1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Uncle Timbo, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Looking REAL good there K9.
    I actually love what some call a ghetto finish. I don't like shiny knives.

K9-1 likes this.
  2. K9-1

K9-1

May 16, 2018
    Thanks! I got my Ratmandu last spring/summer and it became my go to hiking/camping knife. The blade coating was bugging me a bit so off it came. Then I realized I needed a smaller fixed blade and a member here let me know he was selling his and I jumped on it. I love the combo! For my big blade my wife got me a TRASH 2 awhile back and it's been a great blade also!

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  3. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Welcome to the Family!

K9-1 likes this.
  4. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Hey y'all, I'm thinking about changing the name of this thread. I'm thinking, Swamp Rat Chat.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?

5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I like it. Do we care that it has some SYKCO in it as well, since there's not a SYKCO forum on BF anymore?

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  6. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Swamp Rat and SYKCO Chat

inkynate likes this.
  7. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I've already thought of this as the unofficial chat thread for awhile. Speaking for myself, bring on the Rats and Dogs too :thumbsup:

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  8. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Anybody got a stripped Rat with a deep etch? Here's one of the dogs with a good one.

[​IMG]

Uncle Timbo, inkynate and bikerector like this.
  9. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    I have a deep etch on my Jackmandu, but haven't stripped it yet. It's lost a fair amount of coating through use though. :D

Uncle Timbo and Hard Knocks like this.
  10. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Do the JMDs have the rat whisker logo or the all caps logo? I've got one but it was already stripped from the previous owner.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  11. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    ALL CAPS :thumbsup:

Old pic from when I did the etch:

[​IMG]

Hard Knocks and Uncle Timbo like this.
  12. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Here...HERE!

Hard Knocks likes this.
  13. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012

Nice! I love the big logo! Yeah you got a good etch on that one Nate.

Uncle Timbo and inkynate like this.
  14. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks, that was my first etch attempt and it came out great. Salt water soaked Q-tips and a few 9v batteries.

My BG Hell Razor and CG BB13 got the same treatment. :thumbsup:

15. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Inky, that did come out SWEET! By using that method, how long total per knife?

16. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm getting much better results with the 9v batteries than I did when trying to use a car battery charger. Really happy with the 9v method.

@Uncle Timbo Tim, I don't think my etch on the Regulator is as deep as Nate's JMD but it took me about 30 minutes or so to etch before I stripped the coating.

Uncle Timbo likes this.
  17. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Thanks Dave. I've never tried it. @91bravo etched my Infiweiler and did a darn good job. He also sanded her sweetly and thinned her out a tad.
    I caught this the other day and thought it was a pretty slick way of removing rust. Your mention of the battery charger made me think of it.

bikerector and Hard Knocks like this.
  18. inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Like HK said I think ~30 minutes is about right. Most of the time isn't the acual etching but you have to keep switching to fresh q-tips and cleaning the steel in between passes because black crud builds up during the process.

19. Uncle Timbo

Nov 23, 2005
    Thanks brother. You know, even if you had to stand on your head while you did it, it would still be worth it!
    I'll see if I can get a pic of my Infiweiler. Jonny did a spectacular job on it for me. All the way around. I couldn't be happier, even if the Boss himself had done it!
    Thanks again Jonny.

20. K9-1

K9-1

May 16, 2018
    Thanks!

Uncle Timbo likes this.