Survival is the subject less than $100.00 for a great knife is the budget

What would you buy if you knew ahead of time you were getting stuck in the middle of no where, with only a knife.

Depends on the particular sort of nowhere. Different knives for different tasks.

If I'm just buying a survival knife for any and all situations under $100 though... probably a Cold Steel SRK.

It would depend on the flora, fauna and other characteristics of the "nowhere" but ... in your price range (and beyond it) I would choose a Becker.

Becker BK2 Campanion. Had one; it's a great knife. Nice survival knife as it can do anything.

I'm gonna vote Becker on this one as well. pick your poison.

Since I'm not sure where nowhere would be, I would opt for the Terävä Skrama as my one tool option.

I'd buy a good leuku or leuku/pukko combination.

Staying traditional and cautious, probably an ESSE or Becker. Maybe a used B.O.B. Be wary of selecting something too big.

Also, check out the new Gryphon M-10 Full Flat Grind. I think it might make a good outdoor blade. I really like my original Terzuola bayonet grind.

Becker tweeners or an ESEE, the 4 or 3 or 6. You can find them for sale on the exchange.

Last edited:
Since I'm not sure where nowhere would be, I would opt for the Terävä Skrama as my one tool option.

Why do I feel like that would make a perfect triplet to a leuku/pukko combination for the wild??

I am going to keep that in mind as a possible future replacement for my bolo.

Thx for that.

One Knife.... probably the Kabar Becker BK-7 or BK-9 at this point. The fact of the matter is that I generally don't much like using knives this large. But... one knife, there you go.....

Why do I feel like that would make a perfect triplet to a leuku/pukko combination for the wild??

I am going to keep that in mind as a possible future replacement for my bolo.

Thx for that.

Happy to help, but give credit to GREENJACKET. Never heard of the thing until he posted about it. Has a pretty solid review up on it, as well.

Ontario SP-52 or SP-53.

Gaston

You surprised me with this one. I kicked this around all afternoon without having a clear candidate, but I think you're on to something.

If I absolutely had to rely on one knife in the wild, aside from the specifics of design I would want the steel to be as close to unbreakable as possible. 5160, L6, 80CrV2, 1075 and laminate should all be available in this price range.

I'd buy a good leuku or leuku/pukko combination.

Staying traditional and cautious, probably an ESSE or Becker. Maybe a used B.O.B. Be wary of selecting something too big.

Also, check out the new Gryphon M-10 Full Flat Grind. I think it might make a good outdoor blade. I really like my original Terzuola bayonet grind.
I'm also thinking a smallish leuku.

My wife thinks anything beyond 100 miles of London is the middle of no where.

Modern Survival solution can be cash $$$£££ and cellphone.

But if we are talking forests and jungle and surviving beyond civilisation then its a little more tricky. I usually say whatever the locals are using, as its local knowledge that generally works best. But then again locals don't venture far from their village alone but work as a pair or team and never away from home for more than a few days. They are organised and go out prepared; its less survival more just knowing what they require and have it.

Anyhow, if I need to process a lot of material to build a temporary camp and collect food then I am a recent convert to the Skrama. Its big enough to get enough work done and better than a big blade, better than a BK; and most importantly not too heavy. Its the best compromise between a big knife and a small axe that I have yet found. Forest or jungle it would do both. If survival is keeping yourself out of trouble until you can get back to civilisation then the Skrama would do that in heaps.

This "one knife" fixation is to me a load of baloney, as its whatever you have on you at the time and to me thats starts with a Swiss Army Knife. Anything more is sensible preparation for any expedition be that to the mall or to the top of Everest. You can make a EDC do a lot, but if you can be pre organised for the worst then pack accordingly. An axe or big Silky saw might be more appropriate. A Survive?Knives GSO 4.5, 5 or 6 would be useful for lone travelling light, but so would anything. If its a walk in the park or just trekking then don't go mad, a leatherman would be fine too. What is in your day pack is as important: water, warm clothing/top, waterproofs, and some snacks (and the fact you have told someone where you have gone and when you might be back). Anything more than a day jaunt is an expedition and then pack what you want, just try not to take the kitchen sink.
Both Ray Meers and Bear Gryls do nothing unprepared, nor do any of the TV survival stuff.

While I'm being lecturous! The other fixation is that a survival knife must be built so it can't break. Any good knife shouldn't break. Survival is mainly about preserving energy, and having enough to get you out of the mess. Some big thunking heavy knife that doesn't cut well might well not ever break but its not exactly efficient. A lot of heavy knives are left in the truck or back home, just too heavy and hard work for what they do. No one wants to carry one far from home. If you start climbing steep hills regularly its the first to get binned. Thats why in the vast majority of "survival" situations its a little, normal, knife that are invariable used as they just might be being carried. The Skrama, at a tad over a pound, is the most "knife" I'd want to haul, and even then it would be a decision to take it.
I always have a penknife, or SAK Huntsman, or big Leatherman on me anyway; would feel undressed without one. My children think the same about their cellphones, and will google themselves out of trouble!! (With a father like me they have done Dad's survival course).

Last edited:
I have complete confidence that my Cold Steel Bushman would be more than enough to keep me alive. Highly underrated knife.

While I'm being lecturous! The other fixation is that a survival knife must be built so it can't break. Any good knife shouldn't break. Survival is mainly about preserving energy, and having enough to get you out of the mess. Some big thunking heavy knife that doesn't cut well might well not ever break but its not exactly efficient. A lot of heavy knives are left in the truck or back home, just too heavy and hard work for what they do. No one wants to carry one far from home. If you start climbing steep hills regularly its the first to get binned. Thats why in the vast majority of "survival" situations its a little, normal, knife that are invariable used as they just might be being carried. The Skrama, at a tad over a pound, is the most "knife" I'd want to haul, and even then it would be a decision to take it.
I always have a penknife, or SAK Huntsman, or big Leatherman on me anyway; would feel undressed without one. My children think the same about their cellphones, and will google themselves out of trouble!! (With a father like me they have done Dad's survival course).

Well, if you have only one knife, having it break would be bad. But what I was getting at was using hard-to-break steels, not heavy blade thicknesses.

Back