Survivors- Your favourite fixed blades.

XtianAus

Gold Member
If a knifemare came to be and you were forced to reduce your collection to just 4 knives, which (of any brand) would you choose to stay with you?

Considering this a survive! forum, i will assume that the majority would have at least one survive knife amongst your top 4.

Please post photos of your top 4 knives below!

Gso 6 (#02)
a34e49b3b7221d7b1b4326abb60b43ea.jpg

Busse choil-less tank buster
132cef1d267d9bd3db0fdab07ca61b2a.jpg

Busse team gemini crusader
ca7ce11a46ac253d7b09609fa0b19d24.jpg

Zt 0560 full ti
896f57840cef64ffebb86577204c6e8a.jpg

jamtgagar@gmail.com

Very nice choices! I'd be more than happy to be stuck with those 4 too!

These are my four favorites (fixed blades). If I had to get rid of everything else, I'd be forced to keep a big blade in lieu of one of these, but I find myself carrying one of these four the most.

S!K 3.5 in 3V, just disappears in your pocket and so handy.

CPK Field Knife in 3V, a serious, excellent all-arounder.

Swamprat Custom Shop Rodent Trail satin finished and ground to a drop point. This is the best field-dressing knife for game I've been fortunate enough to use. This is .170" thick. If I could get it in .135" 20CV with no other modifications it would be near perfection, for my uses.

Swamprat Custom Shop Ratmandu ground full flat and to a drop point, a very good field blade for any use short of chopping.

Last edited:
Thanks HK awesome choices :D

I have a rmd coming in very soon.
I hope also to snag a FK if i am quick enough in the near future.

& who could forget the 3.5
Seems like a perfect go-to size.
I usually use my folders as my main go-to blades but i see more advantages of short fixed blades over folders. Might have to try snag a 3.5 someday too :)

Do you find any need or advantage of the 3.5" blade over the 4.5" (ish?) FK? The 3.5 seems much more travel and edc friendly i imagine.

Do you find any need or advantage of the 3.5" blade over the 4.5" (ish?) FK? The 3.5 seems much more travel and edc friendly i imagine.

Yes, exactly. Just very user-friendly and convenient to carry. If I were hunting heavier game or there was a greater chance of needing the longer blade for other chores, I'd carry the RMD or FK (don't have a 4.7 yet), but the 3.5 just goes unnoticed until you need it, and then performs really well for its size :thumbup:

I'll be very interested to see if the 2.7 can knock it out of its place, it's kind of like an old friend at this point.

it's kind of like an old friend at this point.

Haha ye for sure! Knives have sentimental value and i can see how you perceieve it as an old friend. I am the same with the knives that have served me well and been reliable and of great use.

I sold a ka bar tanto recently and almost wanted to suss out the buyer first to see if they would take good care of it. Unfortunately it doesnt quite work that way :D

Hmmm....

GSO-10 is used most extensively, no competition between it and my other choppers.

P1040668.JPG

The CfV 4.7...

P1050072.JPG

...would be in competition with this modified Ratmandu:

P1050349.JPG

And this knife from Bill Davis...

P1050342.JPG

... would compete with this one from Milan Mozolich

P1050334.JPG

And my fourth remaining blade would probably be a folder...

I complain about aspects of the CalyIII, but it gets used a LOT...

P1010389.JPG

...more than the Bone Collector which has a more comfortable handle for heavy use but is excessive for most applications and has a heavier blade and edge-geometry...

P1010871.JPG

...and more than either the SAK or the stockman though I concede that either has greater utility, but the lack of one-handed opening and a secure blade-lock...

P1050160.JPG

But in truth, I'd probably skip even the Caly in favor of my Leatherman Charge TTi (sorry no pic of that one, I should remedy that). That multitool beats all for versatility and goes everywhere in my pack, but i don't usually carry it on my person due to the weight and the fact that I can usually get by with a lighter folder and my Gerber Dime (which i prefer to the LM Squirt PS4 due to poor experiences with excessively tight construction).

If I was limited to 4 knives Ide go with my GSO 5.1 for my fixed, the 3.5 for a smaller fixed blade. Ide prbably pick the spyderco military for my folder. That leaves one spot. Im not sure what would go there. I love neck knives and have a ton of them. They are super handy.

But I think it would be a tomahawk or a massive chopper of a knife. Heres the thing. I dont really have a huge chopper. I missed the boat on a 12. I had a few different Busse beasts in my cart for Operation 2 weeks but never did actually buy any. The BB13 for instance. I have often thought of getting a cold steel ghurka kukri but I dont have much practical use for huge choppers. This leads me back to a tomahawk. I have a bunch and they are excellent tools. Kind of the original multitool if you think about it.

So naturally this leads me to the conclusion that S!K meeds to make a tomahawk!!!

Thanks Chiral for the lengthy contribution, always great reading your indepth posts :D

So naturally this leads me to the conclusion that S!K meeds to make a tomahawk!!!

Yes yes yes! Great idea, id sign up in a heart beat!
Gso Tomahawk would be amazing

Nice, i like those! That larger one looks like a hybrid between a machete and mini katana. Real nice!

Until I get the CPK-FK next week, these 4 should be it. They are a good mix of my favorite steels and design.

First up has to be GSO5.1 in CPM20CV

27301415954_2c73b5176c_b.jpg

Busse NMSFNO. In INFI of cos.

16104800670_b30b3e4f0e_b.jpg

Randall #12-9 in 14 grind in 440B

15875845692_5cea3caa61_b.jpg

CPK Light Chopper in D3V

27864626126_ced39b90c9_b.jpg

Don

Old King Cole,

I dig the kydex/flint kit on your GSO 4.7. Can you share where you got it?

You can order that Kydex and striker from Battle Horse knives...I had them do a few different variations of the kydex and they kept the patterns so they can make more.. Just give them a call and tel then Brian sent you .
Ask for Alicia or Dave (740) 995-9009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back