Surprise News at Buck ?

Lesknife

Platinum Member
Here where I work we have a hard time finding new younger people who have the desire to accomplish a task or overcome adverse conditions like they expect someone else to do the hard or dirty work. They receive the training but then leave when expected to take on responsibility. One just left yesterday after 2 1/2 years to drive a truck. Working in a gas compression and pipeline business is a demanding kind of job with hazardous environment but that was explained when they signed on.

When I was young I wanted a challenge and to conquer because that’s where the money was and I wanted to build a reputation. I guess things have changed.

ohen cepel

Gold Member
Dave- Great to "see" you again!

Not sure how I feel about the S&W guy. The knives they stamp S&W on sure don't impress me in the last 20yrs or so. S&W has done alright in the last couple of years but nothing to blow my hair back really. So, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I did like that Buck has been a family owned/run business for generations. Sad to see that end.

Of course, I wish them the best! Hope he stays and does good things. A concerning part of his "resume" is it seems he moves on frequently.

Fixall

Gold Member
Platinum Member
I guess I'll be the negative Nancy. Please keep in mind I am a huge fan of Buck and want nothing more than for them to succeed.

I gotta be honest, I don't know how to feel about this but I am pretty uneasy. I kind of figured something was up when the BCCI had the huge leadership shuffle (for a while it looked like the future of the club was in jeopardy). John Foresman and Larry Oden stepping down from BCCI was huge. As was the departure of Mr. Cooper from Buck. :(

I can't say that I was a fan of Mr. Tobiassen's previous company Crimson Trace. I personally think they make gimmicky garbage. I also can't say that I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson Knives considering they're all made in China and that didn't change when Smith & Wesson bought the division from Taylor. He was also one of the head honchos for Danner boots after Lacrosse purchased the company... Right about the time Danner boots had a huge dip in quality. I imagine this has been in the works for quite some time since Mr. Tobiassen dumped all his Smith & Wesson stock back in June of 2020. I certainly hope Mr. Tobiassen hasn't had anything to do with the recent changes, because frankly I don't agree with them.

No longer producing exclusive knives, leaving companies like Copper & Clad and SKBlades in the cold. I understand Covid had played a role in this.
Selling limited production, exclusive BotM knives... And then selling that same knife in the custom shop... For a cheaper price.
Selling excess SKBlades 104 blanks as BotM knives.
The cleavers, which look exactly like any number of cleavers from several companies.
Moving from TDLC on the AG knives to Cerakote.

Last edited:

Tecate

Gold Member
I guess I'll be the negative Nancy. Please keep in mind I am a huge fan of Buck and want nothing more than for them to suceed.

I gotta be honest, I don't know how to feel about this but I am pretty uneasy. I kind of figured something was up when the BCCI had the huge leadership shuffle (for a while it looked like the future of the club was in jeopardy). John Foresman and Larry Oden stepping down from BCCI was huge. As was the departure of Mr. Cooper from Buck. :(

I can't say that I was a fan of Mr. Tobiassen's previous company Crimson Trace. I personally think they make gimmicky garbage. I also can't say that I'm a fan of Smith & Wesson Knives considering they're all made in China and that didn't change when Smith & Wesson bought the division from Taylor. He was also one of the head honchos for Danner boots after Lacrosse purchased the company... Right about the time Danner boots had a huge dip in quality. I imagine this has been in the works for quite some time since Mr. Tobiassen dumped all his Smith & Wesson stock back in June of 2020. I certainly hope Mr. Tobiassen hasn't had anything to do with the recent changes, because frankly I don't agree with them.

No longer producing exclusive knives, leaving companies like Copper & Clad and SKBlades in the cold. I understand Covid had played a role in this.
Selling limited production, exclusive BotM knives... And then selling that same knife in the custom shop... For a cheaper price.
Selling excess SKBlades 104 blanks as BotM knives.
The cleavers, which look exactly like any number of cleavers from several companies.
Moving from TDLC on thhttps://i.imgur.com/fOMUh0F.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/fOMUh0F.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/fOMUh0F.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/fOMUh0F.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/fOMUh0F.jpg?1e AG knives to Cerakote.
I sure hope they don't move more manufacturing overseas under the new management. I thought they were making great strides in bringing it back to the US and then I see a bunch of brand new China made knives in the 2021 catalog. :(

Tecate

Gold Member
I am also thinking of the little perks Buck added like the inexpensive re-blade and spa treatment. I hope those don't go away or go way up in price. I better get my pile of knives slated for spa treatment shipped out this week.:eek:

Daniel

Gold Member
I have seen this in numerous "family" businesses and it is a BIG mistake! The legacy and culture will be gone.

Maybe, they did not feel that anyone was qualified to lead the company in house?

I don't know the guy and my opinion has nothing to do with him personally.

TAH

Gold Member
I did like that Buck has been a family owned/run business for generations. Sad to see that end.

Did I miss something? The company is still family owned, correct? Is CJ stepping down? He is listed as CEO, which generally speaking is the highest-ranking officer in a company. The article says Tobiassen will lead daily operations, but does it mean he will be making all final decisions without CJ's consent?

Looks to have a great background and I expect this is a good move for Buck or CJ would not have done it.
The only concern for us will be his attitude towards the collecting community, limited editions, and SFO's.
I suspect supporting BCCI is more gratis than profit.

My question to the rest of you...
How much impact do you think the presence of a small group of aficionados thru collecting
and forum activity
actually have on brand recognition in a real economic sense?

I'll throw out something that was discussed a while back in regards to a different manufacturer. It seems that it's less of the positive economic effect that we have, and more the negative. i.e. we're a lot more critical of things then the general population. When average joe out there googles some knife he wants and they see negative comments it has a far greater effect than any of the positive reviews do. So manufactures have to do all they can to satiate the mob, before the pitch forks and torches come out. :p

I'll be very interested in the changes he causes in the company.

man may plan but as with everything
concerning buck, its the Senior Partner who decides.the eventual outcome.
so come what may, i m sure the words of the late chuck buck (rip) will still ring true...
". The fantastic growth of Buck Knives was no accident. From the beginning, management determined to make God the Senior Partner. In a crisis, the problem was turned over to Him, and He hasn't failed to help us with the answer. .."

Lesknife

Platinum Member
The way I see it is CJ still has the reins, he just got a different horse to pull the wagon. Maybe it’s a different wagon too, I don’t know I just hope they still have most of the same load of wares they been hauling out of Post Falls. I wouldn’t like it much if they switch to a ship coming from China.

LostViking

Gold Member
This guy deserves his chance.

Sometimes outside influence can be a good thing.
Outside folks see things insiders tend to become complacent with.

The knife business, or any business for that matter is difficult. Especially in today's world.

No one wants to see a boat from China carrying Buck knives.
But by the same token, there is a lot of resistance here to price increases. You can't have it both ways.

I would pay more money for better Bucks. An American made Selkirk would have me positively giddy. I would pay the premium for such a knife.

But for businesses to survive and thrive, there needs to be a balance.

There is the old axiom,
"You can have it fast, cheap, or good"
But you can only pick two.

Let us not flush this guy down the toilet just yet.
He may take Buck to the next level.

Just my humble opinion of course.
And to be honest, i don't touch the numbers of Buck Knives many here do. I think I'm around 15-20. Just for reference.

YMMV,
LV,