Survival Pouches/Sheaths

As much as i would love to pick up a Lost Mountain Iron Works sheath i just cant justify the cost nowadays.

So, i figured i would start a thread to talk about alternatives. Lets see, or hear about, your own cheaper versions of survival sheaths. I know everyone has ESEE pouches, but i am looking more for pouches attached to sheaths that weren't meant to be, but work well!

I've tried several different sized pouches myself from Tactical Tailor, Condor, and Maxpedition and i've found that the Maxpedition Strobe pouch is the perfect size to fit most kydex sheaths for 3" + blades.

Here's 2 of them on a SY 711 sheath from azwelke.

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

Heres one Im finishing up for a full size custom Tracker knife. Sized for an altoids tin. I like the way it came out, and Im gonna do another one for my F1.

leather003-10.jpg

I hope to have some pics to post soon but I recently picked up a single AR mag shingle and it fits perfectly on my BK2 sheath. Looks like it'll hold plenty of survival kit without being overly bulky. I'm not a fan of the pouches sticking out a lot. Seem to hang on everything. It is open top but my plan is to put the contents in a ziploc freezer bag and then use the bungee on the top to secure everything.

Charlie

Strobe pouch is great! Here is a pic, I will try to update as I included a few different items and some water bags and purification tabs.

Only problem with a strobe pouch is the closure... if you had a sewing machine it would be alot better with a small mod....it's also bigger than a tin but that just means there's extra room. I'm not sure what the advantage is though... over an ESEE-Acc. Pouch?...... "cheaper versions of survival sheaths".... it seems like there's about a 3-4 dollar difference and by the time you add hardware/adapters they might be even.... especially on that first sheath. There is alot of "storage" room on that sheath though.

Chiming in because I make alot of Pouch Sheaths or Survival Sheaths, I've got my own pouches being made but I don't have the prototypes just yet.

I've mounted the Strobe Pouches but wasn't happy with the setup so I scrapped that project, here's one pouch I've mounted that came out pretty nice.

On a modified BK9:

DSC04079-1.jpg

DSC04078-1.jpg

DSC04086-1.jpg

I've also mounted that pouch on a couple machete sheaths (ESEE-Lite Machete):

DSC04255-1.jpg

It's hard to beat the ESEE Pouch though and I got my start by mounting them to smaller knives (3,Izzy, 4 etc.) and also knives they weren't made for:

ESEE-3 w/Tek-Lok
DSC04000-1.jpg

ESEE-4 Drop Belt-Loop
DSC04117-1.jpg

I've also mounted them piggyback on larger blades:

BK7/BK14 Pouch Sheath piggyback setup:
DSC03875-1.jpg

ESEE-6/Izula:
DSC03827-1.jpg

Similar setup but with a Dangler:
DSC04822-1.jpg

BK2 pack-mounted (FalconII):
DSC04517-1.jpg

BK2 pack-mounted (FalconII):
IMG_0558-1.jpg

BK9/14 Piggyback:
IMG_0536-1.jpg

Bark River Bravo1:
DSC04773-1.jpg

Sorry for so many pics but they're all pouch sheaths, hope this helps.

Eli

Last edited:
Those are really nice Godspeed!.

I like the extra room to put in an MRE hot water bag with purification tablets.

Hey Godspeed, I sent you an email, but could you email me some of you sheath pictures? We can't view pictures right now here in A'Stan as our wonderful network team at higher echelons are messing with the web filter settings and I can't get to your website either. Thanks!

ROCK6

Here is the pouch I found.

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

And what's in it:

IMG_0805.jpg

The red straw has some iodine tablets in it. The small plastic bag is a breastmilk bag. The rest should be self explanatory.

Charlie

Awesome set up! Thanks for the pics
Al

As much as i would love to pick up a Lost Mountain Iron Works sheath i just cant justify the cost nowadays.

So, i figured i would start a thread to talk about alternatives. Lets see, or hear about, your own cheaper versions of survival sheaths. I know everyone has ESEE pouches, but i am looking more for pouches attached to sheaths that weren't meant to be, but work well!

I've tried several different sized pouches myself from Tactical Tailor, Condor, and Maxpedition and i've found that the Maxpedition Strobe pouch is the perfect size to fit most kydex sheaths for 3" + blades.

Here's 2 of them on a SY 711 sheath from azwelke.

DSC01101.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

Great setups everyone... Just one (probably stupid) question... is there a real need of using such big hardware in those pouches? For the purpose of it and how much tension it will support... i think that you can get by with much smaller clips. Maybe just for the ease of manipulation with gloves or cold hands?

I only have a sheath with built in pouch (RAT7) and i don't use that knife much at all... Anyway, the only thing I have attached to other sheaths are a ferro rod and striker...

Mikel

Been messing with a Maxpedition Volta pouch on a new azwelke sheath i received yesterday. Its a nice size and slimmer than the strobe pouch. An altoids tin fits with enough room for a small flashlight and lighter or SAK.

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01669.jpg

I've kind of gotten away from carrying a lot of gear on my knife sheath and instead do a seperate pouch on my belt on my left side. Right now I use a Tactical Tailor SERE pouch which I really like. I have one of the older ESEE Rat Pack sheaths but I dont really seem to like that one and dont use it much anymore.

I like a modest pouch with my knife. Made this one myself:
IMG_0438.jpg

It holds a firesteel and a 'field strop' which I also made with some left over leather scraps. It's double sided; green on one side, black on the other.

IMG_0440.jpg

I know this isn't much compared to what a lot of you guys have but I like it.

You all have some pretty sweet rigs though!!

Last edited:
I used a custom made box on my BK2 instead of a pouch.

5700819345_8b299af1c9_b.jpg

5543821574_4c74523c11_b.jpg

Having the absolute essentials attached gives me peace of mind.

Back