1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Super Bowie, A True Workhorse!!

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Carney C, Jan 24, 2010.

1. clearytja

clearytja

Oct 17, 2002
    Walt... my "phone home" hands fit well. It's about time...gloves are a pain in the rump. Anyway just attached the Super to my baldric ( sharpshooter) and it is amazing. The weight just disappears.
    Walt ,,, I dont have a Tech bowie but I have a S1C and a Taiwan Trident. The agency is another breed. The handle tapers toward the guard ...my ET hands like it but if you are like my father (electrical lineman hands) you find it a little thin. It has a great feel and excellent fit and finish. I would say the laquer or leather seal is brighter on the ageny than on my S1C or the Super Bowie.

The blade is thin like a chef's knife....thats why they added that top swedge type thing. Without it the blade wouldn't be "high" enough and would lose strength. Somebody knew what they were doing. It came very sharp. Between the sharpness and the thinness of the blade it is a light saber. I cut up several cardboard boxes with it and it sliced through them without having to change angles. (You know... to keep the blade from binding)
    The sheath is a little lacking. Just like the Super Bowie and the S1C this is the one area I would like to SOG improve. Don't get me wrong I love leather its just the sheath is not as high as quality as the knives themselves. The main problem is even after the break-in one still has to be careful not to cut the sheath extracting or putting the knife back.
    Overall I love the agency and would recommend it as an alternative to the Sog Bowie. One that is a better slicer and longer.
    TC

2. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    If no one else appreciates these pics but me & clerytja, I had to post them. There was something about the way the red in the lighter knot stump made the Tini finish stand out beautifully! And Bro, I want the Agency too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rramjet

rramjet

Oct 2, 2009
    Nice shots, Carney. You have a good eye for photography, and that's coming from a graphic artist.

4. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    Wow!! I don't even know what to say? Thank you, & I feel honored!

5. JOHN O

JOHN O

Apr 15, 2009
    Great pics! I've been following this thread...................and your pics from the beginning. Excellent write up, its good to see others putting these knives to work as they were intended. I've been doing the same with a SOG Agency, although the cold weather and work has slowed me down a lot. I'll post a few of my Agency pics, you'll want to add one to the "Tool Box".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    Good looking blade Bro!

7. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    I hope to have some pics on this weekend of the Super Bowie, biting some wood! Thanks for all of the response brothers!

8. stevewest

stevewest

Nov 25, 2006
    I have lost interest in the SOG line, but have to say that I would give serious consideration to this one - very nice looking knife and a great review as well.

9. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    Thank you Brother! Can't lose with the Super bowie!

10. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    They need to make a Super Bowie with a 9inch blade...Classic Tigershark perhaps????

11. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Carney C -

Excellent pics and review!

I really like that blade!

Darn this forum is an expensive place for the weak lol.... :thumbup:

best regards -

mqqn

12. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    SUPER BOWIE!!
    Here we go friends! Took some pics in the woods yesterday. "knotty" wood doesn't even slow her down!! More coming, GOD Bless! (thanks for all the comments)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hammer27

Hammer27

Sep 17, 2006
    What do you think of the factory sheath? I saw you have a replacement.

16. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    With all due respect to SOG, & Chris, "Worthless!"
    Cheap leather, to small for blade, & you don't even get the chance to be concerned about the stitching coming loose because the blade cuts the leather so bad when sheathing & un-sheathing! So many people have compromised on there quality, which really hurts there business.
    Solution, contact Beo-wulf, at www.handsewnleather.com. Super thick durable vegetable tanned hand stitched sheaths, unbelievable in quality & price. Tell him Carney C sent you! GOD Bless

17. Sharp Knives 86

Sharp Knives 86

Oct 27, 2009
    I've been eyeing a SOG Super Bowie for awhile now and your and pics are pushing closer and closer to getting one the next time I have some spare cash.

18. olydemon

olydemon

Dec 29, 2009
    Same here, great thread and photos. I have cash burning a hole in my pocket. I dont know why I want one, or if I even need one, but Im really torn between what SOG fixed to get (I have a 50% coupon basically to order from SOG). Its between Agency, Super Bowie or Creed. Since I dont really have a need right now, its hard to say what would be the best one.

19. Carney C

Carney C

May 29, 2009
    Can't go wrong with the Super Bowie, Sharp & Oly!
    Would love the creed also, & the Agency, but the Agency would be a little to thin a Blade for me! GOD Bless!

20. New Pig Hunter

New Pig Hunter

Dec 4, 2002
    I think I said this before, but that doesn't make it any less true:

TOTALLY AWESOME !!

Cheers,

Carl