Surgery Today

I was hit by a roadside bomb in Baghdad A piece of shrapnel hit me in my abdomen and my groin. The piece in my abdomen was slowed down by my ammo pouch with 3 magazines and my OTV It still was able to penetrate just shy of 2 inches. The One went into my groin about 1.5 " to the left of my .....member and came to rest in the center of my thigh. It just missed the femoral artery and stayed there for 3 years. Then one day my thigh started to swell. I went in several times so the doctors could drain it with a giant syringe One occasion they drained about 1750 ml out! Almost a full 2 liter of "fluid".the doc sent me hOme with a "tick" .... Round suction bulb with a stint inserted into my leg I had to pour the contents into a measuring cup every morning and night to track the "discharge" . I caught the drain tube on the edge Of the couch and ripped the stint out..... At this point they decided to go in and get the shrapnel. But after cutting decided it was too deep and stopped the surgery but packed the cut with ribbon. That began to heal but my leg began swelling again and one day split open when I bent over. Wrapped a towel around my leg and drove 21 miles to a good hospital My local one only 2 miles away has a terrible reputation. This time the shrapnel moved far enough they were able to get it. After cleaning out the "cavity" in my thigh it left me with large tracts going north and south. They were unable to stitch any of it up and I had to wound vacuum for several weeks. Some people told me they thought it was a colostomy bag!!!! I will include more photos once my wife sees fit to pay the Internet bill and I can stop using my phone.......

Ouch on so many levels. Can't ever thank you enough for your service Bro!

I'm hoping the Gravelfinger can return to duty soon.

I well remember the saga of the leg! Brrr ... makes me glad most of my duty was done state-side. Well, except for all those trips.:grumpy:

Glad your on the mend Jason, and thank you again for your service !

lol, yoos got the scars to prove it

Gravelfingers after "Da Club" was taken off!!!

photolhjoh.jpg

Working on the Gravelgrip 5 days a week with the MOST dangerous Physical Therapist....a 115lb female. She makes me want to cry, but I need the work to grip my knives again!!!
photohugug.jpg

Jason - lets face it - you are just tougher than us (but not tougher than the physical therapist - they are tough and mean!) :thumbup:

Like a Timex watch - he just keeps on ticking

And I am proud to know ya!:D:thumbup:

"What in gods name is that??? "

Looks like more of the "road side" than of the bomb :)

Yup - he is that tough - and I know he gave more than he took!;):thumbup::D

I had the zig zag thingie going on a while back.
D76F7996-4FC9-484E-9905-1DF90D867C9C-1237-000000C77B808470.jpg

That is a wicked scar! What happened to yours? Doug, thanks for the vote of confidence! Bound to get a few more bumps and bruises Dealing with the social undesirables.

Nothing cool hapened to mine, just a tendon fascia disorder that caused my finger to not straighten out. Now I can get my car keys out of my pocket!

CIMG1485.jpg
[/QUOTE]

hope the misses isnt to thrown off by the use of her favourtie finger either

Back