"Survivalism" vs. "Choosing to Prepare"

In that 1950's early 1960's Civil Defense ad it states a minimum of two weeks food and water. FEMA states a minimum of 3 DAYS food and water. My, how times have changed. Is FEMA being short sighted or realistic about what the average citizen is willing to do to prepare? I would guess the latter is likely.

I'm not interested in the on- going semantics argument. I would say that if more average citizens were "prepared" ( more like the two weeks) to survive a real disaster there would be less need for a hysterical bug out en mass. You can go and play in the woods if you want. I'm sitting tight with my wood stove, canned goods, and septic.

Sometimes I catch myself wanting something sort of disaster to pop up just to justify all the time, money and energy I've spent preparing for it. Then I realize it's not the justification I want. I hope for the occasional typhus epidemic or a zombie holocaust just for the change of pace.

I guess I always assumed I would live in interesting times and I'm getting old enough now to be disappointed.

pffff

this thread has become far too political for me

i'll keep my opinions on some of these posts to myself

Interesting discussion. It seems to me that common usage of the term now tags survivalists as extremists (left or right doesn't matter, not mainstream) and pictures of Ruby Ridge, Waco and guys in militia uniforms are what people think of when they hear the term -- right or wrong. The term has been taken to describe extremist nutjobs even though there are few (and possibly none of us) who fall into that category.

But how do I think of myself? To be a survivor you need something to survive. If I lived in NOLA during Katrina or the midwest as a tornado passed through, I may be a survivor; but did I thrive in the chaos. At this point I'm just making preparations to survive because so far the CA earthquakes and wildfires, and the general breakdown of society hasn't happened. So I continually update supplies and rotate food that I eat every day. These preparations will continue until something catastrophic occurs and the power and water stop flowing, and the grocery store shelves stop being refilled. Until I start using my supplies to just get by I'm just a preparedness geek.

What about wilderness survival? Mostly what I see with the guys and their primitive shelters, and their friction or spark based firemaking is campers taking roughing it to a higher level. Then when they walk out after "surviving" in their primitive shelter and eating a rabbit they snared over a fire they made from scratch, they get into their Subaru Forester and drive home to get a hot shower and a good meal with the family -- not survivalists.

Maybe I don't live the right lifestyle. I live in a suburban house and get a paycheck every month which is used to pay bills and buy things. I live "on the grid" and don't raise livestock or grind my own wheat. If I lived on a farm that was off grid and did in fact raise and prepare my own food on a continual basis, then maybe I'd consider myself a survivalist. . . but I'd call myself a farmer, BTDT and I was only summer help. If I had a really big spread with solar and windmills, cattle and crops, I'd be a rancher.

You guys can call yourselves anything you want, but I don't want to be tagged as anything but mainstream and until the media changes their presentation of survivalists (not survivors AKA victims as in Katrina), I'll do whatever I need to not be painted with that brush.

Meantime, I'll just keep preparing.

It's just like Richard Marcinko says in his "Rule Of The Seven P's": "Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance." The "Rogue Warrior" is never wrong!

Interesting discussion. It seems to me that common usage of the term now tags survivalists as extremists (left or right doesn't matter, not mainstream) and pictures of Ruby Ridge, Waco and guys in militia uniforms are what people think of when they hear the term -- right or wrong. The term has been taken to describe extremist nutjobs even though there are few (and possibly none of us) who fall into that category.

And another group of fearmongering extremists are the ones pushing the agenda.

In order to keep the money rolling in, they have to have these strawmen to prop up and point at. It's really that simple.

Until I start using my supplies to just get by I'm just a preparedness geek.

Are you going to wear clown shoes? How about "Prep Monkey?"

What about wilderness survival? Mostly what I see with the guys and their primitive shelters, and their friction or spark based firemaking is campers taking roughing it to a higher level. Then when they walk out after "surviving" in their primitive shelter and eating a rabbit they snared over a fire they made from scratch, they get into their Subaru Forester and drive home to get a hot shower and a good meal with the family -- not survivalists.

Now you are having a crack at defining survivalists, you have a high paying job waiting for you with a bunch of cubicle-dwelling extremist clowns typing up white papers on people that are statistically insignificant.

