Summer KITH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in the day when a KITH was started we could not keep people away with a stick. Now it just seams to be a few people that end up fallowing through.
I've seen that to. My guess is that it was the financial crisis. Before that people enjoyed being in a KITH. Then money became tight.
I think it has to grow back again

Hey JT, that’s a pretty awesome idea. Incredibly generous too, if you want to do it I’m down. It’d be interesting to see what folks come up with!

This seems like fun.
Can i join? (if it's not a problem, i'm living in Europe)
I have 15n20 steel, and i like the idea.

The only problem is that shipping can sometimes be a hassle. There have been participants from Europe in the past.
It's OK from my side. I don't have problems shipping to US.
If it's not a problem to you, i'd like to join.

It's fine from this side of the pond, I've just heard stories that sometimes it takes weeks for a knife to cross the ocean.

This seems like fun.
Can i join? (if it's not a problem, i'm living in Europe)
I have 15n20 steel, and i like the idea.

If you are open to covering the difference from local to international shipping, it’s not an issue. Some makers will be able to afford it, others won’t.

You know if we wanted to do the KITH alittle diffrent I could possibly help. If everyone was to vote on a single design I can handle the blanks. I have tons of 15n20 in stock and would be happy toss use that. If you guys are going with kitchen knives it would be fun to have everyone start at the same point.

This is a good idea. Maybe four profiles to choose from? I have 15n20 here already, and have my heat treat dialed.

I also like JT's idea. Even though I had previously decided that I'd only do knives out of pattern welded steel from my forge, medical issues forced me to sell my house and move and currently don't have a forge set up, but I can set up my grinder pretty quickly. I can also send you some 15N20 I get from a local saw mill (well, not local anymore I guess...)

JT’s idea is a good one. It seems to be quite well received. I sent him a PM to ask about or suggest options/details. Let’s say for now the summer kith is a go, and a “official thread” will be posted when we get the details hammered out. We will be using 15n20, minimum Rc62.

I also like JT's idea. Even though I had previously decided that I'd only do knives out of pattern welded steel from my forge, medical issues forced me to sell my house and move and currently don't have a forge set up, but I can set up my grinder pretty quickly. I can also send you some 15N20 I get from a local saw mill (well, not local anymore I guess...)

Hope you are adapting well. I’m struggling with neuropathy which has slowed me down a lot. Especially with anything like hand finishing or hand forging.

Thanks Warren! As a physical therapist, I know that neuropathy can be quite disabling and painful.

To be honest, the most difficult part about my epilepsy (so far at least) has been giving up driving, and trying to convince folks that I'm safe to hire. I have no pain or any other physical disability, but since I was diagnosed 3 years ago, about 4-5X/year, I loose the ability to talk, write, or read temporarily (up to 10 minutes), and in the past 7 years, have lost consciousness 3 times and it's probable that the first one wasn't a seizure. So I'm only affected by this 0.01% of the year, but I can't drive, and it seems like nobody is willing to hire me, because I consistently get this comment at the end of my interviews in the past couple of years, "You're extremely qualified, give us a call when your seizures are under control." I guess everyone is afraid that I'm going to loose consciousness while working with someone and getting sued....

I hope you find the fix for your neuropathy, or at least have found an easy way to avoid exacerbating it.

Last edited:
JT is on board. We will pick a handful of profiles so there will be some choice. Either the template can be downloaded, or JT can profile and/or heat treat the blank for you. This is a good way to get more people involved, as kitchen knives can be quite intimidating. There will be western and Japanese profiles to pick from. Keep checking back.

Warren

I've been following this, and the recently created 2019 kith thread with much interest. I participated in a kith last year on another forum with a little variation to the process; everyone posted progress pics (some were actual full-blown, detailed construction wips). Not making that suggestion here, but it seemed to be a great success and was enjoyed by all.
Hope to see this one pick up a bit more traction, wouldn't mind participating but my shop is in turmoil again with another facelift and I doubt I could do a kith the proper justice it deserves with the only grinder I can currently get to being a HF 1x30.
I'll be following along and cheering youse guys on though!

I've been following this, and the recently created 2019 kith thread with much interest. I participated in a kith last year on another forum with a little variation to the process; everyone posted progress pics (some were actual full-blown, detailed construction wips). Not making that suggestion here, but it seemed to be a great success and was enjoyed by all.
Hope to see this one pick up a bit more traction, wouldn't mind participating but my shop is in turmoil again with another facelift and I doubt I could do a kith the proper justice it deserves with the only grinder I can currently get to being a HF 1x30.

Yes, progress pics are great!

If JT is doing profiles you could definitely still participate. If it was something that you really wanted to do if you want a simple grind you might be able to work out a fee to have him do the hogging. I could do a 40 grit finish and take it down to 0.0010 or so at the edge as well. You could really bring it the rest of the way in with sandpaper even. That only takes 10 minutes. The rest of it is the build. Let me know if you want to try. The more people in the more fun.

If JT is doing profiles you could definitely still participate. If it was something that you really wanted to do if you want a simple grind you might be able to work out a fee to have him do the hogging. I could do a 40 grit finish and take it down to 0.0010 or so at the edge as well. You could really bring it the rest of the way in with sandpaper even. That only takes 10 minutes. The rest of it is the build. Let me know if you want to try. The more people in the more fun.
Thanks StormW, that is a very kind and generous offer!
I just checked out the designs Warren posted on the 2019 KITH thread, I may be able to handle design #2 right now. Will see how much I can get done with the shop by the end of the upcoming weekend and post a yea or nay for participation sometime Sunday.

Thanks StormW, that is a very kind and generous offer!
I just checked out the designs Warren posted on the 2019 KITH thread, I may be able to handle design #2 right now. Will see how much I can get done with the shop by the end of the upcoming weekend and post a yea or nay for participation sometime Sunday.

#2 is my most popular knife. I make as many of those as all other knives combined. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back