Survial cooking recipe list...

My usual easy camping/backpacking meal is a packet of instant mashed potatoes with a tin of chicken or ham added. Quick, easy, one pot.

Add evaporated milk and chopped nuts (and/or trail mix) to cake batter for what I call "out in the woods pudding" (sometimes water or milk are necessary to thin it out a bit). Serve in ice cream cones.

The mashed potato packet can be mixed with a bit of cornmeal as an extender and fried or baked. Johnny cakes, hoe cakes... lots of names for them.

Codger

those dried instant foods are only good if u have plenty of water, last two hikes i was dying of thirst

and when one is licking wet tree leafs for water, dried instant food is absolutely worthless

hell

any kind of food is :D

okay

nvm

hahaha!

True. I always add more water than the container calls for, and drink plenty afterward as well. There is nothing like having a meal set up in your intestines like cement.:eek:

yeah, its only good if you go for a hike or camp near a water supply, a hike along a river or lake or something

otherwise u might find yerself dehydrated or out of water quite fast

My camp cooking is more Tim Taylor than Emeril, but I usually pack cornmeal with me and a little Nalgene pill bottle of salt. For breakfast it's that with whatever berries are in season. Dinner is that with whatever I've caught or gathered. In the event I strike out, I usually carry a few landjaeger, a can or two of fish, and some smoked oysters as an evening treat. It's also great for breading trout.

Once the leftover meal has congealed, it make a great improvised fishing bait. It sticks to the hook like snot and fish seem to love it. Dry cornmeal is also great snare bait.

Not only that, but a pound of cornmeal only weighs 16 oz or so ;)

You like the old red plasticized wrapping King Edwards? Long, narrow can. :D ...

I think my favorite brand says King Oscar on that plastic wrapper, but you got the idea. They seem to be somewhat seasonal down here, though. I haven't seen them in the store for the past several months. King Oscars seem to cost maybe 25 cents a can more than the cheaper (and only other) brand, but they seem to be slightly higher quality and with a bit more of a smoky taste. Adding a couple of squirts of Liquid Smoke to the cheaper brand is easy enough to do, though. Naturally, I pour off the juice for my cats before anything is added to it. That makes 'em happy little campers. But I don't have a can of either brand of the kippered herrings on the shelf at the moment, a condition I'll have to correct shortly. Certain things are staples in the diet of a man. :D

My Dad used to make what he called 'Hobo Stew' when ever we went camping as a family when I was a kid.
Basically he'd make a tinfoil bowl and chop up onions, green peppers, carrots and whatever meat we had handy. Then he'd pour in this sauce that he'd made before we left home and fold the top closed on the foil bowl
place bowl on coals and run down to the lake for a dip then come back and eat :)

Good Thread

Nephildevil, it ALL takes water. Even canned food and wet-packs- those just add more (heavier) packaging so the water stays in. So your objection, while noted, isn't completely valid.

---

Warning- when I camp, I do so to spend quality time with nature, and sometimes friends. Boring food and most things that come in poo-brown mylar bags are not invited as they are not quality food. As a result, some of this is more camp food rather than survival food. :)

Freeze dried corn, with hot water added. When rehydrated, pour off most of the water. Add butter powder, chili powder and crystalized lime juice.

Pour the seasing package of spicy beef or chicken ramen and a can of chicken or meat, into a bag of crushed nacho cheese or BBQ chips. Add lightly drained, cooked ramen noodles. Salty, but good.

Can of minced ham spread, on wheat thins or triskets- redneck pate. The ham spread also goes good in most ready to eat or just add water rice, pasta or potato packets.

One packet of Idahoan Four Cheese instant potatoes, small can of chunk ham or spam.

Package of spicy chicken ramen, cooked with just enough water to cover. DO NOT drain. Add flavor packet, can of chicken, and two or three big dollops (three or four MRE packets) of peanut butter. Add raisens, currents, peanuts, sunflower seeds, cashew, and/or chili or curry powder if you have any. If you are going to use GORP, you must pick out the chocolate, trust me on this- mission chicken with chocolate bits isn't very good eats!

