1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Survival Lilly knife

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Jhansenak47, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Wouldn't it be ironic if someone reviewed her knife in the same manner she reviewed the S1?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Dangerously, Pomsbz, thebrain and 2 others like this.
  2. cardo

cardo Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I didn't see a divot in her micarta handle for a bow drill. Wasn't that one of her pans on the S1 when she used the brass grommet for a bow drill and it chewed up the handle?

Dangerously likes this.
  3. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I like the knife insofar as it comes out of a load of destructive tests, long thinking, and plenty of dirt time. I hunt, fish, camp, and spend just about every day outdoors working with horses, so I know what it is like to search for that perfect knife. Lilly's work reviewing products and showing folks basic outdoor skills in various locations brought her to the conclusion that HER perfect knife wasn't out in the market. So she designed her own. I applaud her for it. It's not the knife I'd choose, but her style of bushcrafting, influenced as it is by the current trend of baton-featherstick-pry, calls for this sort of knife. It's the same school of thought that gives us most of the Becker line, the Busses, and the Cold Steels. Given her following and the real requests Lilly received for a knife she'd design, she responded to the market. I hope she makes some money, makes some people happy, and gets more folks off their asses and outdoors.

As for the knife itself, I agree that it's her take on an SRK. Given how much time the SRK spent as her primary knife, I suspect she looked at it and thought, "Its perfect except for this, this, and this." Maybe at some point she'll offer a replacement micarta grip scale with a metal reenforced divot for bow drilling as it was something she admired in another knife.

Zieg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    TIZWIN, fielder, Anrkst6973 and 3 others like this.
  4. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    Yup. Exactly.

5. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks Zieg, you saved me a lot of typing. My only criticism of the knife itself is that it’s a little thicker than it needs to be imo, even for its stated purpose.

BITEME, oldmanron and The Zieg like this.
  6. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    Well, that's always a heads-up...

7. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm beginning to think we were twins selerated at birth!

Brommeland likes this.
  8. Brommeland

Brommeland

Jul 28, 2003
    'Could be - I'm Norwegian.......

9. Brommeland

Brommeland

Jul 28, 2003
    That would be epic!

10. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    She lost me right then and there.

I have punished several S1 knives and was barely able to scratch one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

JasonJ, knoefz, d762nato and 3 others like this.
  11. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Overdramatization. Just like Hollywood. She created something like a train wreck that people felt they had to see.

buckfynn, Steel-Jaws and Pilsner like this.
  12. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    I have never seen one of her videos. But I watched the Fallkniven fall out on several forums such as this.

It kind of cracks me up.
    Hundreds of folks say they are great knives and have been using them for years.
    One person does something ridiculous, breaks one, and the internet bursts into flames about it.

Your over-dramatization/train-wreck analogy is a good one. Just because you can make a video, doesn't mean you should.

oldmanron and Uncle Timbo like this.
  13. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    It's kinda like some of the covers on Time magazine. They are all trying to draw attention and sell magazines or become known.
    But, I do not think one should trash a great company just for viewers. If she was good, her merits would speak for themselves.

14. unimogbert

unimogbert

Jul 15, 2015
    I think she might just be trying to make a buck after being de-monitized.

15. oldmanron

oldmanron

Jun 19, 2012
    Well, from what I can see ... she is doing something really (OK, *really*) well.

Go ahead. Have at 'er! Try to do it yourself:) There's hardly any competition out there.

The kid deserves mucho credit. Simple as that.

BITEME and JD Mandrell like this.
  16. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    I can tolerate her better than some youtube "experts". She's not the best, but she's far from the worst. I cringe everytime she uses a rock to baton of knife though.

Uncle Timbo and Anrkst6973 like this.
  17. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Let's see her EXCEL on Naked and Afraid. I don't mean exist either. Let's see her get on that show and maintain her body weight.
    The only reason some of you guys follow her is because she's a decent looking, younger gal, and I'm not calling anybody out in particular. Primarily because I don't know you. I'm just talking human nature here. Please keep this civil and don't get your bowels in an uproar. :thumbsup:

18. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Given that naked and afraid may as well be a scripted show, it doesn't prove much. At the end of the day, you can't control for luck, so it matters little what someone sets out to prove. Some will survive, and some will not

19. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    So being a hunter/gatherer is all luck?

20. rwc53

rwc53

Dec 21, 2009
    Why would any sane person go into the wilderness naked, unless forced to do so? That show is purely for entertainment. Not saying the folks on there don't have to survive under difficult circumstances, just saying the whole concept is ludicrous.

JD Mandrell, jmh33 and buckfynn like this.