Survivalist knife folks, a question.

Who makes that wood handled ferro rod w/ thermometer?

unfortunately I don’t know. It’s unmarked and the bookmark was dead so I deleted it. I can’t find it on the web. There are a few like it, but not from the same guy.

It has a liquid filled compass on the end of the handle too.

A few ideas for you. Ferro rod in conjunction with #0000 (extra-extra-extra fine) steel wool and ..... dry tinder, inner tubes cut into tiny pieces, cotton balls and vaseline, jute twine that you"birds nest or fluff" out, fatwood. Get yourself a pencil sharpener, a carpenters sharpener works too for "pencil" sized sticks, makes nice small fire starter and sticks are easy to find. It takes awhile, but works pretty well.

Anyhow, just a few things I've messed around with and seems to work fine. Be advised, the #0000 steel wool burns very hot and very fast so be careful. Like others have said, square up the spine of your knife for ferro rods and shaving magnesium blocks.
Mike

9ee8537e-af5e-4708-93dc-1a1c55ba869f_1.0510753e5135d58921c9ecfe0195ed0a.jpeg BIC- LONG_.jpgsilky saqw.jpg western ax.jpeg

all you'll ever need to start fires in the woods.

Of course ration heater tablets, steel wool, metal matches etc are nice, but if need be you can get by with nothing but the above. Even with very wet wood.
The picture of the 3-pack of road flares didn't come out too well, but I think you can see what it is.

Back