One can of chicken, beef or vegitable soup, not a chowder or cream soup. Cook in pot normally, adding instant rice a little at a time until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid.

Chowders, cream based, and beef soups can have this done with instant mashed potatoes. Cream of chedder soup, "loaded" instant mashed potatos, and chopped ham or sausage is very good!

An instant white sauce can be made by adding three tablespoons of milk powder, one tablespoon of all purpose white flour, and a teaspoon of butter powder or a shot of oil to a cup of hot water. Mixed with canned or soaked dried meat and served on noodles, it is camp chipped beef gravy; with tuna and peas, on rice or noodles, camp tuna pea wiggle. For a thiner white sauce, 2:1 ratio between milk powder and flour, I don't recommend anything less than that.

1 packet MRE hashbrowns with bacon, mixed with four-five cheese spread packets, and warm thoroughly. MRE scalloped potatoes, or as close as you'll get.

Jello- great as a hot beverage.

If you have white sauce mixings, add it to 3 tablespoons of sugar and a bare pinch of salt (tiny shake- you just want to bring out the flavors, not make it salty) in the bottom of a bowl (canteen cup will do). Slowly pour in hot water, stirring constantly, until it is spreadable. Add jam, jelly or marmalade packets if you wish, and any fresh berries. With raspberry jam and pinky nail-sized wild strawberries, this is a wonderful frosting for Mainstays or pound cake.

If you Google "bannock", you'll some up with plenty. Here's one from Canada. You can add raisins and a bit of fat.
Campfire Bannock· 4 cups flour · 8 tsp baking powder · 1 tsp salt · 1 tsp sugar · about 3 cups cold water
Mix dry ingredients. Add water. Put whole in fry pan, turn over when brown - done when wood sliver comes out clean. No fry pan? Wrap around a stick and roast.

Iron i would go backpacking with you any time you are my man lol. I like your ideas.

kamer,
I make something similiar, meat, whatever veggies you prefer, diced potatoes, mushrooms, in a double wrapped tin foil. Dose it with teriaki sauce. set it on the grill, coals, etc. when the foil puffs up it is done.

Sasha,
I have cooked in clay, when I was 13 or 14 I lived in the woods for a week and birds cooked in mud or clay was the staple. Works well, it kinda steams the bird and it falls apart when you break it open. There's not as much meat on a jaybird as you would think.

I like to take along a couple of stainless kabob skewers and crawdads grilled on the fire can't be beat.

true true, it all takes water and canned stuff weights a ton

i also fer short aswell as long hikes i carry with me some basic bread and sausage
DSCN2141.jpg

Inspired by this thread, I'm in the process of smoking some fish for an upcoming hike, so I figured I'd post a real-time pic:
smoker.jpg

There's snapper and cod in there and those two lighter colored patties on the right are made of ground sockeye, corn meal, and garlic. The brine I used (overnight) was red wine, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, lemon and salt. Next up is some beef (rouladen) that's still marinading in a brine of red wine, soy sauce, garlic, cracked peppercorns and a bit of Bull's Eye.

I always make lots because I have a tendency to 'sample' about half of what I make !

I did a 3 day, 90 mile, self-support kayak trip on the Main Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho with little more than summer sausage, a brick of cheddar cheese, trail mix and a head of cabbage. It wasn't great eats but it kept us going on a very tight schedule. But I have to say, I still don't care much for cabbage.

Just got back from a trip to Alaska, and I'd have to say after a day of snagging sockeye from the rapids, there's nothing better than filling your stomach up with one of them roasted over a fire before heading back into town to smoke/can/freeze the rest

hehe this is actually a great thread!

A failed attempt at dried fish, i put it in a salt solution before i dried it, it was inedible :(
DSCN1472.jpg

A hard-boiled egg along the way is allways good:
DSCN1363.jpg

Or better yet, forget the egg and have a beer!
DSCN1447.jpg

lol

Back