Survive! Knives Heads Up

Also, Chiral, your idea is amazing. With that though only the buyer gets to contribute to the happy couples eternal happiness. If we want to take up any type of SURVIVOR! collection, count me in!

That's a nice gesture!! I would sell it here. I'd sell it for $350 because it's a one of a kind and it has a custom sheath, I would bill it as such. The $350 covers shipping but not the PP fee.

That's a nice gesture!! I would sell it here. I'd sell it for $350 because it's a one of a kind and it has a custom sheath, I would bill it as such. The $350 covers shipping but not the PP fee.

I do not disagree, but would the essence of bidding raise more money than just a set price?

What about a raffle?

I thought about this initially but wasn't sure it would be allowed on bladeforums, also am a little hesitant about how to collect raffle money - I think Ellie would be annoyed to have a bunch of little paypal notes flowing in to their address, i could have them flow into my account but want everyone to be confident I'm not embezzling the funds, etc. If there was an actual physical hat to put names/tickets in, then have someone draw out of the hat... I just don't know how to go about it over the internet.

By the way, Ellie said, "no flowers, flowers die." :)

I love the idea of this chiral. I'm just not sure how to advise to get it done. But I'd be on board if you can figure out the logistics.

Good idea! Show all the names going in and one name being drawn. You can do two or whatever in case of anything happening to the first.

Where is the page where knives are showing up for sale - I've seen several references to it, but this newbie is clueless. Link?

Thanks,
TR

Can you post a link to the FB fan page - I can't seem to find it (tried several searches, which seem to be out of date).

Can you post a link to the FB fan page - I can't seem to find it (tried several searches, which seem to be out of date).

here you go TR:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1266135-Survive-Knives-Fan-Group-on-Facebook

I also bumped the thread for you... I tried to figure out how to link to the group itself, but not sure if me cutting in pasting while i am logged in will work or not... let me know if you have trouble finding it still and I will see what i can do !

Alright, regarding the idea of a raffle for the test-knife, I like that idea best since it allows folk to contribute a little to a good cause with the potential to get something neat in return. The trick may be that raffles are highly regulated, it may be illegal for me to try and conduct such a thing online. I could get around it through a donation-site like Crowdrise.com, but they do charge ~3% of every donation and require a personal subscription. Still, I could arrange that with a standardized donation amount as a raffle "ticket", and folk could choose to "purchase" as many "tickets" as desired to increase their chances in a drawing at the end... that would probably raise the most cash... so long as I'm not violating any laws in the interim. I could possibly even arrange that all donations go straight to Ellie so no one can question my honesty in the matter, though I'd then need her and Guy's compliance in the drawing, unless I could arrange for automatic e-mails to be sent to me with every transaction... hmm... I'll explore that angle further.

If a raffle won't work, it'll be an outright sale following OBX's suggested price of $350, and I'll definitely post a "heads up" - I think the price will deter non-fans and the sale thread will be worded as "PM your 'I'll take it' to maintain anonymity, earliest PM by bladeforums timestamp has first dibs" or something. I'm not as big of a fan of this method, because it doesn't allow a bunch of smaller gifts from folk who can't afford it, and it's a "race" just like the Survive! Monday sales ;) but it's much more straight forward.

Opinions? Chiral should sign-up on crowdrise and notify y'all of where to go to enter vs simple single sale?

Ellie and Guy are not allowed opinions on the matter! :) (They already told me not to bother, but it's their fault for sending me the knife in the first place, putting me in this rather unique position)

I'll be happy to buy into the raffle system, if you think that'll generate enough revenue. Like you say, the sale might be more straight forward, though.

Regulation schmegulation! That's a dumb rule and deserves to be broken. A little raffle between friends on a forum for a good cause caint hurt nobody.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

POST EDITED to remove incorrect information! I certainly promote following the rules. I apologize.

Last edited:
Chiral I have seen benefit auctions here on the BF. Look up Neva and Shadowyn recently. Lorein and others did it. Just open the bidding and give a time frame. We all watch it go...

I checked it out :thumbup: BF forbids auctions directly through this site, but you can host an auction off-site and accept e-mailed bids and just keep folk up to date. That would be an alternative to the bay. Although I don't want to press people for more $$ for a used knife, straight sale is simpler. Buyer could use paypal-gift, cash/MO as preferred.

Moderator RevDevil replied to a PM and is checking on raffles today. The way i see it, straight-sale makes one person very generous, raffle can make many people feel generous as their means allow and offers the excitement of a giveaway. *shrug* To get $350 in $5 donations takes only 70 entries and folk would be allowed multiple entries. If it were published here and maybe in General and the facebook fan page, that might get enough... but if there's a 3%+ fee we'd need more entries. And I think it'd have to be restricted to paypal-gift transactions for ease of collection and randomized drawing. I could also offer some 2nd & 3rd-place prizes via UKE's.

I'm working on it :)

Ellie and Guy are not allowed opinions on the matter! :) (They already told me not to bother, but it's their fault for sending me the knife in the first place, putting me in this rather unique position)

:thumbdn: hahah

Just sell it and put the money toward your kids' college fund.

Back