Maybe I don't live the right lifestyle. I live in a suburban house and get a paycheck every month which is used to pay bills and buy things. I live "on the grid" and don't raise livestock or grind my own wheat. If I lived on a farm that was off grid and did in fact raise and prepare my own food on a continual basis, then maybe I'd consider myself a survivalist. . . but I'd call myself a farmer, BTDT and I was only summer help. If I had a really big spread with solar and windmills, cattle and crops, I'd be a rancher.

If you are preparing to survive, you are, by definition, a survivalist. If you wish to use the definition of extremists talking about other extremists, go ahead! People should ignore what you have to say on those issues, however.

You guys can call yourselves anything you want, but I don't want to be tagged as anything but mainstream and until the media changes their presentation of survivalists (not survivors AKA victims as in Katrina), I'll do whatever I need to not be painted with that brush.

Meantime, I'll just keep preparing.

It's not even what I want to call myself. I'm talking about WORDS. I'm not telling you to put a yard sign out, I'm just telling you to defend the language instead of creating a cloud of BS that's not going to do any good.

You're waiting for the media to change? Don't hold your breath! YOU have to change them. You're NOT going to do so by calling yourself a Preparation H Monkey or whatever cutesy term you can come up with. There is a term for it, you don't have to get it printed on T-shirts, but when something comes up, don't run from it.

The best thing that could happen right now is that the 17 tinfoil helmet, turd smeared "extremists" spread out from Wyoming to the Pacific Coast would now embrace "Preparedness Geek" as media camouflage for their NEFARIOUS PLOTS! :D

. . . If you are preparing to survive, you are, by definition, a survivalist. If you wish to use the definition of extremists talking about other extremists, go ahead! People should ignore what you have to say on those issues, however. . . :D
By who's definition am I a survivalist? Are we strictly going with dictionary definitions here?
One who has personal or group survival as a primary goal in the face of difficulty, opposition, and especially the threat of natural catastrophe, nuclear war, or societal collapse.
Then sure, anyone who buys extra food or water when a hurricane threatens is a survivalist. Anyone who puts plywood over their windows could also be a survivalist. Using that definition, survivalism is very mainstream. So why does it seem that it's not mainstream? Common usage. Those folks preparing for a hurricane are not considered survivalists even though a dictionary definition would seem to put them in that category. Does that person think of him/herself as a survivalist? I doubt it. He's just a homeowner on the Gulf Coast.

Most folks though think of survivalist with "nuclear war, or societal collapse" in mind. If a nuclear war comes along it will be followed by societal collapse and my small cache of supplies won't carry me very far. That's not what I'm preparing for -- no fallout shelter, no fortifications.

I have never liked the term 'survivalist'. Unlike some who have posted their thoughts on the subject, I do not find 'survivalist' to be sufficiently descriptive. Everyday life is about survival too - we work for a living, eat, sleep, and attempt to ensure that our futures are reasonably secure. We encounter risks on a daily basis, evaluate them with survival (in the broadest sense) and prosperity in mind, and act accordingly. Wearing a jacket outside in the winter is about survival. Cooking store-bought meat before eating it is about survival. Putting away some money for retirement is about survival.

Further, I don't think that it is any identifiable difference in their will to survive that sets many self-identified 'survivalists' apart from other people. I am always impressed by stories about what ordinary people can and will do to survive in extraordinary circumstances. In an emergency, the folks who have undertaken some planning and the folks who haven't aren't differentiated by goals - they are differentiated by the presence or absence of preparedness.

For these reasons, I prefer the notion of preparedness. I survive every day, and that's part of the status quo of my life. And I take extra steps to prepare for possible situations that fall outside the normal and familiar. Having a BOB and supplies to shelter in place is about survival, and I won't mince words about that. But so is washing your hands. The former denotes an awareness of risk and a mentality of preparedness that exists above and beyond the everyday.

Just my $0.02 CDN.

- Mike

This whole thread has made me feel a bit inadequate.... There are lots of great posts here, by intelegent people... some agree with eachother... some don't. I think everything that could be said... has been said....

.... I just wish my posts would have been significant enough to be put under the microscope and ripped apart word for word....

.... and to think...in highschool I was voted "Most likely to become a chronic Master-Debater"... or atleast that's what I thought it read.:jerkit:

Good thread guys, glad my 0.2 wasn't thrown back in my face.
Rick

Back