sticky SAT, but now that it's broken in it's smooth as butter and actually feels better then the Flash. My "work" knife is actually my favorite knife right now, and I almost don't want to ever use it. Even though the Tanto blade is holding up better than my Flash did with the same amount of use. Ramming the thing through cardboard and slicing apart boxes and strapping hasn't even phased the blade in the slightest.

I feel sorry for your knife bullfrog, but I'm glad it's holding it's own in the war on the boxes :D.

LOL. Yeah it winds up having to go through a LOT of C-board. Hasn't phased it in the least. The edge is wicked ass sharp and doesn't have even the slightest imperfection yet.

Same thing happened to me frog! Origianlly I fumbled with a flash at an overpriced store and decided to get one off the bay. Well in the meantime I saw a trident. After looking it up I saw that it was used in "shooter" which is one of my FAVORITE movies. I had to have it. So far for me it has worked out great! I have used and abused it and it has held up great! It has a little side to side blade play but, hey its okay ITS A SOG! It aint no safe queen!

I would be a lot happier if it used the Arc Lock though. And had some steel liners. Other than that, it's a pretty cool knife. A lot easier to close than the Flash is.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the arc lock works with SAT. Though I don't really know exactly how th Arc-Lock works so I may be an idiot. But I agree if it had that It'd really rock. Steel liners aren't necessary IMO, but I'll admit I'd feel a bit better if it had them. Still, when I thought I had lost the thing for a while last night, I was totally freakin out about it.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the arc lock works with SAT. Though I don't really know exactly how th Arc-Lock works so I may be an idiot. But I agree if it had that It'd really rock. Steel liners aren't necessary IMO, but I'll admit I'd feel a bit better if it had them. Still, when I thought I had lost the thing for a while last night, I was totally freakin out about it.

I don't really care that much for the SAT. I mean, it's cool and all, the noise it makes, the speed and force it opens with, but the arc lock is stronger, easier to close, and comes out just as fast, if not faster.

Merry Christmas!!!

Hey Bullfrog, since your trident is the tanto version, is the blade somewhat thin like the regular trident? What I mean is that the steel is thick around the pivot area, and then becomes increasingly thin as the steel moves to the tip of the blade. Or, is the knife thick all the way through like the flash II was?

Yep. Just double checked. The tanto blade is just like the Flash in that is stays thick all the way down. In fact it's exactly as thick as the Flash. Are you saying that the other blade doesn't? No wonder I couldn't figure out why you kept complaining about the thickness.

Yep. Just double checked. The tanto blade is just like the Flash in that is stays thick all the way down. In fact it's exactly as thick as the Flash. Are you saying that the other blade doesn't? No wonder I couldn't figure out why you kept complaining about the thickness.

The blade on the regular trident is very thin, if I had a camera I'd show you. It starts thick at the pivot, but just half an inch later it becomes barely thicker than the blade angle itself. It is very thin, so now I know why you liked yours so much :eek:. If I would have known about the tanto being thick like the flash, I would have purchased that one a long time ago. That is why I used to be so hostile about the trident, and when you mentioned puncturing into boxes I was wondering, "how?" Thanks for clearing that up, and I'll be sure to put some cash aside for one of those.

The blade on the regular trident is very thin, if I had a camera I'd show you. It starts thick at the pivot, but just half an inch later it becomes barely thicker than the blade angle itself. It is very thin, so now I know why you liked yours so much :eek:. If I would have known about the tanto being thick like the flash, I would have purchased that one a long time ago. That is why I used to be so hostile about the trident, and when you mentioned puncturing into boxes I was wondering, "how?" Thanks for clearing that up, and I'll be sure to put some cash aside for one of those.

If memory serves, the Trident has the same thickness throughout the whole blade? Are you measuring the top false edge thing?

If I'm wrong, I guess I just remember it differently.

No, the whole blade gets thin, and especially the false edge. I'd rather have the spine of the blade be thick like the flash II, that's why I liked the flash so much. I went for a Trident because it is a little bit longer and looks really cool. If only I had known about the tanto version.:grumpy:

I love my Trident as well and is always in right hand pocket.
I love it for its weight, it versatility, and the of course the fact that i can have it out of my pocket and deployed in a matter of seconds.
My only issues so far, were finding the correct balance of blade wiggle and speed of deployment. Once that was found, i haven't looked back. Oh and stropping it with some green compound produces one scary sharp Trident.

Cheers!

Back