Sturdy red dot sight for shotgun.

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
I just purchased a Remington 870 Tactical model shotgun which has a Picatinny rail on the receiver and currently sports a ghost ring sight. I would like to mount a red dot sight (not a scope, I don't need magnification) on it but I'm stupid when it comes to optics on shotguns. I usually just use bead or rifle sights. I want a sight that is sturdy, shock proof, and relatively cheap <$200. Any suggestions?

the Vortex brand Sparc optic is what i went for when looking for a "cheap" red dot. it had good reviews on ar-15.com and some "torture" tests as well. guy froze it, threw it off and onto his roof, etc. i use it on a .22 but was reading tons of guys on there who used them on their ar's. costs around 200 and i am pleased with it. the reticle will tend to change shape a little with every shot but never gets distorted to the point that it no longer looks like a dot. good luck but i think it will be gross on a shotgun!

I've been reading a few reviews about the Truglo line of red dots and they are all favorable. I'm not worried about looks but rather function. I'm not hunting with it and it's strictly a self defense/End Of The World weapon.

the micro holographic display sights like the Docter, and JP micro that are mounted on recipricating pistol slides are probably sturdy enough, but are still battery powered, granted with a very long battery life....

I think I would look at something like a fiber optic/tritium combination like a Mepro or Trijicon Reflex....you would have to go to a used model to get one in your price range...

my game gun is a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a Ruger 10/22 sight milled into the rib and a Hi Viz Flashpoint triangular front sight ... the triangular light pipe gives a good sight picture and will shoot about 3" at 50yd...I find green is quicker to pick up

Bushnell TRS-25 should fill the bill.Buddy has one on semi auto Remington SG and it has held up admirably

I'm really wanting to mount a Burris FastFire II on my HD shotgun, but haven't found anyone with one yet to give a review.

Vortex sparc is the optic I use on my cz 858 and it works great. Wouldn't hesitate to grab one for another gun if it was needed.

I just purchased a Remington 870 Tactical model shotgun which has a Picatinny rail on the receiver and currently sports a ghost ring sight. I would like to mount a red dot sight (not a scope, I don't need magnification) on it but I'm stupid when it comes to optics on shotguns. I usually just use bead or rifle sights. I want a sight that is sturdy, shock proof, and relatively cheap <$200. Any suggestions?

i am curious on why you need a red dot for a spread gun?? that bad of an aim? or just for the cool factor? save your money and use the ghost ring. buck shots spreads bro. point and shoot.

i am curious on why you need a red dot for a spread gun?? that bad of an aim? or just for the cool factor? save your money and use the ghost ring. buck shots spreads bro. point and shoot.

I'm far sighted and can't focus too well on the ghost ring without squinting. I can place the red dot (which is easier for me to see) farther down the receiver eliminating some, but not all, of the blurriness I get with the ghost ring. I also plan to use this as my slug gun for deer (after plugging the magazine tube) and the red dot will come in handy for low light situations in the early morning and during crappy weather.

That's why. ;)

At typical indoor ranges buckshot does NOT spread very much. Maybe the size of your fist. Movies are fake as hell and believe it or not you DO actually have to aim a shotgun.

I would recomend a day glo bead. I would be leary of how long a budget red dot would last on a heavy recoiling shotgun. If it were semi-auto you'd prolly be fine but I wouldn't trust any electronics on a shotgun unless you buy quality. I had a day glo sight on my Winchester and it really works well in low light situations.

I can place the red dot (which is easier for me to see) farther down the receiver eliminating some, but not all, of the blurriness I get with the ghost ring.

Actually, good quality red dots holographically project their dot at the optical infinity, meaning you should be able to see the dot perfectly no matter how close or far the tube itself is from you. I'm incredibly nearsighted, and it stays equally out of focus at any distance, without glasses. Still a useful, and kind of a fun feature; that dot will always be 3 MOA or 5 or 8 or whatever, whether you cram your eye into it, or mount it 2 feet in front of the muzzle.

Anyway, I use a 1" Millett on my shotgun. The basic Milletts are reputed to be one of the most unkillable $50 red dots out there, and one of the few at any price that can stand up on something like a .454 Super Redhawk, or a .500 S&W, or something crazy. Probably a bit more recoil resistance than you need on a full-size shotgun, though.

serbuuu.jpg

I considered the Speed Bead but I want something easily removable.

I used the speed bead for 3 years on my entry Benelli M4 until they switched my position in the stack, awesome sight, very durable, but it isnt a quick removal and it doesnt return to zero when re-installed.

I'm far sighted and can't focus too well on the ghost ring without squinting. I can place the red dot (which is easier for me to see) farther down the receiver eliminating some, but not all, of the blurriness I get with the ghost ring. I also plan to use this as my slug gun for deer (after plugging the magazine tube) and the red dot will come in handy for low light situations in the early morning and during crappy weather.

That's why. ;)

At typical indoor ranges buckshot does NOT spread very much. Maybe the size of your fist. Movies are fake as hell and believe it or not you DO actually have to aim a shotgun.

I would recomend a day glo bead. I would be leary of how long a budget red dot would last on a heavy recoiling shotgun. If it were semi-auto you'd prolly be fine but I wouldn't trust any electronics on a shotgun unless you buy quality. I had a day glo sight on my Winchester and it really works well in low light situations.

Ken, i got ya bud

Shotgun, i am pretty familiar with shotguns and how they work. i was more or less regarding the fact that buckshot is pretty powerful and one shot remotely in the chest area will take down anyone. no need to aim exact if the poo hit the fan. i have shot enough large deer at close range with 00 buck to know this.

Yeah, people aren't deer, you aren't shooting in the woods with no one else around etc. This is a HD gun, not your daddies shotgun :).

Red dots are also much "faster" on target then irons, and have a lot of other advantages.

You could look at C-more Or OKO sights, they are good quality and just a tad above your price range. I've got an OKO on my sig 556 and it works quite well.

Last edited:
*Update*

After some time at the range with the shotgun over the past few months I have opted to forego adding an optic. The XS ghost ring sight system seems to be working pretty well for me. I was grouping slugs into 3inch circles at 25 yards. This was after I installed a Knoxx NRS stock and was able to adjust my length of pull. I just ordered and AmeriGlo Tritium front sight (RM-300) for it. It will stand out a little better.

Ken, curious to know your thoughts on the NRS. I was thinking about the Knox Spec Op (recoil reduction).

I put a cheapo BSA RD 30 on my 12 ga Rem 870. I was skeptical but it is supposed to handle the recoil of a shotgun. I ran around 50 rds with it no problems. Got the 870 mount from a friend and got the RD 30 in a swap long ago. I never would have considered this set-up but so far it works great.

Back