Survial cooking recipe list...

I though that this might be a fun topic. :thumbup:
We all have to list our favorite woods foods, whats needed, and how to cook it.

Me? I like to take some spam and put it over a fire in the can for about 15 minutes same with chili. Well I'm sure you guys can be more creative. So lets have some fun with this and list our chow for the wild. :thumbup::):D

Little flat tins of kippered herring fillets, served with the point of your SAK on saltine crackers, and with a dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce on each one. :D Hardly what you'd call a recipe, but easy to carry and good any time any place.

I though that this might be a fun topic. :thumbup:
We all have to list our favorite woods foods, whats needed, and how to cook it.

Me? I like to take some spam and put it over a fire in the can for about 15 minutes same with chili. Well I'm sure you guys can be more creative. So lets have some fun with this and list our chow for the wild. :thumbup::):D

Hey ace, I think I know that recipe (with the Spam). Heat it over the fire for 15 min, remove the Spam and eat the can? :D

Doc

Little flat tins of kippered herring fillets, served with the point of your SAK on saltine crackers, and with a dash of Louisiana Hot Sauce on each one. :D Hardly what you'd call a recipe, but easy to carry and good any time any place.

You like the old red plasticized wrapping King Edwards? Long, narrow can. :D

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is a must have item. You peel the label, you need a P38, hog spoon and a pair of clean channel lock pliers. Peel the label, open it and set it on a rock next to the coals...stir. Add Tabasco, Tejas Pedro or Cholulu Sauce of your choice...

For the wilds, rabbit or squirrel and you pick and clean (wash off) wild onions and pack their chest with them and cook them with the back towards the fire so the chest cavity is a bowl for the onions.

Hey ace, I think I know that recipe (with the Spam). Heat it over the fire for 15 min, remove the Spam and eat the can? :D

Doc

Before you eat the can, you pack the can with carp meat and then cook that, throw the carp away and eat the can as well. :D

Bisquick shake and pour pancake mix is one of my favorites for breakfast. It's better for car camping than backpacking though since butter and syrup can be a bit of a mess in a pack.

For backpacking, the tuna packaged in the pouches instead of cans works well. It's a bit on the heavy side but it's flat and easy to pack. Bring some flat bread of your choice like pitas or tortillas or the stuff they make now that's specifically made for making sandwich wraps, and you've got a good meal that doesn't need heated or cooked.

Canned corn beef into a bag of the high priced spicey ramen noodles alittle cheese added make it even better .

I use a food dehydrator to dry fresh onions and sweet bell peppers and use these with McIlhenny's Louisiana hot sauce to spice up the ramen or other camp meals. home made Jerky and dry veggies add water and make a half way decent soup or stew.

Spam, canned corned beef, canned chili, King Edwards kippered herrings, Tobasco sauce, Yum. All my favorites for regular household survival. I grew up on that stuff.

But seriously, what's wrong with eating a carp in an outdoors situation? I never have, just curious. My friend the trapper agrees with you (he won't eat beaver, neither)...he also caught a bowfin recently, some long eely-like thing, he didn't want nothing to do with it, cut his line and paddled away. I suggested it might make good survival food, he smiled and agreed but he doesn't plan on getting into a situation where he might have to eat one.

Did ya know Spam is made up of the 3 holes ?

Earholes, eye holes and arse holes !!!!

A little tip for hiking food is to decant any tinned food into sealable bags so that they can be boiled in the bags and then you can also use the water for a hot drink afterwards !

Did ya know Spam is made up of the 3 holes ?

Earholes, eye holes and arse holes !!!!

Pitdog, LOL :) Yeah I knew that, so is your ballpark hot dog. Think about that next time you lay out $5 for one. It's all in the presentation.

And what's wrong with eating eyeholes and arse holes? All good nutritional value there. :)

Stinging Nettles!!:
DSCN1265.jpg

hahah

well i eat mostly fried canbeans and sausages

and other stuff in cans

Well boys i might not know about many things but i love to cook.. An easy dish that taste great. One minute rice with a hand full of dried shrimp. In a small container you should have some butter with a large dose of spices. Cook the rice with the shrimp when its done add the butter with the spices. Mix well and cook for another min. Finger licking good. Take dehidrated meat and soak it in a pot for about an hour. Take the water out and leave alittle more then a cup in it. Get the water boiling then start adding corn meal slow into it and stir the all time. Most of the time i would just add some salt. If you are planing on long hard walk add some butter with garlic powder. Good dinner and a good night sleep for me is the most important part for a long hard walk the next day.

Sasha

for an easy soup drink that is good for you... I have tried this one before but there are many others that are good too. I do carry sometimes extra sea weed that i buy at an asian store to add to the soup. Very good for you and taste better with a little soy sauce.

http://www.asiachi.com/inmissoup.html

I carry a few of them in my BOB too and when i go backpacking always.

bamboo sprouts! if you are lucky enough to come across wild bamboo in the spring, you can just pluck up the sprouts and eat it like that. the lower parts are tender and easy to chew. the "leafy" upper parts can almost make gum.

i dont know a lot of recipes but i do know some interesting ways to cook your food. among my favorites is "beggar's chicken", a southern chinese dish. basically you put a whole cleaned chicken in yellow clay and you put the clay into the fire. when the clay fully hardens, the chicken is fully cooked. i never tried this with a whole real chicken, but somebody told me before that rats tastes like overcooked chicken, so i had that once--overcooked beggar's chicken. :D lol it wasnt really so tasty... but, this method of cooking works with anything as long as they are not too wet. you can also wrap them up in leaves before putting the clay on them, for sanitation's sake. :D

lol blood i seen a version of it. With some pigeons, You clean the inside of the pigeon. Leave the feather on it. Cover it with clay and cook it. when its done break the clay open, when you pull it apart. The feather and the skin would come off with the clay. You got clean bird with little work. I seen it done with the beduin in israel. My dad said that thing tasted great. They would put the on the table and the guest would break it open.

Sasha

My favorite; Shoot luckless animal with arrow. After normal hours
of trying to recover animal from cliff it threw it self over, remove liver. pierce liver on green stick and set liver over small fire. Dress remainder of said animal usually in poor light , usual with large Bolo because I forgot the skinning knife.( I never forget my bolo) Stop and rescue liver from fire it fell in to and eat chard on the out side and raw in the middle. he only seasoning is ash. Must be my favorite I do some version most of the time.

Mike you forgot to add some sand its realy good to make the food more crunchy. It work as well for some meat and brings some crunch to the other dishes too. The best dish is the one that you keep in memory when at home. And wishing you been out there having same dish again........ The best dish is the one you never planed on.

Sasha

Back